Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visual Basic tutorial sites?

Options
  • 09-02-2006 7:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭

I am a secondary student hoping to do computer science in university, I was wondering if there was any good tutorial sites for Visual Basic just to get me a foundation going

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

believe me theres no need, most computer science course start with the basics and spend eternity on the basics.

when you get there's you'll probably start on something like C, C++ or Java so maybe their the best to look for

Visual basic isnt really done its visual basic .net, and mostly its drag and drop and you only code when you want to add functionality to a feature. where as C, C++ or java your going to code the loops, graphical elements and the likes

try looking for java, its free, its intuitive, the java doc's on www.sun.com will help guide you and you can amek programs using text pad as your editor ( though i might suggest a syntax highlighting one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭pilson

Hi,
    You probably will not be using visual basic at university.
    Use google to find some basic tutorials on Java if you want a headstart. good luck.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

There is really beginner tutorials at http://www.seangreasley.com
    It brings you all the way from just placing controls on the form and writing simple code all the way up to using WinSock, so they are quite good for beginners

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

OMG I just realised that the Sean Greasley videos are for VB6, which you have to pay for, and is a different language to the new one

You can get Visual Basic.NET Express Edition 2005 for free at the Microsoft website (its like the only thing they have gave away free that is worth talking about :))

And of course Microsoft have made videos to go with them, which introduce you do the the lanuage, and take you from the very beginning, all the way up to making an RSS reader

The legacy Visual Basic languages (VB4, VB5, VB6) are a completey different from the new VB language (VB.NET), which is the one most widely used now

You can download the VB.NET IDE from here
    You can watch the videos here
    To learn more about .NET languages (including VB and C#) go to www.learnvisualstudio.net where there are good videos and stuff to help you there

Hope this helps
    Timbuk2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

thanks for the help lads ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭ikoonman

Jakkass wrote:
    I am a secondary student hoping to do computer science in university, I was wondering if there was any good tutorial sites for Visual Basic just to get me a foundation going

If you have any questions PM me and I'd be glad to help

I also stumbled accross this great website today

http://www.freevbcode.com
    There is lots of code there that you can copy and paste into your programs. They are not really tutorials but can help you to know some tricks and that

PM for any help you might need, OP :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

you can copy and paste into your programs.
    No. Bad. Down.

Advertisement