Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Southside snobbery what about Northside snobbery?

Options
  • 09-02-2006 9:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

Today on the 15A an old man in a discussion with the bus driver shouted out "Yeah I hate the southside full of GUCHES (wtf is a guch?), the northside has a better atmosphere"

First of all why was someone who thinks the Southside is "guch" on a southside bus?

And I hate it when people say "but the southside isn't all posh what about areas like Ballyfermot, Tallaght, Crumlin and TERENURE" (wtf, have you ever been to Terenure and seen the 8 bedroom houses?!) this wrecks my head because you're slandering Ballyfermot and all as well as the areas on the Northside.

And worst of all in Templeogue the whole area is subjected to slander because:

People from anywhere west of templeogue say "It's a posh place" (I've been insulted to my face about this "Go back to your double door fridge poshie"),

but anywhere east of templeogue you get "Oh you live in a ****hole of an area" again to my face.

Templeogue is neither posh nor not posh (I wish the wannabe d4s and wannabe skangers learned that).

And that's another thing:
    Wannabe skangers aka shams, the whole point of chav/skanger culture is to dress like rich people but in a fake designer way (fair enough) BUT in Templeogue they are just about able to afford the rich people clothes so they wear REAL designer clothes and look like absolute idiot tosspots as a result when they act like people who wear fake designer clothes.

That stupidity also means they can afford cars and try to be cool so modify them (Templeogue is home to Muppet Mobiles but of course being madsters, they only drive them in Tallaght so Daddy won't see them). (But I would like a Micra with neon lights and loud noises so I shouldn't really be saying anything).

AARGH.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Superdub2

Its all a myth, you get nice areas on either side of the city and bad areas too. I am from crumlin and i went to Terenure College so i know a good mix of people. The thing that bothers me the most is the wannabe nackers from areas like templeouge and even some from terenure, but especially from Rathfarnham. these kids come from good middleclass backgrounds and they want to be nackers. At least a lot of the nackers i know from Crumlin and Ballyer and the likes know no other way!

Saying all that i know a lot of nice people from each area so its not quite the beiruit that people make these places out to be!

I also worked in the airport for two years and i was subjected to every northside joke i have ever heard except the northside was replaced with southside!!! so they take the same view that many southsiders.

and try telling someone from Malahide, Howth or Portmarnock that the northside is full of nackers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭baby*cham*bell

guch= bit of skin between a man's scrotum and a$$ crack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Bartronilic

Superdub you just put into words the way I think! It's funny though cos everday ppl are getting beat up in Templeogue all the time (shams) down at the local shops why? because people think they're stupid for the way they act and like to scare them.

A sham's day consists of this:
    a) finish school in the local school.
    b) get a lift from "madster" brother home to typical 4-6 bedroom house on a qiet grey road (hardly ghetto).
    c) go to local shops and just stand there with fake nacker accents all day
    d) get beaten up by a greenhills person
    e) go home

Great life!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

The fact you don't know that somebody who does know what "gush" means kind of means you don't know lower class insults.
    Maybe people just don't like you and can sense what would wind you up.:D

There is loads of idiots who beleive their accident of birth make them better than other people. It is just natural fear and binding thing that make society. I think younger people are more arrogant and richer now so it is bit more noticable. That applies to both north and south it is easier to spot thoses not of your own and call them names.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I'm from Blackrock. You would be amazed at the abuse I get for this. Reverse snobbery is much more common than "tradictional" snobbery.

Everyone I know from Blackrock doesn't give a **** about accents or where you're from - they're too busy getting on with their lives!

Here's a typical reverse snobbery incident (happened last week) -

I was in RiRa (niteclub in Dublin for anyone who doesn't know.) I was drunk and was talking to two blokes. One of the first things they said were "Where are you from?" (aggressivily.) I resonded "Blackrock..." and of course, got some abuse. They then asked me what I do. I said "I work in online recruitment" They started bitching about how they work in the navy and that the job website I run is too snobby to put navy jobs on it. I tried to explain that if the navy don't want to put jobs on the website, there is nothing I can do about it... (I'd be delighted to have navy jobs on it.) But they somehow thought it all came back to some weird Blackrock thing.

Seriously. A lot of people have some weird warped idea in their mind about Blackrock people and "posh" accents (which are not fake, just like people with "Dublin" accents aren't faking it...)

Blah.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I was being slagged by girls in a local pub in Coolock last Friday evening.

