Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Southside snobbery what about Northside snobbery?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

ok here is my two cents

Im from galway living in dublin so im a blow in a culchie,and i bite back with jackien etc its all good fun but when im talking to people in my work environment and i tell them i live in Tallaght they look at me differently

I have a very responsible top level job in the private sector and its a job that would not normally be associated with my address funny thats sounds but true. There are many people who know me ages and pass no regard to where i live but when i meet new people and during conversation its brought up where i live a deafening silence falls on the conversation and i have to tell them that im from galway orignally to break the ice again

Its human nature and sterotypical and something i have to live with untill i can afford to live in a more affluent area(it will never happen trust me) cause this keeping up with the jones does my head in.

As for the northside vs. southside its the same as local football or soccer rivalry but people cannot use player stats against an address so they just call them names and insult them its handbags at dawn stuff really

overall people in my opnion act as they see or hear if a southsider and northsider sat at a bar they could be drinking buddies forever until one of them mentions where they are from,just because im from tallaght doesnt make me a scumbag and anyways tallaght people are not scum neither are any other place in dublin its all just stories every area has its fair share of scum but some more than others

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 brain damaged

I would definatly say templeouge is more posh than poor
    ive never seen a scumbag here ever
    its so quiet here
    but its too quiet
    too boring
    so i generally dont stay here very long

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Today on the 15A an old man in a discussion with the bus driver shouted out "Yeah I hate the southside full of GUCHES (wtf is a guch?), the northside has a better atmosphere"

First of all why was someone who thinks the Southside is "guch" on a southside bus?

And I hate it when people say "but the southside isn't all posh what about areas like Ballyfermot, Tallaght, Crumlin and TERENURE" (wtf, have you ever been to Terenure and seen the 8 bedroom houses?!) this wrecks my head because you're slandering Ballyfermot and all as well as the areas on the Northside.

And worst of all in Templeogue the whole area is subjected to slander because:

People from anywhere west of templeogue say "It's a posh place" (I've been insulted to my face about this "Go back to your double door fridge poshie"),

but anywhere east of templeogue you get "Oh you live in a ****hole of an area" again to my face.

Templeogue is neither posh nor not posh (I wish the wannabe d4s and wannabe skangers learned that).

And that's another thing:
    Wannabe skangers aka shams, the whole point of chav/skanger culture is to dress like rich people but in a fake designer way (fair enough) BUT in Templeogue they are just about able to afford the rich people clothes so they wear REAL designer clothes and look like absolute idiot tosspots as a result when they act like people who wear fake designer clothes.

That stupidity also means they can afford cars and try to be cool so modify them (Templeogue is home to Muppet Mobiles but of course being madsters, they only drive them in Tallaght so Daddy won't see them). (But I would like a Micra with neon lights and loud noises so I shouldn't really be saying anything).

AARGH.

Let me guess........ your about 15?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

rubadub wrote:
    are you poshhhh?
    me- what?
    are you a poshieee?
    whats the opposite of it, being a knacker scumbag?
    Remember, there are people in this world that think Posh Spice actually is/was posh.

Even she's begun to think she has a flair for fashion, which is kinda sad.

As for punk, I'm with Siouxsie in looking at the Pistols reforming and saying "okay, that's it, punk is definitely dead".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭g-punkteffekt

The thing that annoys me about the rich D4 types, and their colleagues in Clontarf and other upper class Northside areas, is the way that they dress and talk in a way that you'll instantly know they're from these areas. E.g. the abercrombie tops, the "dubes", this messy hair do all the youngfellas seem to have with blonde highlights, the wearing of the socks up to the knees in the gym (wtf is that all about??), the canterbury tracksuit bottoms...
    I'm from Artane on the northside which is a middle of the road type area, there are good and bad seeds, out of about 10 or so lads I hung out with about 2 or 3 of us went to college. The others have trades etc. now and are all doing well. The difference is that we would have just normal dublin accents (think bertie ahern if he wasn't a politician), and wear normal bloody clothes which you'd see on any normal person in europe. So if you met me you wouldn't be able to tell what sort of background I'm from.
    The D4 accent is a relatively new thing, if you speak to any of their parents they'll probably have plain old irish accents, so the whole thing in contrived, that's what annoys me. Why does everyone have to be so bloody tribal???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

I'm from Coolock and i go to UCD so i get to see two very different places. But really i meet nice people in coolock and in UCD, just like i've met a lot of twats in both places.

Who cares anyway?

That said i'm well spoken and got never ending abuse when i was younger about being posh, nobody ever believed i was from coolock...

Whereas nobody from the southside has ever said anything about me being from coolock, though most of them have never heard of it.

I do find wannabe D4 northsiders as funny as the wannabe skanger D4 crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

I was brought up in one of the richest towns in Ireland.
    I bought an apartment just off Parnell Street 2 years ago, and absoloutely love the area.

This whole argument is silly. And why was it dragged back out of the ditch after 10 months?

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

I can't believe I read this whole thread and it's nearly a year dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

you loved it, you slag!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

CuLT wrote:
    I can't believe I read this whole thread and it's nearly a year dead.

****, me too.

fwiw, 90% of the people in Sandycove are great normal down to earth people, regardless of the size of their bank account. The other 10% are the biggest bunch of snobs I have ever exerienced.

My conclusion is that they don't like the fact that normal people with decent paying jobs in IT or Telecoms can now afford to live in Sandycove/Dalkey/Killiney. They seem to see it as a birth rite to live here and not just as somewhere people want to move to because it is nice.

it bugs the crap out of me to hear these people trying to impose their rules on us, stop kids playing in the street (My neighbours have even had a letter from the residents association asking them not to hang their washing near the windows where it can be seen from the street!) we've had someone shout at us "It's like bloody Tallaght here since you lot moved in" because our 4 year old daughter was riding her bike on the pavement.

and what really pisses me off, is these people all get up and go to Church on a Sunday morning like good little christians. Bloody hipocrites.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

I know a few ppl from Sandycove and they never shut up about these "people who come in here and take over the beach". When I mention i went shopping in Dun Laoghaire i'm questioned as to "why?"

I mean never mind the fact that it was traditionally a seaside resort or anything.

Fools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I know a few ppl from Sandycove and they never shut up about these "people who come in here and take over the beach". When I mention i went shopping in Dun Laoghaire i'm questioned as to "why?"

I mean never mind the fact that it was traditionally a seaside resort or anything.

Fools.

That always amazes me. Buy a cottage next to a beech and moan about people parking outside your house in the summer :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

exactly, the whole northside/ southside phenomenon reminds me of that blue eyes/ brown eyes experiment where some teacher told her primary school students that people with blue eyes were intellectually superior to those with brown eyes... it's a pretty illogical rationale that you can decipher a personality from little more than a geographical region.
    There are probably more "scumbags" or pikeys or whatever you want to call them living in the Irishtown or "bad" area of D4 than there actually is living in Donnybrook. I know people who pride themselves on their address, despite, like my own parents, to have only been just able to afford to purchase their glorified corporation home back in the eighties (with a mortgage) before villages like Dundrum became the asskissing accessories to the faux-D4 elite. Bah. You are not your postal code and your mother came from a farm in Leitrim! (to nobody in particular)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

:rolleyes:

Yes, InFront, frankly it is stupid to label an entire region as snobs. This southside/northside debate has no substance at all.

Advertisement