Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[article] More than 2,000 gardaí driving without adequate training

• 10-02-2006 9:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭

More than 2,000 gardaí driving without adequate training
    10/02/2006 - 07:47:14

More than 2,000 Gardaí are reportedly driving official vehicles on Ireland's roads without adequate training.

Reports this morning said garda rules required all members of the force to have completed a basic driver training programme before getting behind the wheel of an official car.

However, this can be bypassed with written permission from a chief superintendent, as long as the garda in question holds a full licence.

That system was initially envisaged as a temporary measure, but this morning's reports said Justice Minister Michael McDowell had confirmed that more than 2,000 gardaí were now driving official vehicles under the measure.

The large numbers driving without adequate training is believed to be linked to the fact that the Gardaí can only provide training for 720 officers every year.

Fine Gael TD Jim O'Keefe has expressed concern about the situation, saying it is worrying that large numbers of untrained gardaí could be involved in high-speed pursuits in high-powered cars.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/2006/02/10/story244002.html

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Bluetonic wrote:
    Fine Gael TD Jim O'Keefe has expressed concern about the situation, saying it is worrying that large numbers of untrained gardaí could be involved in high-speed pursuits in high-powered cars.
    Like Toyota Yaris's for example? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Just last night I saw a squad car driven through red lights, at speed, through a blind junction with NO blues and twos on. Fcuking disgraceful display of 'driving'. We're still a joke of a country in many respects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

murphaph wrote:
    Just last night I saw a squad car driven through red lights, at speed, through a blind junction with NO blues and twos on. Fcuking disgraceful display of 'driving'. We're still a joke of a country in many respects.

Couldn't agree more...
    They were probably en route to buy some donuts...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Or possibly a burglary in progress, panic attack alarm, robbery in progress, armed incident,
    ....where using sirens would obviously give the crims time to escape and using blue lights would tip off any get away drivers.

Or else a joyriding incident where joy riders would happily ram a garda car with big identifying blue lights on it.

Just because you are going down to the park to walk your dog or to the shop to stock up on crisps does not mean the law are doing the same.

TBH unless you are in the actual police car and know what call they are responding too you shouldnt say otherwise.

Amount of these anti garda threads popping up are serious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭MT

I too was nearly involved in accident, through no fault of my own, when some idiot in a Garda car pulled out to overtake me on a bend on the brow of a hill in Donegal. Of course s/he met a car coming over the hill in the opposite direction and had to almost drive over my bonet to get out of the way. Madness!

Surely, part of the job spec. for a garda driver should be to set a good example to the general motoring public. Who will respect the rules of the road when even the cops don't?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Chief--- wrote:
    Or possibly a burglary in progress, panic attack alarm, robbery in progress, armed incident,
    ....where using sirens would obviously give the crims time to escape and using blue lights would tip off any get away drivers.

Or else a joyriding incident where joy riders would happily ram a garda car with big identifying blue lights on it.

Sorry, but regardless of what they are going to it is unacceptable to run red lights with no lights or siren.

MrP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Chief--- wrote:

Just because you are going down to the park to walk your dog or to the shop to stock up on crisps does not mean the law are doing the same.

TBH unless you are in the actual police car and know what call they are responding too you shouldnt say otherwise.

The blues without twos were switched on after the car had passed through the blind junction. It was just bad and dangerous driving Chief.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,947 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Chief--- wrote:

I better not say anything so.. but believe me if I did you'd be anti-gardai too! :(

Advertisement