They kept saying I should go back to Sandymount... the thing is I was actually born in Coolock and have probably lived there longer than them.

I just don't go out of my way to sound like an idiot which seems to be the 'in thing' these days in Coolock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

Today on the 15A an old man in a discussion with the bus driver shouted out "Yeah I hate the southside full of GUCHES (wtf is a guch?), the northside has a better atmosphere"

First of all why was someone who thinks the Southside is "guch" on a southside bus?

And I hate it when people say "but the southside isn't all posh what about areas like Ballyfermot, Tallaght, Crumlin and TERENURE" (wtf, have you ever been to Terenure and seen the 8 bedroom houses?!) this wrecks my head because you're slandering Ballyfermot and all as well as the areas on the Northside.

And worst of all in Templeogue the whole area is subjected to slander because:

People from anywhere west of templeogue say "It's a posh place" (I've been insulted to my face about this "Go back to your double door fridge poshie"),

but anywhere east of templeogue you get "Oh you live in a ****hole of an area" again to my face.

Templeogue is neither posh nor not posh (I wish the wannabe d4s and wannabe skangers learned that).

And that's another thing:
    Wannabe skangers aka shams, the whole point of chav/skanger culture is to dress like rich people but in a fake designer way (fair enough) BUT in Templeogue they are just about able to afford the rich people clothes so they wear REAL designer clothes and look like absolute idiot tosspots as a result when they act like people who wear fake designer clothes.

That stupidity also means they can afford cars and try to be cool so modify them (Templeogue is home to Muppet Mobiles but of course being madsters, they only drive them in Tallaght so Daddy won't see them). (But I would like a Micra with neon lights and loud noises so I shouldn't really be saying anything).

AARGH.
    If you havn't ever seen an 8 bedroomed house in Terenure then you've never been down Fortfield Road, Templeoge Road, or Terenure Road East. The fact of the matter is that the Southside houses Dublin 4. An area nationaly infamous for snobery. We are all tarred with the Dublin 4 brush, and the Northside with the opposite. It's just a stereotype.

Binomate wrote:
    The matter of the fact is that the Southside houses Dublin 4. An aread natinally infamous for snobery.

It's undeserved though. I have never come across people from around this area who think they are better than others, or who think people with Dublin accents are lesser creatures. Yes, they may think they are different, but being different and looking down on someone are two totally different things!

I think the anti-D4 things has a huge element of jealousy in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The fact you don't know that somebody who does know what "gush" means kind of means you don't know lower class insults.
    :confused: too early for all these negatives

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

It does, its born from years back when D4 was big house, big car and big job. Other areas were low income, no car and at times no job. Its all to do with begrudgery in my opinion. I'm not from Dublin, I'm from Wicklow but whats amazing is the way a conversation swerves in a flash to outside Dublin.

Example is that I was with a group of people in a pub opposite my college back in the day when I was in college. It was Ballyfermot college but people were from all over, Leixlip, Lucan, Phibsboro, a few of us from Wicklow and of course a few local.
    A conversation brewed up about northside hating southside etc... the abuse going from the ballyfermot lads to the northside and back was unreal. One asked me what I though and I said its all toss if you ask me. I was asked where I was from and then all of a sudden the north and south side lads gang up on me for being an outsider as I was called. i.e. not from Dublin!!!

With seconds there was a split, Kildare & Wicklow against Dublin!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

are you poshhhh?
    me- what?
    are you a poshieee?
    me- what does that mean?
    are you posh?
    me- you mean rich?
    yeah..
    me- no I only have about £50 in the bank and thats it....
    are you posh though?
    me- well I have fuk all money. whats the opposite of it, being a knacker scumbag?
    whaaaa??? supposeeeeee.....
    me- so are you posh, or a knacker scumbag?
    neither.
    me- same here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

dublindude wrote:
    I'm from Blackrock. You would be amazed at the abuse I get for this. Reverse snobbery is much more common than "tradictional" snobbery.

Seriously. A lot of people have some weird warped idea in their mind about Blackrock people and "posh" accents (which are not fake, just like people with "Dublin" accents aren't faking it...)

Blah.

I think you might be missing the gravity of real snobbery there. Being slagged about where you are from is what people do in Ireland. Saying it aggressively is half the joke and if you get defensive or superior it can easily become actually aggressive. It's a test of who you are very common in many cultures. The fact you can't deal with it is your problem.

Traditional snobbery is borderline descrimination . Being refused entry to a shop, being watched in shops, not getting a job becasue of an accent etc...

