Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pro Evolution Soccer Tournament 2006

Options
  • 09-02-2006 11:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

I am hosting a tournie next wednesday in DCU starting at 1:30. It is €6 to enter and all money goes towards the prizes. I am hosting this tournament for the craic and all team selection is random. It is a 32 team tournie consisting of club and country sides in a world cup format.

If you are interested and up for the challenge drop us an e-mail with your contact details at proevo2006@yahoo.ie.

Cheers, Niall!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Random teams?

How can you make a competition any more pointless/worthless? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 murphn24

This competition is the best. We have chosen the best teams from both the international and club categories so that every player has a decent side. We then make the draw to see which player gets which team. They have to be randomly selected as players would just chose the same teams otherwise.

This comp is about 32 individual players coming together for one big tounie. 27 of the 32 spaces have already been filled which is excellent. We have a number of televisions so that fixtures can be played simultaneously and instant group updates as we are running the group tables etc on Microsoft Excel.

murphn24 wrote:
    They have to be randomly selected as players would just chose the same teams otherwise.

But that wont prove who actually has the most skill at the game. The only way a proper competition would work well is if people were allowed to pick who they want. Certain teams suit the way a person plays which is why you need to allow them have the freedom of choice. It also allows people come prepared and have formation/tactics already set up on their own memory cards before the tournament, saving a lot of time as they just load up the formation for the team they choose instead of having to do it before every game.
    The fact you have Internationals and Clubs means you aint going for realism already, so why not have people using the same teams? :confused:

I dont mean to rain on the parade, it's just I've organised online leagues etc.. in the past and I know the best way for them to work and work well. If you want the competition to be fair and the best it can be, then you need to think it through a bit more. ;)

Like I said in my original post, this tournie is about the craic but a challenge exists also. Anybody can use the same few teams all the time and become good with just those teams. If your a good player you should be able adapt to the team provided and many of the players who have signed up so far are looking forward to getting a weaker team through to the advanced stages of the competition.

It the tournament is not about finding the best player (although I'm share the top players will emerge in the later stages), it is also about the entertainment the day will provide.:D

I understand the underdog thing as online I usually use Udinese, unless someone picks a country, then I'll find one to match their selection or if they pick Brazil then I pick France and teach them a lesson. :D

But for a competition that has an entry fee, I'd want to know I had a good chance of winning and with a team I'm used to and like using, I'm not gonna pay to play in a competition that I could have with my mates at home for the laugh. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭kellxor.1337

I'd love to enter but i've got work on wed till 5, If it was on later i'd defo go, Is it a knockout comp or what,

Kellxor

The comp starts with group stages and then the knock-out stages begin. I'm afraid it will have to start at 1:30 though as there are so many games to play in one day. Pity you can't make it cos its shaping up to be good. Will post again though about any future comps we will be organising.

Thanks for the interest!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

dar83 wrote:
    Random teams?

How can you make a competition any more pointless/worthless? :(

yes cos 31 Ac milans with a preloaded 4 3 3 is really good :rolleyes:
    Oh and 1 real madrid, random is the way this game is meant to be played in MP.

One rule...play as is.

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    yes cos 31 Ac milans with a preloaded 4 3 3 is really good :rolleyes:
    Oh and 1 real madrid, random is the way this game is meant to be played in MP.

One rule...play as is.

kdjac

For a laugh yes, when you're charging money for a competition it gets more complicated. How fair is it for the person that gets stuck with Liverpool? They may be seen as one of the "big" clubs in the game, but truth be told they actually are pretty badly represented in the game and the strikers they have are painful to play with most of the time.

Also if you're worried about 31 teams of Milan, then thats just as daft a notion as mixing clubs and nationals. Who wants to watch France vs Liverpool? Might as well watch Milan vs Milan with two people that make the game enjoyable to watch, not one clinging on to try and salvage a draw for the most part and then hoping to hit on the break or relying on a mistake by the opponent to get a chance on goal.

I'm all for diversity and I rarely use the "big" teams, the last few competitions/leagues I've done with my mates I've been Udinese, Villareal and Middlesborough respectively and I've won them all. But, if I'm going to enter a competition where I pay an entry fee and it's for prizes, there's no chance in hell I wouldn't go prepared and with my team pre-picked and formation done etc... Not only does it save time on the day to have the formations done, but I know going into the competition that I'm giving myself the best chance to do well, regardless of what team I play against.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

dar83 wrote:

I'm all for diversity and I rarely use the "big" teams, the last few competitions/leagues I've done with my mates I've been Udinese, Villareal and Middlesborough respectively and I've won them all. But, if I'm going to enter a competition where I pay an entry fee and it's for prizes, there's no chance in hell I wouldn't go prepared and with my team pre-picked and formation done etc... Not only does it save time on the day to have the formations done, but I know going into the competition that I'm giving myself the best chance to do well, regardless of what team I play against.

And thats where you and i differ and if i was a tax dodging student i would enter this cup allow my opponent to pick my team then procede to thrash them with Sunderland.

:D

kdjac

• Advertisement

Good luck with that. ;)

Advertisement