Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enquiring from Abroad

Options
  • 09-02-2006 8:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Howdy

I'm currently residing abroad, won't say where but ADSL is freely available and always on :)

Anyway I've been doing a mooch around to see would it be possible to get ADSL installed for My Parents who live in Portarlington(it's a suburb of Dublin at this stage so all should know where it is by now :)

1. Why is it that all are offering 1MB down and 128kb up with a usage restrictions either in hours or data size?

2. Is ADSL available in Portarlington(they live outside the town) and is it reliable? in other words will there be connection problems?

3. How much should they be expected to pay and are most offering free connection setup and modem?

Any advice anyone can offer would be appreciated

Regards

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

1. Because this is Ireland.

2. Not sure.

3. Have a look at http://www.btireland.com they are one of the cheaper DSL options. Also try http://www.smarttelecom.ie that is only available in limited areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 megashake

Thanks a million will check out those links...

Know anything about www.adslnow.ie came across is while searching

Regards

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Click here

http://159.134.203.172/search_bus.asp?business=portarlington&townbus=&countybus=All&SearchBus=Search&source=Eircom&ss=hp

That gives you a scad of real live Portarlington numbers.,

Now click here

www.netsource.ie

bang them numbers into the line checker in the middle of that page there along with your parents number to see if any get a pass .

Digiweb and Clearwire may have a wireless service around there too .

Thanks S. Bob!

Yep!, tried it and no joy, there doesn't seem to be any consistency in the results either, some numbers within the Town itself get a pass, some don't.. They're in the "Garryhinch" area, about 4-5 miles out in the sticks so I guess not a hope for now... I've been told that they have a new number, obviously they're needing more numbers in the area, well with Dublin moving down it's not surprising he he :)

I'll check out Digiweb and Clearwire over the weekend, you never know :)

All help is greatly appreciated so thanks once again ;)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

megashake wrote:
    Yep!, tried it and no joy, there doesn't seem to be any consistency in the results either, some numbers within the Town itself get a pass, some don't.. They're in the "Garryhinch" area, about 4-5 miles out in the sticks so I guess not a hope for now... I've been told that they have a new number, obviously they're needing more numbers in the area, well with Dublin moving down it's not surprising he he :)

If they have a new number, it may cause them to fail the test. The test gets run once a month, so you have to wait at least one month until after you get a new number before it will return a correct result.

You should also try the number with these guys:
    http://www.smarttelecom.ie/
    http://www.magnet.ie/subscribe/line.shtml

And you should also check with www.ntl.ie to see if they offer cable BB in the area (highly recommeneded).

BTW I'd go with Digiweb Metro before trying Clearwire.

BBTW you can get higher speeds then 1m, most companies are also offering 2m and 3m and some even higher.

• Advertisement

BK

NTL may be great but 5 Miles Outside Portarlington ?????????? , Really !!!!!!!!!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Sponge Bob wrote:
    BK

NTL may be great but 5 Miles Outside Portarlington ?????????? , Really !!!!!!!!!

Hey, I've no idea where the place is, I'm originally from Cork and I live bang in Dublin City Centre now, so my knowledge of surrounding areas is very limited :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Obviously you don't pat attention on the Cork Dublin train either. It's the town with the Odlums tower. :) Perfect for wireless.

damien.m wrote:
    Obviously you don't pat attention on the Cork Dublin train either.

Definitely not, I'm usually asleep :D
    damien.m wrote:
    It's the town with the Odlums tower. :) Perfect for wireless.

Ah, now I know where you are talking about.

Sorry megashake, you can forget about NTL being available there and probably Smart and Magnet as well, but worth a try.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Hmm i just did the same thing for kilcoole there places like the garage etc can get broadband there on the same exchange yet im closer to the exchange than the garage wtf!

• Advertisement

Thanks Lads! Jaysus the prospects are becoming very depressing :( Doesn't look like BB is possible all around the town,much less outside, anyway we'll keep lookin.. Yeah thye told me that they're to get a new number, the area code is changing and their own number also, have to call them and verify it..

I remember in the early 90's you'd say you were from Portarlington and you'd get funny looks, not anymore, well if you're of the house buying type you're defo up to speed, the train line has made the place, it's a changeover for going west or south and the new commuter services are in heavy use, standing room only lads.. I reckon if you stood long enough in one spot they'd build a house over you he he...

I'll check out those links, thanks once again lads, great to get info from some people who know what they're on about ;)

You guys tried the Speed Test * at www.internetfrog.com what speeds you get? :rolleyes:

Hi

Magnet: Nope
    Samrttelecom: Nope

http://www.digiweb.ie/athome_broadband_dsl_index.asp?i=1&i2=4&i6=1
    "To avail of DSL, your local telephone exchange must be DSL enabled. Your line is connected to an exchange which is not currently DSL enabled. There are a number of exchanges which will be upgraded in coming months"

Why don't NTL also have a line checker app? Do I have to call them up??