Whinging because people slag you and then claiming it is jealousy kind of misses what is going on and actually proves your predjudice not theirs.

You assume they are unhappy with their lot and want yours and aren't considering that may be they associate you with a group that looks down at them. Considering what people can take up from what you are saying I would safely say you are as guilty as them.

Many people think they hide their predjudice but hey don't. A little bit nervous of two guys wearing tracksuits so you go to the other side of the street of give them more room. People notice this stuff and general body language.

It is human nature and has grounded reasoning but it should be limited in how it controls us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

dublindude wrote:
    I think the anti-D4 things has a huge element of jealousy in it.

I have lived in D4 for nearly two years ago and only recently did I find out that my street is a prestigious address (I'm not from these parts). The jealousy I've noticed between D4 people alone is stupefying. I've met people who were born and raised in the area and they are so jealous and hateful towards eachother I can only imagine how they are to everyone else. The worse culprits are the girls I've met who are so stuck up and proud despite the fact that they've achieved nothing in their lives and are just sponging of daddy.

Whinging because people slag you and then claiming it is jealousy kind of misses what is going on and actually proves your predjudice not theirs.

?

What are you talking about?

I don't give a **** whatsoever where people are from.

Yes, I do believe a poor person who instantly hates someone from Blackrock just because they are from Blackrock has got to have an element of jealousy to it. We cannot help where we are born, and we cannot help it if people are so insecure that they think someone from a big house is looking down on them. As I said, people from Blackrock are too busy getting on with their lives to feel a need to look down on a "less rich" person.

Really, it's all in their heads...

(Of course, there will always be some snobs and there will always be some scumbags, but to paint everyone with the same brush just because of an accent is mongotastically retarded.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

But the southside is full of spas who look down on the northside. All you can do is laugh at them and their ignorance

FX Meister wrote:
    But the southside is full of spas who look down on the northside. All you can do is laugh at them and their ignorance

Are you taking the piss or are serious?? If you are serious I'm afraid to say you are very deluded. It's a fantasy world to think the southsiders look down on northsiders.

I would agree that a lot of southsiders think the Henry Street area can be a bit of a kip, and that we have little need to go northside (except when going to the Airport), but the reality of the situation is that southsiders really don't care about the northside - simply because we never really have to go there!

If lack of interest can be interpreted as snobby, well... I don't know how I can answer that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Feicken southside snobs crying again! ;)

Zulu wrote:
    Feicken southside snobs crying again! ;)

I'm chopping an onion!! Seriously!! :D

Maybe people just don't like you and can sense what would wind you up.:D

I am from crumlin and know quite a few people who are absolute scum yet i have never heard that word, and before you ask i judge people on their behaviour not where they are from

dublindude wrote:
    Are you taking the piss or are serious?? If you are serious I'm afraid to say you are very deluded. It's a fantasy world to think the southsiders look down on northsiders.

I would agree that a lot of southsiders think the Henry Street area can be a bit of a kip, and that we have little need to go northside (except when going to the Airport), but the reality of the situation is that southsiders really don't care about the northside - simply because we never really have to go there!

If lack of interest can be interpreted as snobby, well... I don't know how I can answer that one.

Henry Street is a kip! the problem is that some of the poshest parts of the southside are in the inner city while some of the worst parts of the northside are in the inner city so they are the parts we see when we venture close to the liffey!

and i worked i the airport and knew loads of people who looked down on southsiders so it goes both ways

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

according to my pop who was brought up in kimmage in the 50's and 60's, the whole northside southside divide is a relatively new thing (last 20 years) and didn't exist when he was growing up.

I wonder what started it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

The thing is there are good and bad areas everywhere. Tallaght for example has good and bad areas, as does Dun Laoghaire, Malahide etc... they all have their good and bad areas.

Weather its north dubling -v- south dublin it gets even further down to what part of Tallaght your from for example! Its ridiculous. Some people are not happy with you unless your from the same estate as them end of story.

Then you bring the whole sure outside dublin were all shaging sheep etc.. while in dublin sure there all council house skangers!!! Way too much division in this country.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

northside posh... ??someones been smoking crack :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Bartronilic

Ringsend is in DUblin 4, Sallynoggin is around the Green Luas line and they arenm't Dorsh speakers.

