Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wired Smoke Alarm Problem

Options
  • 10-02-2006 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭

We have two wired smoke alarms in our house and in the middle of the night one of them decided to go off. It went off for about 3 mins and then stopped, I obviously checked around for any sign of fire or smoke, but nothing. It then continued to go off like this for 3 mins every hour. I took it off the ceiling wiggled the wires a bit and that seemed to stop it until this morning, but now it is going off every few minutes so I have disconnected it. Does anyone here know whether this just means that the back up battery needs to be changed or is it something more serious? Do these types of alarms need changing every few years? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Lockster wrote:
    We have two wired smoke alarms in our house and in the middle of the night one of them decided to go off. .

Sounds like it's just the back up battery, usually only a 9v, no problem to change and see

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

I'm currently renting a house with one of these wired smoke alarms & one night recently it beeped every minute for 20 mins - since I replaced the battery it has been quiet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭stag39

Mains smoke alarms normally have hard wired rechargable batteries in them.. if one starts going faulty best bet is to replace it..

Advertisement