Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone focusing on 6 subjects?

Options
  • 09-02-2006 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of forgetting about higher Irish and just focusing on 6 subjects and doing very well in them. That leaves no plan B if I screw an exam, but I don't really see myself doing that badly in an exam that i will do worse then what I'm heading for in Irish.....if that makes any sense.

I know it's a big risk but at the moment it seems quite enticing. What do you think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭katiegordon

Im ony in fifth year but ive just been thinkin about that myself recently because im thinking of going for a course with pretty high points.Im doing eight subjects so i was definitely thinking of picking one out of my three languages.French is my strongest.Crazy!!Ive been doing it for the least amount of time!I wouldnt even try go for an A in English yet it should be the easiest, no oral or anything!!!I dunno..........!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 hotasfunk

As you're from Killiney, Im assuming you go to a private school, so Ill reply to your post. I'm doing 8 subjects for the LC, they are: Accounting, Business, Geography, History, German, Irish, English and Maths.

Im hoping for B1's in all of them, but can afford a C I think in German, and as Im doing O. Level Maths, all I need there is a B3.

In other words, there'll be more effort put into the other 6, but I still have a chance of doing well in German, although I hate the subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

tbh, i found little point in putting the extra effort into irish so i dropped down as soon as i could. a trained monkey like hotasfunk could do ordinary

altho it does limit some options, but hey, life is never without sacrifice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭eamoss

Im forgetting about german cos I hate the subject and I am sh1te at it 2. Im applying for something and if I get it I can drop it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Gunshot

im only doin 6 subjects

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭deisedolly

I dropped down to pass maths and I'n honours everything else! No point in adding extra work on yourself! Not that I wouldve been able for honours maths!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

yea, im just doin 6 with maths as my 7th subject. all honours bar maths.

theres no point in doing anymore subjects unless you want to do them. but its a bit like paying for private school when you can get public for free!

remember the max points you can get is 600, doin 8 subjects dont get you more than 6!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

But my angle is that I have a fall-back with 7 subjects. It would leave me to **** up one exam and not have it affect my results. That's what I'm worried about. If I do 6 there's no room for error.

But back to my original point, i don't see myself doing well in Irish, i expect to get the same mark as i would get if i screwed up an exam, so it's making sense to leave it ATM

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

Points wise i focused on 6. Pass Irish being the seventh. It worked out fine. One of your six will always be a little hit or miss though. For me it was Spanish (H). Wasn't sure at all what i was going to get. If you do drop to pass Irish you'll be laughing. You can write anything on the exam and get marks.

I wouldnt' recommend trying to do 7 or 8 honours subjects. We all know its better to do a few things well than a load of things badly...or however the saying goes. You'd be better off concentrating on the 6 IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭blahblah1234

I'm doing at the moment Higher Maths, English, Geography, Business, Biology, Chemistry,and Economics.....two of which I'm studying on my own. Then I'm also doing Ordinary French and Irish.

Have to do French and Irisg for college. Have to do Geo and Economics for pointswise.....I'm lost nearly....as to what to do???/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭Aporia

I'm doing at the moment Higher Maths, English, Geography, Business, Biology, Chemistry,and Economics.....two of which I'm studying on my own. Then I'm also doing Ordinary French and Irish.

Have to do French and Irisg for college. Have to do Geo and Economics for pointswise.....I'm lost nearly....as to what to do???/

Okay so you have to do Geography, Economics, French and Irish.

So 2 higher and 2 pass. All you need now is 4 more higher subjects.

Out of Biology, Maths, English, Chemistry and Business, which do you consider your weakest? I'm presuming their higher level

You can afford to loose one of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭blahblah1234

I hate Chemistry in all it's aspects but have to get a B3 Higher Level for College as well. I'm well able for all the other Higher Levels though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭Aporia

Well if you think you can handle 9 subjects go for it.
    If you require a certain amount of C1's for your course it up's your chances.

You need to do English and Maths too so if you really had to give up a subject you'd be better off letting Biology or Business go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭yak_kadafi

yup i do 7.......pass irish.......
    im only concentrating on 6....a pass in irish will make he happy....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

yup i concentrating on 6 all honours, with pass maths as my not-using-for-points subject

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭deisedolly

Azureus wrote:
    yup i concentrating on 6 all honours, with pass maths as my not-using-for-points subject

same as me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭CrimE

I'm focusing on six. Its a long story but I did pass irish in the junior cert. when I really should have done honours and am suffering now because of it. I am doing honours now with the biggest plank of a teacher know to man and am screwed. I dont think its worth throwing my time away by studying hard for it. I figure if I scrape a C i'll be happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

I'm in basically the same situation. I need pretty high points, but am reasonably confident that I can get them with my top 6 subjects. I was basically just keeping honours Irish as a fallback and I guess for the sake of 'doing all honours'. Coming up to the mocks I was expecting to drop the Irish afterwards because I didn't do a tap of study for it and, at the absolute best (with much study), I was hoping for a B2/B3 in the LC, whereas I have reasonable shouts at As in the rest. It all seemed a bit pointless, but then the mocks went surprisingly well considering my lack of preparation, and they gave me the confidence of maybe pushing the grade up with the rest for the LC.

Of course, the result could go horribly wrong, in which case I'll probably just drop. But I think it's worth putting in a bit of extra work just to provide a bit of safety and just to spruce up the results as a whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

I dropped art because me and the teacher had a fight.. I'm doing 6 and find it much better! I'm terrible at irish tho, finding ordinary a bitch (mainly because we kept changing teachers last year, like around 5 times) and am half considering the dreaded foundation! I've got my Physics mock tomorrow, and I'm not ready for it at all! Might have to drop to ordinary, and raise to higher history..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Yeh, I'm going to talk to my guidance counsellor, but i'm pretty sure I'm going to drop it. I won't even have to go to class for pass Irish, it's so ridiculous

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Don't be too sure. I attempted to drop to pass Irish but my teacher talked me out of it. In the 2004 LC, not one person in the country got an A in pass irish (akaik). Look at the tables they publish.

I dropped to pass maths instead and did hardly any work for irish, but I still scraped a C3 in honours- the equivilent to an A1 in pass. If you think you could manage a C3 at honours, or even a D1, I'd stick with it. Only drop if you KNOW you'd fail honours (which I genuinely thought I would, but hey. Look how that turned out)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭OTliddy

Studying your strongest 6 is a good idea.
    I gave up on irish about 3 months into 4th year(no TY) after I tried for a bit and then couldn't do a thing on the exam papers. I dropped down to pass an tried harder on the other 6 subjects. I think it was definetly for the best. It's either maths or irish that you give up, both are easily hateable if you aren't good at them, and both are very easy to pass ordinary level

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

Just a quick word of advice, if you reckon you'll be tight for points you can't have a subject way worse than the rest, cause if anything goes wrong you're screwed. I repeated and a girl in the class worked really hard in English but somehow dropped from a B1 to a D2, but had given up so much on their 7th subject that they didn't show for the exam and had to count the D2 which they would have surpassed if they had put a little effort into the other subject.

I scraped points for my course, and my grades we're consistent enough, but I nearly dropped a subject and if I had, I wouldn't have got my course in college, which incidentally I love now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭dr.barbie

ya, taking a chance and neglecting a subject is really tempting but the truth is that those couple of weeks in June are really unpredictable. subjects that your great at can be tougher than you expected and the subjects you struggle at can be surprisingly nice, its just a weird time and if you completely give up on a subject you might be f**cked in August.

Advertisement