Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone any experience with POV cards?

Options
  • 10-02-2006 12:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭

Looking at upgrading to a 7800GS and komplett only have POV card instock at the minute. Not familiar with this maker (dutch). Should I wait for a more established brand like XFX or does it really matter.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭andy1249

I have the 7800GTX 256MB and its working fine for me so far , just ran 3d mark 2006 on it for the first time and came in with a score of 4197 , this is the first run of course , and with the drivers in the box , havnt downloaded the latest yet , so all in all I would say not bad at all .
    I will say that the box was a little bare , the card was expensive enough at 470 and all that was in the box was the card , an SLI bridge board , and the driver disc , with a quick install manual , not a game in sight , not even a flashy graphics routine , nothing but the card.
    The drivers are nvidia standard , there are no special POV drivers , there is an overclock program but thats all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

All the high end NV parts are the same the boards PCB and chip are manufactured by the same supplier who adjusts the clocks as requested then ships that to the vendor were they usually slap on a different sticker or cooler.

You can find a review of the POV 7800 GS at this link, you get a bunch of cables and the last two Splinter Cell games as well (PT & CT) in the bundle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Have that very card. Finding it hard to get it to run on my machine at the moment. sometimes when i load up my computer the video card will run lets say 3dmark2005 at a FPS of 30. Then i go and restart my computer and the next time i load my machine up it will give me a FPS of 3. Same goes for games i dont know what the problem is. Have installed new drivers what im going to do next is just do a total reinstall and upgrade to SP2 as im only on SP1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭andy1249

This is to Badcharlie ,
    I had the very same problem when I was trying to run the card on a 400W power supply , heres the thing , the power supply should be at least 500W , and the two power connectors feeding into the card need to have nothing else on em !!! That means no drives , also the case needs plenty of cooling ,

Maybe thats your problem ?

andy1249 wrote:
    This is to Badcharlie ,
    I had the very same problem when I was trying to run the card on a 400W power supply , heres the thing , the power supply should be at least 500W , and the two power connectors feeding into the card need to have nothing else on em !!! That means no drives , also the case needs plenty of cooling ,

Maybe thats your problem ?

Well i think i have found my problem. Power can be the cause all right thats why i took out my 380watt and put in my 600watt before installing the new video card. But what my big problem was that i never updated my motherboard drivers. Just did that now and video card is running 60% faster in 3dmark 2005. I get a score of 6300points must oc it more.

So my advice to other people would be update your motherboard drivers :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

Can play this game at 1600 *1200 with everyhting turned up to the full and no slow down. You first need a good computer but mostly you will also need 1.5gigs of ram to stop harddrive lag during game. How much ram you got Mercury_Tilt?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Mercury_Tilt turning off your page/swap file is not a very good idea at all see this for a technical reason as to why.

AA [assuming it’s nothing to do with the game] stands for anti aliasing it smoothes out the jaggies you see on 3D games various levels of AA incur a performance penalty though with a X850XT PE you shouldn't really having any problems.

What sort of resolution are you running at, if you are at a very high resolution with lots of AA and AF applied then yes you’re going to run into performance problems.

You should read over this BF2 performance guide at Tweak Guides to understand the settings for the game and find what works best for you.

• Advertisement

Thats a bummer!
    With your system the game should be running allot better. Maybe and update on motherboard drivers ? . I just did mine this week and it gave me a 60% increase in 3dmark 2005.

Advertisement