Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom line test

• 10-02-2006 10:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if there's a difference between 'Fail' and 'Unsuitable' on the eircom web page that allow you to see if your phone line is compatable with DSL?

Up to Christmas every time I tried it I was given the result 'Fail', but now I get 'Unsuitable'????

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Patrickof wrote:
    Does anyone know if there's a difference between 'Fail' and 'Unsuitable' on the eircom web page that allow you to see if your phone line is compatable with DSL?

It's a subtle marketing change...Now no lines in Ireland "fail" anymore so the failure rate is now nil in .ie.

So obviously that doesn't help you and your line still fails the line test regardless of what the marketing bunnies call it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

unsuitable=fail

funny that cause my line still fails all online checkers, yet i have a 2 meg Eircom connection sitting right beside me

weird huh

:rolleyes:

shin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Madong

shinzon wrote:
    unsuitable=fail

funny that cause my line still fails all online checkers, yet i have a 2 meg Eircom connection sitting right beside me

weird huh

:rolleyes:

shin

so irish !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Patrickof

How can I find out if a line fails because:

(a) the exchange isn't DSL enabled
    (b) there are splitter on the copper
    (c) I'm too far
    (d) any other excuse

rahter than just a simple 'unsiutable'

I complained to eircom about having to pay full rental on a line that has splitter and they rang me to say there 'are definetly no splitters on our line'.

Though I don't believe them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

Right if you really want to see if your line is in anyway suitable at all for broadband dont get on the phone to them waste of time

Goto the top

e-mail ceo of eircom

phil.nolan@eircom.ie

Mention everything you have said in here, plus its no harm to also say about the vulnerable line scheme put in place by eircom (whether its still in place i dont know), it basically states eircom will do everything to try and fix the line for BB only catch is theyll only do this if you sign upto Eircom BB.

If you get nothing back from him then off to comreg you go

Shin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Patrickof wrote:

(c) I'm too far
    (d) any other excuse

Welcome to the Kafkaesque world of eircom (and Comreg)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Patrickof wrote:

(c) I'm too far
    (d) any other excuse
    Eircom won't tell you, but you could do a little research for yourself.
    (a) Enter your number into the Smart line checker (www.smarttelecom.ie) and see what exchange you're actually connected to. Then go here (http://mmm.eircom.ie/maps/default.asp) and see if the exchange is listed. Try a few other local/neighbours numbers in the Eircom line checker to see if it's available to them.
    (b) If you're getting dial-up connection speeds of 40k or above it's unlikely there is a splitter on the line. Anything below 30-35k would indicate a splitter but poor line quality could also cause this.
    (c) Drive from your house to the exchange and check the distance. Although your line could take a longer route it will give you a good indication. Eircom consider anything longer than 4.5 - 5KM too far.
    (d) Any other excuse could be anything from copper quality to something inside your house causing the test to fail (eg. Sky digibox, poor internal wiring, DECT cordless phone etc.)
    HTH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

You should use netsource's line tester for starters. If the exchange is enabled and your test failed, you will see a test date. Otherwise you will not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Blaster99 wrote:
    You should use netsource's line tester for starters. If the exchange is enabled and your test failed, you will see a test date. Otherwise you will not.
    The odd thing I find about the Netsource line checker is any numbers I've ever put into it come back with nothing (no pass/fail or test date) except for a few Dublin numbers I've entered. Even my fathers number, that doesn't have BB but I know for a fact it's suitable comes back with a blank result.
    The only thing I can put it down to is that Netsource still use the old area codes in their checker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Patrickof

Kaisersoze,

We're on The Heath exchange, but I've no idea where that is. I'll do a drive around.

We regularly get dial up speeds of 42K - 46K so that would seem to rule out splitters thankfully.

Being cynical here, but as we haven't broadband my wife, who works from home, has been running some large bills so technically eircom are doing better with us on dial up than if we had broadband.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

I've never used it for anything other than 01 numbers, but if it doesn't work with non 01-numbers correctly, obviously don't rely on it. It's a pity because it's very useful to know when the test is run so you can unplug everything for a day or so around that time, assuming it runs around the same time every month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Patrickof wrote:
    Being cynical here, but as we haven't broadband my wife, who works from home, has been running some large bills so technically eircom are doing better with us on dial up than if we had broadband.
    More of a case of "Nail on the head" than cynical.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭ai ing

Also one to be aware of is the internal wiring of your house or if you have cordless phones with a powered base station. These can also cause failures on the line test. The normal suggestion is to unplug all the extra phone gear (possibly for up to 8 weeks) and use a standard phone.

Advertisement