I think it's blown out of proportion - so much that in fact people from southeast dublin ("d4s") have a mentality now in which they "hate povs" and "hate public schools" which is pretty stupid considering Public schools doesn't make too much difference academically and hating poor people is so ridiculous. But I think by stopping this d4 hate the d4s would stop hating the people who hate them :S bleh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Sallynoggin couldn't be further away from the Luas line.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭SxE Punk

What I love about the "class divide" in Dublin is that we're all stuck in this filthy soul crushing city regardless of our postal code. Some have it easier than others, but at the end of the day they'll all end up living and dying in this same **** hole.

As for people from the south side who think they're better than me* or anyone else with a lower income, I honestly pity those people, they may have more money than me, but they'll never be better than me, I've had to fight for all I've got, and growing up in the places I've had to has made me a stronger, more intelligent and mature person than they'll ever be. They can keep the ivory tower, I prefer my view on things anyway.

And all people from Dublin, and Ireland in general, are suspicious and usually hateful towards what they don't know, its because of the small minded backwards mentality that most people on this tiny island have. And I can tell you, I've been around the city, and I've lived in the worst suburbs of the north side, and still live in one of the worst. And I can tell ya, the north and south side? They're worlds apart, so the mutual hatred really isn't very surprising to me. I mean, no matter where I go, I still get insulted insulted for the way I look by a whole spectrum of Dublin people, I've kicked the **** outta people from D4 to D15 and its always for the same reason, prejudice. Thats the only reason the two sides of Dublin hate each other, its got nothing to do with rich and poor, Dubes and Nikes, mummy and ma, Jaguar and and stolen car, its just that they perceive each other as different. The street I live on is basically a long stretch of road, intersected by another stretch of road, the people on each side of this road believe themselves to be "harder" than the ones on the opposite side, simply cause this was what they believed as a kid, and thats what stuck with them, its the same everywhere.

*People who are both from the south side AND believe themselves to be better than me because of this. Don't get it twisted, I'm not tarring all south siders with the same brush.

SxE Punk wrote:
    What I love about the "class divide" in Dublin is that we're all stuck in this filthy soul crushing city regardless of our postal code. Some have it easier than others, but at the end of the day they'll all end up living and dying in this same **** hole.

As for people from the south side who think they're better than me* or anyone else with a lower income, I honestly pity those people, they may have more money than me, but they'll never be better than me, I've had to fight for all I've got, and growing up in the places I've had to has made me a stronger, more intelligent and mature person than they'll ever be. They can keep the ivory tower, I prefer my view on things anyway.

Thats a very negative view, i love Dublin and think on the balance of things it is a great place to live. As for your "terrible" background, your blue peter badge is in the post! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭SpAcEd OuT

SxE Punk wrote:

you see this is the kind of view that the OP is talking about.

what exactly have you had to fight for?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

SxE Punk wrote:

As for people from the south side who think they're better than me* or anyone else with a lower income, I honestly pity those people, they may have more money than me, but they'll never be better than me, I've had to fight for all I've got, and growing up in the places I've had to has made me a stronger, more intelligent and mature person than they'll ever be. They can keep the ivory tower, I prefer my view on things anyway......
    I mean, no matter where I go, I still get insulted insulted for the way I look by a whole spectrum of Dublin people, I've kicked the **** outta people from D4 to D15 and its always for the same reason, prejudice....

lol

I've never resorted to violence when someone has insulted me. I am better than you!;)

• Advertisement

SxE Punk wrote:

I've kicked the **** outta people from D4 to D15 and its always for the same reason, prejudice. Thats the only reason the two sides of Dublin hate each other, its got nothing to do with rich and poor, Dubes and Nikes, mummy and ma, Jaguar and and stolen car, its just that they perceive each other as different. The street I live on is basically a long stretch of road, intersected by another stretch of road, the people on each side of this road believe themselves to be "harder" than the ones on the opposite side, simply cause this was what they believed as a kid, and thats what stuck with them, its the same everywhere.

thanks for highlighting the voilence comment ruggie bear as i hadnt read that far but now i see some more interesting comments

you my friend SxE punk are a modern day robin hood character for beating up all the "yuppies" and "nackers" who insulted you in hope of enlightening them to the similarities between us all but instead all you do is reinforce all their prejudices they may have had in the first place.

generally fights take place becuse of the assholes involved not simply because of their differing backgrounds as it takes two to tango!

and wat kind of a place do you live where neighbours on oppisite sides of the road view eachother with distain and mistrust simply because of the road between them?? Do you live in a bad part of Belfast or something??

Advertisement