Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public-v-Private school

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭d4gurl

Is it me or is this is such a pointless thread? Is it pity thread? Oh I go to public school and all you rich kids have a better chance! News flash for those of you who think this way! At the end of the day it is up to the student to obtain their desired points. All school regardless of status provide the same thing - Education. I went to a private school and am now in the Institiute. All my realatives went to public and they did just fine! Oh and please get over the whole I'm rich your not rich thing! This is society today people - learn to live with it! Timay any chance of locking this thread - its wrecking the whole mood of our LC forum!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Psychedelik

d4gurl wrote:
    Is it me or is this is such a pointless thread?

Oh yes d4gurl, almost as pointless as the "random merged" thread. So many potential discussions, all merged into one big unmanageable mess! :rolleyes: That's another story.
    Any chance of locking this thread - its wrecking the whole mood of our LC forum!

Off to "random merged" with you if you don't like it. This covers "society", "education" and "leaving cert." (see boards.ie forum listing), so it deserves to stay here.

ANYWAY...

There are some excellent public schools out there that offer the best in acedemic or sporting or vocational facilities. Am I correct in saying that one of the top schools in Ireland is a public one? And then you will have private schools that are lacking in facilities. No school - public or private - is perfect.

It would appear that public school gives a person a more well-rounded view of society. Free Education schools will have a more mixed student base from varying backgrounds. Mixing social classes would relieve social tensions in the same way "mixed" boys/girls schools combats sexism between genders.

A number of private-school posters on this thread exhibited an elitist, pretentious attitude that I find totally repulsive. Did private education contribute in any way to their flawed understanding of society?

Also he said:
    Private schools get better results, therefore, without private schools the national average would be lower.
    - Wrong again!

Have you noticed, my dear D6 citizen, that there has been little grade inflation with the Leaving Cert., despite increasing levels going to private schools including institutes?

The reason for this is the design of the LC - so many A's, so many B's, so many F's. That's what examiners have to go by. What will happen in the case of institutes gaining better results is this - They take a unproportionate share of A's. The "bell curve" or "national average" remains the same.

There is a possible argument then for weighting the results of these institutes. The Leaving Cert. is designed to examine students in the State education system - i.e. from primary school to secondary. It is not supposed examine "Yeat's Colleges" that contribute nothing to society/the greater good and make a tidy profit in the process.

I would take greater issue with culturally-devoid cram schools than the public v. private argument. Anyone think likewise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭iggyman

private school is the gayest thing ever..im aimin this at all the fellas who go to private schools not towards the girls..

these are the muppets who will get beat up in the city centre and get there money and phone robbed off them..they think there safe over the south side of town on grafton street etc..they may get more intelligent in school but no noting street wise..and everything they buy wen there older like cars and stuff will get stolen as well because the robbers will know that he is just a little coward and cant do notin..

i would never go to private school theres more in life than just going to school and learning and gettin a good job ...theres no fun in that..so public school is alot better and if ya have a problem with that pm me..

ive just read hotasfunks thread..even doh shes a girl i think..im including her into this as well..id find someway of gettin into a private school for one day and cracking her across the face with a pole and then head back to my public school the next day..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

iggyman wrote:
    private school is the gayest thing ever..

nice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭d4gurl

Oh yes d4gurl, almost as pointless as the "random merged" thread. So many potential discussions, all merged into one big unmanageable mess! :rolleyes: That's another story.

Off to "random merged" with you if you don't like it. This covers "society", "education" and "leaving cert." (see boards.ie forum listing), so it deserves to stay here.

I said this thread was pointless because the whole topic had become derailed. The topic of discussion suddenley became a rich is better than poor argument. Through gritted teeth I agree with your argument. I do not need to justify the need for our many merged threads. Comments made by the such of Iggyman are the reason why I consider this thread pointless! Read through this thread properly and see the numerous stupid points made!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭MaxBax

That's good to know.

