Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ashes and obe`s

• 10-02-2006 12:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭

do the england cricket team deserve such an honour,ok they beat the best team in the world in a big test series,ie the ashes,but obe`s and mbe`s i think is a bit much.
    the word confetti springs to mind the way these honours out dished out,
    http://www.skysports.com/skysports/article/0,,1-1211808,00.html

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Did Collingwood deserve an MBE? lol....

Just on a comparison, it was only in the late 90's when all of the 1966 World Cup winning team were honoured. IT Botham got his gong from Buck House. In 1992.

Awards such as that used to be only handed out while the players are retired. Since Labour came into power, the Queens new years and birthday gongs are handed out like sweets to kids in a chocolate factory. Now is not the time to do this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Tbh, i agree with the sentiments above but then again in the past it was only the "priveledged" who received them.

Labour have been throwing them out like confetti but imo that's them trying to make it a proper national award instead of a reward for former party hacks and alickadoos.

Strange precident to set for cricket. does this mean that every english cricketer who is on a team who regain/retain the ashes in the future will get one....?

btw ninja 101 banned for at least a week for abuse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

RuggieBear wrote:

btw ninja 101 banned for at least a week for abuse
    did i miss something?

county wrote:
    did i miss something?

i deleted out his moronic post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

RuggieBear wrote:
    i deleted out his moronic post.
    thanks,am glad i didnt see it,i can just imagine!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Diablolical

I actually read ninja 101's post,while it was expressed in the most elequent manner,was his intial point not valid.I would wager that if the majority of Irish would refuse an obe ect and therefore have no interest who recieves them.

There was a grain of a fair point in there amongst all the shite. For the most part it was was ignorant, immature and abusive gibberish. He can pm me and we'll think about unbanning him

Advertisement