Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Phonebill - How can I reduce this?

Options
  • 10-02-2006 9:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭

Here is a breakdown of my latest Eircom telephone bill, probably typical of many people's bills.

Eircom Talktime Anytime €66.10

Broadband Home Plus €49.58

Calls €42.02

VAT €33.11

Total €190.81

1. The calls are to mobile, 1890, 1800 and directory enquiries.

2. I work from home. This is why I have opted for Talktime Anytime. However, I also have a package with my O2 mobile which gives me 250 minutes a month to any number (landlines included) plus 100 texts for €50 including VAT. I can reclaim the VAT on the mobile. I can't reclaim it on the home phone.

I can't decide whether or not Talktime is worth it, but the difference between it and the dreaded line rental isn't huge. That's what tempted me into it in the first place.

Does this bill look typical? Can I improve on it?

Thanks.

D.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Beta2

The problem Eircom - The solution Smart or BT.

My bill was typically the same, I have just moved to BT.

BT Broadband and line rental all in for €35 (similar to smart).
    BT have cheaper calls all around and they also do talk bundles.

Also see http://www.smart076.ie These are an Irish VOIP company who will give you an Irish 076 number for free that you can use on your broadband line, it works like a prepay ready to go mobile phone, and is much cheaper than eircom.

Regards

Beta2

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

if you have broadband, www.blueface.ie will hook you up with your existing landline number number and your calls will be cheap as chips. They are a VOIP provider. Forget skype, it doesn't even get a look in. Smart 076 is okay, but blueface are leading the way. Being able to keep you landlane number is one major advantage. You can have an 076 number with them too if you like

I work from home too and use it.

Failing that (IE if you don't have broadband) try euphony for your phone calls. Their "network marketing" scheme is a bit naff, but the service and prices they offer are great.

Do either of these and you will save at least 40%. With blueface, your call charges could come down as much as 60-70% Especially on international.

Also, get into a habit of using goldenpages.ie rather than dir enq.

Mobile to mobile calls are the cheapest way to go. Get a meteor phone for your mobile calls, savings to be had. You will still save money by using blueface to make mobile calls rather than eircom, but using another mobile, especially meteor is well worth it.

HTH

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Dinarius wrote:

1. The calls are to mobile, 1890, 1800 and directory enquiries.

Very hard to get decent deals to any of those destinations.

Can you get a landline alternative to the 1890 which could work out a lot cheaper, eg 1890123456 point to 01 1234567 so ring teh Dublin number instead.

Use the web based phonebook to look up numbers , thats www.eircom.ie link on top.

1800 is emmm umm FREE!

• Registered Users Posts: 46,104 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I also work from home and I moved to Btireland a couple of years ago. I have to say that they are far far cheaper than Eircom. Line is residential mind you.

As Beta2 said you can have your landline calls and rental for €35 per month and you can have broadband for an extra €30 per month (maybe its €25)

The only problem I have found with BTIreland is their customer service dept is basically non existant at times.
    Funny little thing happened a few months back. I rang them about something they were to have done for me but they didn't. The girl I was talking to insisted it was done but refused to give me dates etc becuse she couldn't and would not admit to it. She even refused to put me through to a supervisor initially

Anyhow I persisted and demanded to know the particular details and when I told her she was unhelpful she accused me of being rude. When asked as to how she came to that conclusion she said it was because I kept answering back.... Amazing but true..... After that statement I told her she should look for a job in a morgue where the customers dont answer back.

After nearly 15 minutes of getting nowhere she reluctantly put me through to a supervisor who in fairness admitted their mistake and as a gesture of goodwill give me 2 months broadband for free - nice one.

Sorry I know that was a bit off topic but to the point at hand - I would certainly reccommend BTIreland for their prices

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭jpogorman

BT's customer service and billing are terrible. I'm finding it impossible to get overcharging on my bill fixed. I'd recommend looking at Smart first.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 john_john

You could cut down the cost of calls dramitically by using cheapchat.ie's number before you make any out going calls - up to 92% off calls to mobiles from eircom!

I should be a bloody sales man for these guys or something, they reduced my bill so much i'm telling everyone about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭turbot

Do this:

Sign up to NTL Broadband and it's free installation, free for three months, and you get a free wireless router and usb adaptor (provided you ask for it on the phone) .

You can then get NTL Digital TV for 5 a month for the first 6 months, and 10 a month for the next 6 months.

Then get blueface for your phone calls, with whichever package best describes your usage. Minimise your calls to mobiles et voila - huge savings.

I'll probably save €100 + a month working from home

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I'd almost recommend signing up for a vodafone [yes, on your mobile] business package - you get a hell of a lot of free minutes to any number on it, and the monthly payment is far less than that bill you have

I've had problems with being overcharged by eircom[for calls we couldn't have made], who are just not interested in solving the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Just got a letter from Eircom saying that my special offer period for my broadband connection is coming to an end and, from March 1, it will be €39.99 per month instead of the current €29.99 per month.

So, my broadband is now 33% more.

It just gets worse.

D.

Advertisement