Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things we learn from having kids.

Options
  • 10-02-2006 1:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

The ability to pour 8 ozs of water/milk without the need for any measuring jug.
    The ability to change a nappy in the dark without waking the child.
    The knowledge of where everything they own is.
    Technical knowledge to dissemble any piece of machinery with a small enough slot to fit something important into.
    That quietness is dangerous.

Any more?

Never any fun posts in here extolling the joys of parenthood :D

kdjac

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

KdjaC wrote:
    The ability to change a nappy in the dark without waking the child.
    wtf!

Now that's impressive...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Things I learnt.
    - Every bloody song sung in Bear and the Big Blue house.
    - Balmory does not get more intresting after its 100's rerun for the day.
    - Can tell the difference between tired/hungry/hurt/pissed off/moaning cry.
    - It doesn't matter how safe you make a place the kid will make a beeline for the first thing that will hurt them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

Kids and expensive Hi-Fi Equipment don't mix.
    Kids climb up earlier than they can climb down.
    If they see it, it's their's. If you have it, you better give it up, if you don't have it you better get it for them.

cheerio
    Howard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

How to nap. really the saving grace of a 20 min nap or the snatched two hours to make up for sleep lost.
    That it is possible to make a sandwhich or play spyro the dragon on the playstation and breat feed too.
    That sitting down and spending the afternoon colouring in is damned enjoyible and relaxing.
    That you know a hell of a lot more about the world, history, weather, natural sceince, animals ect then you give yourself credit for.
    To let go and go play follow the leader arround the garden and road with 1/2 the neighbourhoods kids following you just for the sheer joy of it.
    That the best place in the world can be curled up on the sofa on a rainy day with both brats watching the wizzard of oz.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

KdjaC : "Never any fun posts in here extolling the joys of parenthood :D "

thought this might be worth a look its hilarious http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=250007

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

How to have a shower in less than 5 minutes.

How to breastfeed without either party really waking up.

How to put on a wash and do the dishes while carrying a baby.

How to remember 5 different character voices for a book.

How to keep your toddler busy and give yourself a hand by making up fun cleaning games.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

That you can actually survive on less than 6 hours sleep.
    That you wasted sooooo much time before you had kids.
    That going to the pub for a few pints is a luxury-not a necessity.
    That you need a bigger car boot.

and finally...

That you can spend hours just watching one person playing with lego

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

So far... a(n expectant) mother never stops worrying!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

I have learnt...

- Why sleep deprevation is also a form of torture...
    - That I can get drunk on one can of lager...
    - That I can tell if it's a bottle, food, clean nappy or cuddle being requested even tho I never hear more than "WAAAHHHH!!"...
    - Where every creaky floorboard in the house is located....
    - How to feed a baby in the middle of the night without ever opening my eyes....
    - How to hold feet, hold hands out the way, wipe bottom & open nappy sack with only two hands....
    - More about myself from someone who can't even talk to me yet, than I thought possible! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

What simu said - worrying as an expectant mammy sucks.

I have a whole host of worry in front me me in 6 hours or so - am getting induced at 10pm tonight!!!

HURRAH!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

embeeeeeeeeeee!

I'm so excited about the baby. *happy dance*

Enjoy the next week- I still feel I remember every second of the first week w/ my baby. :) Wait till you see it's face and little body. eeeeeeeee!

I hope you have a happy and easy labour. Best of luck. x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Good luck Embee - hope it goes quickly & easily for youxxxxxxxxx

• Registered Users Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

2 things i've learned from my kids

...you don't *really* need 8 hours unbroken sleep, lie-ins at the weekend, fancy car, fancy house, fancy clothes, tons of money, high powered job, exotic holidays, boozy nights out, unscheduled sex with or without multiple simultaneous orgasms, and worldwide fame adulation ... not if you're having fun with your kids

... annnnd .... it's never to late to have a happy childhood

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

That a sandwich shoved into a DVD player wrecks it..........in case you didn't know that already!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

School going kids will get up late every weekday but on Sat and Sun 7am...BING!
    Hangovers pass quicker when you have to get up a kid.
    2 Chairs and a blanket are inpenetrable fortress.
    Standing on lego with bare feet hurts......a lot

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭hepcat

Ha ha read through the linked thread...some very funny stories. Just had to add one courtesy of my daughter.

She was about 3 / 4 at the time and, walking down the street, she shouted "oh look theres my friend "mary" from the creche. I decided to go over and say hi, so we crossed the road and approached "mary" and her parents. I was all smiles and introduced my daughter as mary's pal. Marys Dad, whose English was not great either, explained that Mary did not speak English. I was a bit surprised but said "Ah sure they're great pals anyway" and told my daughter to give Mary a hug. My daughter obliged and off we went.

A few minutes later doubt set in and I asked my daughter "Was that really Mary?" She said "no but it looked like her".

Those people must have though I was a total nut.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Why parents do crazy things.

Creche rang my friend the other day to tell her she'd left the buggy in the car park. Loaded the kids, then drove off leaving the buggy. :o

Another friend was already to pull out of the drive way, when the 4yr old called out what about the baby? Mum goes back into house and finds the baby in carrycot in the hall. :o

We've all left the car unlocked, front door unlocked, and on occasion left all the doors wide open. Whats amazing is that no calls in to let you know. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

Another thing which has happened a few times especially in America
    Where on a normal sunny day might not even be hot, and the Mother decides to go shopping leaving the baby in the car and toddler for a few minutes forget the fact the sun is baking in the window and all doors autumatically locked, she is unexpectledly longer and the children in the car ,which therefor can cause sufforcation, but I know this is wacky and I'm unable to find the information, but it did happen, I don't know what happen to the kids . but its so easy for it to happen...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

As a mum and childminder I have learnt that cleaning the house when kids are growing is like shovelling snow when it's still snowing.

Also a very important thing to remember is not all children tell lies and not all adults tell the truth. I never gave it much notice until I had children.

Have learnt to be more spontaneous.

Realising that you are considered as the greatest mum in the world until they reach 10 - 12 years old then seen as someone who knows nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭PJG

our two have tought me a lot of things the most important -
    - to lighten up and not take life to serious

- really look forward to the weekend

• Advertisement
Advertisement