Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Block exterior wall

Options
  • 09-02-2006 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭

Just about to order my timber frame with 6" exterior studs. Now I was thinking about not having a block exterior wall. Instead using cement board onto the timber frame and then skimmed. It would cut down on costs, and be a lot quicker. I will probably have to upgrade to 8" exterior studs instead to give the same insulation value. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

You can certainly do this but I would skin the outside wall with a layer of good quality ply and then run vertical battens down the ply then skin it with cement board. This will allow the wall to stay dry and reduce the need for extra insulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

Would I be ok with 6" studs then?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Should be, why should there be any need for deeper studs if the wall is kept dry?
    My wall is only 125mm deep plus the masonite and bluclad and airgap.
    As long as you use a good quality insulation you should be good.You could always add a batten inside horizontally and insulate with a thin layer of aeroboard on the Nth side to reduce cold bridging.

Advertisement