Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Very Small Laptops.

• 10-02-2006 12:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭

Im thinking of getting a very small laptop (max 11") for while im away travelling around the world. It would mainly be for storing and viewing my photos and using photoshop on it. Im basically looking for the smallest and lightest laptop that will do this and wont cost a bomb, Im willing to buy second hand from the states or Ebay, im looking for something cheap cus its gonna be chucked in a rucksack while travelling, Id spend a max of €1000, preferably less!! Heres a few Ive spoted:

Ebay 1

Ebay tablet

Over budget but nice!

Anyone have any ideas that could be a better idea than these? My only real needs are that it will open photoshop and must be over 20GBs and must be tiny and light. Im still toying with the idea of just buying a 60GB Video ipod and getting the camera cable adaptor and just use that to upload and view photos, but it will drive me nuts taking shots all day with my DSLR and not being able to view them properly and edit them (ill be away for 2 years)

Any help would be great.

S.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭pauln

I like the look of this as a nice ultra-portable laptop, OQO model 01 Ultra PC (20GB, XP Pro). A bit over budget at €1600 I afraid but I'd like one :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭XDA

I have a Medion MD 96400 for sale in the "For Sale" forum. Its a powerful little ultraportable Notebook which might suit you.

Its only a month old, in perfect condition, original new price was 1099 and I am prepared to sell it complete for 950 euro or minus the TV card for 900.

See http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054885806

Regards

XDA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭Darwin

The Fujitsu Lifebook P series are a lovely range of ultraportable machines. They are generally cheaper than the Vaio TR series and are regularly available on ebay. I've read the Transmeta Crusoe powered machines are to be avoided if you want to run XP as they are a bit on the sluggish side.
    XDAs machine is really nice - I was tempted myself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Ebay 1

That is so overpriced for what you'd be getting as to be beyond a joke - must be some nigerian scammer with the top bid.

Ebay tablet

Have heard about reliability issues with TC's (1000 & 1100), not as shock-proof a HDD as they'd have you believe. Also, for tablet PCs, do consider how much the lack of a built-in keyboard matters (onscreen keyb is fine...up to a point - and that's from experience).
    Anyone have any ideas that could be a better idea than these? My only real needs are that it will open photoshop and must be over 20GBs and must be tiny and light.

What are min-to-medium specs for Photoshop?

Fujitsu P series are very good, as pointed before, but do bear in mind their screen aspect ratio (like that of the Sony in the link #01 above), which can be a problem for working on Hi-Res digi-pixes.

I would suggest you also look into the Fujitsu B-series (B2575 particularly, PIII 600/256MB/8MB video/touchscreen) - built like tanks, v.good battery technology & can be had very cheaply thses days (sub-£350).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭dubdvd

i know a guy who is selling one of these which would suit you to a tee ..and i dont think the price would be as bad as you think heres the specs

ACER C111 Ti

1GHz Intel Centrino new ULV ; 512MB SDRAM; 40BG HD; Intel 865GM chipset with integrated graphics (128 MB VRAM); 10.4in TFT; external FireWire DCD Combo drive; 2x USB 2.0; FireWire; 56K modem; 10/100 Ethernet; 802.11b; Bluetooth Type II PCMCIA; Windows XP Professional Tablet PC Edition. Dimensions: 25.7 x 21.6 x 2.97 cm; 1.45Kg.

Reveiw :
    http://www.maxpc.co.uk/reviews/default.asp?pagetypeid=2&articleid=27926&subsectionid=702&subsubsectionid=496

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Thanks for the replys

@ pauln, Way over price, I would only go over €1000 is it was an outstanding laptop.

@ XDA, Sorry, too big! im looking for under 11", preferably closer to 10"

@ DUBDVD, PM me the asking price and Ill see!!

@ ambro25, the "Ebay Tablet" actually has a keyboard for the screen Link

Im really intrested in the Tablet, for €1000, it would be 80GB/512mb/1Ghz and it has a great battery life. I wouldnt be too bothered about optical drives as it has Wifi and Ive a 1GB USB key for putting software on it. Now just to part with the dosh while im saving my ass off to actually pay for travelling!!!

Anyone gonna turn me off the tablet? or point me in another direction?

Thanks
    Sean

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Actually, slightly bigger than what you want, but how about a 12" iBook?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭dubdvd

@ DUBDVD, PM me the asking price and Ill see!!
    Thanks
    Sean

in around the 800 mark but he siad he is open to any real offer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Rainbow, No the ibook is very nice but again too big and very heavy (2.2KG) and im a windows user! (current software etc)

DUBDVD, I might be intrested, Ill check funds etc and get back to you. How is the battery life on his one, Ive heard bad things.

Any chance of pictures of the actual tablet?

Thanks
    Sean

Advertisement