BTIreland: Nope

ClearWire: Nope, not even in the County

...anyway eircom have yet to upgrade the exchange, once they do all the above will be possible, until then we wait :)

megashake wrote:
    Why don't NTL also have a line checker app? Do I have to call them up??

They do, but you need to use your NTL account number, NTL comes over TV cable, not over the telephone line. Anyway I wouldn't bother, they wont be available there, I suppose you could ring if you want to double check.

megashake wrote:
    Hi

Smarttelecom: Nope

...anyway eircom have yet to upgrade the exchange, once they do all the above will be possible, until then we wait :)

Use the Smart line checker to find out the NAME of your parents exchange based on number , eg 0505122344 = BallyGoToLaois exchange .

Then check this list below here to see if that exchange is on it

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=204426&page=3

If it is not on that list it is unlikely it will be upgraded by end 2006 although there is a small unpublished list of 20 exchanges being done where politicians got pork barrel agreements or where funding 'appeared' so you get the elders to ring 1800503303 and ask if their exchange is scheduled.

Thanks SB

Exchange is PORTARLINGTON, and from your list the closest place I found is GEASHILL (between Portarlington and Tullamore) so I don't know, they'll technically be right inbetween 2 places that will or at least should have BB access so I don't know, a quick tinkle to 1800503303 might clarify things, we'll see

c,">

Apparently the local area code for Portarlinton 0502 is to change to 05786, this is to be sw itched over in May, you can call numbers on that code but the official switch over is May, well so My folks tell me anyway.. DSL access then maybe? :rolleyes:

you optimist :p

thats a no I'm afraid. What is their normal dialup speed ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

Portarlington is enabled, is it not?

Sponge Bob wrote:
    you optimist :p

thats a no I'm afraid. What is their normal dialup speed ???

I assume you're being ironic :) max 42kbps from what I can remember.. Mother tells me she wouldn't need broadband anyway but I was telling her about Google Talk and Skype etc she could see the value in it, mind you I remember trying Skype to landline on a 1MB/512MB connection here and I gave up so at 1MB/128k well forget it.. And then she asked if we'd be using a web cam?? dream on My Dear :)

Incidentally has anyone got skpe/google talk voice calls to work on a dare I say 'irish style' connecton, 1MB/128k ?

Fella I work with told me he knows someone who tried skype on dialup, I'll say no more..:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I've heard Skype working fine on dialup (40 to 44K).

The issues are:
    1) PC setup
    2) Packet loss
    3) latency (ping Time).

Web cam works on 128K upstream fine.

I have run custom Web video + audio on dialup as 28K WME V9 stream.

Skype seems to work less well on some IBB clients than on Dialup :)

Most adsl is now 2M/256K. Digiweb Metro (coming to another 20 areas soon) is wireless 3M / 512K and at my 12.5km distance is fine. It doesn't a phone line and comes with real wireless phone connection using separate bandwidth to the BB, just like NTL phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

watty wrote:
    Most adsl is now 2M/256K. Digiweb Metro (coming to another 20 areas soon) is wireless 3M / 512K and at my 12.5km distance is fine. It doesn't a phone line and comes with real wireless phone connection using separate bandwidth to the BB, just like NTL phone.

Are you not outside the 10km zone Digiweb are allowed to install people at seen as it is 10Ghz they are using?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

Are you not outside the 10km zone Digiweb are allowed to install people at seen as it is 10Ghz they are using?

I think that distance has been extended.

Edit: Here it is- http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055093429

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

http://lastmile.ie/coverage.html

http://www.icebroadband.com/ice/content/view/18/39/

Both services get bad reviews from most people who post here but are available in rural areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The licence areas for 3.6GHz and 10.5Ghz have been extended from 15 km and 10km to 20km radius.

That doesn't mean though that everybody can get it. The signal is weaker and LOS harder.

I'd imagine there might now be interest in getting higher gain aerials for subscribers, but it takes time to get and test new gear. Though there was talk of extending the limit I don't think anyone knew what was happening till Comreg announced the change.

Of course Comreg have not forced an Post to release their "secret" post codes that would reveal exactly where people live. Installers can come out and install gear and only much later it may be discovered from GPS where the location really was.

If we had public postcodes, the sales people would be able to check DSL/ Wireless / whaterver coverage more accurately before tring to install phone line/wireless etc. Some people don't live anywhere near where you think they do.

Advertisement