Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seller sold duff item refusing to refund what are my options ?

Options
  • 09-02-2006 8:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭

I just bought a ps2 from beekay and it has disc read errors dispite him saying that it worked perfectly. He has simply denied anything being wrong with it and via pm is accusing me of trying to give him a broken ps2 in place of his working one.

He has now said he wont be giving me my money back.

Is there anything a mod or admin can do for me ? Ive bought stuff on boards loads of times and this is the first time ive had someone do something like this. I dont know where he lives I just got his mobile number and meet him and his father in swords to exchange.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭ianmc38

Doubt it

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

should of asked to see it working before you took it.

Might just be dirty though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Don't think there's much they can do for you, besides maybe ban him from the FS forum.

Might just be dirty tho as Hobbes said, fingers crossed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

All I can hope for is an admin or someone warns him to do the right thing or he could be banned or something, I didnt think there was going to be anything wrong espically when his dad was there.

Ive been doing some searchs in google looks like theres a chance I can open it and fix it although thats not something I want or feel comfortable doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

From old posts it Looks he han't been using it for a while. Did you try cleaning it dude. Really you should have tested it and seen it working. That said I doubt someone who's been on the boards that long would deliberately try and pull a fast one.

I don't mean to state the obvious but, take a time out, count to 10 then try cleaning it. If after you've tried everything else then perhaps try and reason with him. That said, hes no way of knowing you haven't broken it and really theres no reason he should refund you.

With all optical devices, CD, DVD's etc the laser can act up with age. Simply moving it might have been too much for an older unit. You might have been just unlucky that it stopped working just as you bought it, through no fault of beekay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It could be the fact that he moved it that caused the problems. It might have been fine sitting under his TV but lugging it across the city could have knocked something loose. I'd give it a clean before anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Call around and kick his teeth in.

Actually that might be a bad idea.

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Lump wrote:
    Call around and kick his teeth in.

Actually that might be a bad idea.

John

The diversity of your posts never ceases to amaze me john.

David

I don't know if that's an insult or a compliment. But, I don't really care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Lump wrote:

It was neither, but if I had to stress one aspect, it would be on the fact that it's definately not an insult.

btw - You forgot to sign john at the end. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

youve obviously rattled him, proving that he does, indeed, care....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

Lump wrote:
    You need a hug :v:

On topic - sounds a bit odd. Any indiacation before you tuned it on that it could be broke. Scratched...etc.....

youve obviously rattled him, proving that he does, indeed, care....

Damn I've been rumbled!

John

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Buy a lens cleaning disc, PS2 lens often go, sometimes a cleaner sorts them out, sometimes not.

Whether they work or not can often depend on the game aswell as the condition of the disc, try other games and discs aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

HavoK wrote:
    btw - You forgot to sign john at the end. ;)

Damn you actually write that with each message?!! I thought it must have been your sig! I am surprised, I dunno why, but I am.

stevenmu wrote:
    Buy a lens cleaning disc, PS2 lens often go, sometimes a cleaner sorts them out, sometimes not.

Whether they work or not can often depend on the game aswell as the condition of the disc, try other games and discs aswell.

Its not the discs ive tried allot of games one of which was brand new.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Kristok wrote:
    There's not a whole lot the admins can do. It's a private sale, and although it was arranged here, it's nothing to do with boards.ie

To be fair, he's not going to get warned or banned on your say-so. Obviously you may not have any reason to make these things up, but who knows? If he does get banned/warned, and he's sold you the machine, what will he care? He'll come back later on with a new account, and sell something crap to someone else.

I sympathise with getting ripped off, but I don't know what exactly it is you expect boards.ie to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

seamus wrote:
    There's not a whole lot the admins can do. It's a private sale, and although it was arranged here, it's nothing to do with boards.ie

To be fair, he's not going to get warned or banned on your say-so. Obviously you may not have any reason to make these things up, but who knows? If he does get banned/warned, and he's sold you the machine, what will he care? He'll come back later on with a new account, and sell something crap to someone else.

I sympathise with getting ripped off, but I don't what exactly it is you expect boards.ie to do.

What about the boards.ie secret police?? We all know they exist, stop trying to deny it :p

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Aye, also I think it would be a bad precedent if we (Mods/Admins) stepped in to sales on the FS forae. The Mods of that branch have a difficult enough time already without having to police bad sales and reputation intricacies. I think this is the reason why complete transparency is invoked there by the - keeping all dealings on thread - rule. If they had to get involved at that level they wouldn't have time to use boards for their own enjoyment.

Sorry that this has happened though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Kristok wrote:

Its most likely the lens or the laser. Did you try a cleaning kit?

• Advertisement

Yea from what ive read it looks like this might be some dirt on the lense or something and may be fixable. Im going to try get something to try clean it assuming it dosnt cost too much dont want to dump more good money after bad.

Thanks for the condolences everyone suppose I just got done gotta deal with it. Ah well worse case I bought an expensive memory card and controller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Ag marbh

To be honest this is a fairly common thing. You shouldnt have even posted anything like this before trying to clean the lense.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,103 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Why not have a forum for "dodgy deals" Let both parties have their say and then people can look it up like a reference before they buy anything.

For example if someone was going to buy something from Joe Soap they can have a look through that forum and if he has had 3 or 4 complaints about things he sold then it would be like the old saying - "Let the buyer beware"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

i had a problem with the "read error", try moving the little white wheel at the back of where the lens is, until you get it to read, ever so slightly. best of luck anyway and be careful in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

In answer to the OP - Caveat Emptor - should have seen it working.

Advertisement