Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VAT when buying online

• 09-02-2006 10:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭

Im looking at buying a pretty expensive item from a US online retailer. Should I have to pay them VAT? I thought not, that I would just have to pay it when the item comes into this country.
    Also how does this apply to buying goods from England.
    I am asking this because it is for a business and I will claim back the VAT paid. Obviously I cant claim back VAT paid in another country.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

You shouldn't have to pay VAT (they call it State Sales Tax) on your goods from the states. However, you might get stung for VAT and/or Duty when it arrives in Ireland.

As I rule, I generally go for USPS/An Post when getting stuff over, as it's not usually hit for VAT. If you go UPS or one of the big private delivery companies, then they tend to go by the book and charge you VAT.

You don't pay VAT on goods purchased from the UK.

...but you have to be VAT registered in Ireland and have a valid VAT number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Decided to buy the item from pixmania.com but they are including VAT in the price. There doesn't seem to be a way around it. Am I meant to pay it and then claim it back somehow. I am registered for VAT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

As per call, you can claim the vat in your monthly purchases for your month of february against your sales, as they have an IE vat number at the bottom of their invoices ;)

Just included their invoice with your other purchase invoices when you send them to your accountant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Jnealon

kc66 wrote:
    Decided to buy the item from pixmania.com but they are including VAT in the price. There doesn't seem to be a way around it. Am I meant to pay it and then claim it back somehow. I am registered for VAT.

Go to pixmania pro
    http://www.pixmania-pro.co.uk/

Advertisement