That's quite a fallacious statement. "Private schools" is not as specific a term as you may want it to be. Registered private schools (not private educational institutions, which are also, technically, private schools) are Department-based and are often supplmented by private wages. Additionally I can, if I so desire, set up my own so-called "grind school".

You would.

Right, so "convenience" aside, what you're saying is that private schools are more desirable for teachers. That's a good point, and is essentially the same point I made above. Taking the nicer staff rooms as an example, I'd assume you know that they're funded primarily by fees.

Basic intuition (and I'd assume you know what that is) will state that if one job is more desirable than another it will have a greater supply of applicants. This provides the school with two things: a greater choice of teachers, and greater bargaining power. Both of which lead to better teachers being employed, and ultimately better teaching for the kids.

My argument, as made above, is that the simple fact that their parents' wealth (and I'm assuming you don't pay for fees from your own return on labour) results in better teaching and, on average, better educational credentials.

I like to repeat my original mantra that I like to buy my educational credentials. I'd also like to supplement this with the statement "Wow MaxBax, you're so wrong."

sh1t. i suppose so.

Public School = Majority

Private School = Minority

Majorities always* pick on minorities.

For example..

Imagine walking down the road, and there's one knacker in front of you (more than likely attending a public school, anyway thats neither here nor there, as some people may start crying) and he sees you, he wont try and mug you, because he's alone. BUT.... if he's with the rest of his publicans(incorrect use, but it's an apt sounding term for this discussion) he'd have no second thoughts about bashin ya a big ould dig, ah wha!

So remember not to walk down an ally with a group public school goers hanging around in it.

Ah only buzzin with yas, wha!...!

*sometimes...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭iggyman

yeah that is ALMOST the case shrimp..its true about the majority and minority thing..but if you look at this thread ..its the private schoolers who pick on public schoolers in here mainly because there on a computer and they know there is no real way the person there slagging can harm them..unless they found out who they are and then there f**cked..they wouldnt have the guts to say it to there faces ..and even if they did they'd get dropped with a dig and mugged..

and are you talkin about travellers wen u say knackers? if you are then..im sure they would not have any trouble wen there alone to hit you for notin ..they dont mind if there on there own at all..and if ur just reagarding northsiders as being the knackers..you'd wanna watch wat ur sayin about people who ya dont know are like...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Assmaster_Kronk

Whats your problem Iggyman? you've clearly been studyin your great book of stereotypes recently if you think private schoolers are defenceless and ignorant of the world outside! do you think we all go around in blazers and cardigans?
    i know plenty of people in private schools with various martial arts credentials, and a few doin UFC type stuff in tallaght, so they're by no means easy to rob!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭Aporia

When I went to a public school from 1st to 6th yeah there was ''knackers'' but only up to about 3rd year. After that the less privileged people did LCA or dropped out for some trade.

News flash - ''knackers'' don't do the L.C. in the first place.

Just face it - if you have the oppertunity to go to a private school you will obviously take it.

I went to a public and am in a private now the teachers are of the same ability so are the students.

• Advertisement

na na na...

Travellers are pikeys..

Knackers are Celtic/DJ Tiesto/tracksuit loving folk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

Shrimp wrote:
    na na na...

Travellers are pikeys..

Knackers are Celtic/DJ Tiesto/tracksuit loving folk.

says mr hardman, hiding behind his monitor :p

smemon wrote:
    says mr hardman, hiding behind his monitor :p

Someday the internet will be so real the knackers will be coming through the monitor to butt him on the face:D

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭bazzman

i`d really like to c a proper fight in a private school
    "i bet i can write a larger cheque the you"
    "no, no my daddy can write a bigger then you". etc

angry banana: "Personally, I like purchasing my educational credentials.
    lets hope daddys cheque book is always there to help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

As well as the whole thing about private schools and public schools, some peoples' fathers and mothers pay for them to go to a private college- which by the way are easier to get into rather than U.C.D or Trinity

bazzman wrote:
    "no, no my daddy can write a bigger then you". etc

so rich people have bigger writing now do they?:v:

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭bazzman

fair enough, but ya know what i mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

Can't see this one clearing up

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement