Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running 100mm pipework in 140mm Timber Frame Studding?

Options
  • 10-02-2006 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭

Hi All,

I just wanted to see if anyone has any information on possible issues with running plumbing pipework within timber frame studding. The stud is 140mm and the pipework is 100mm so I would be sound insulating around it then.

Thanks,
    Lastbuilders

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Corkey123

100 mm pipe work!! Is this the waste pipe ? Can you explain what type of function the pipe work is servicing

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I ran a waste pipe down an internal wall.
    The wall was 6" deep and I just insulated the area round it with Rockwool.
    You must make absolutely sure that the pipe is 100% plumb otherwise with 5" studs it will run out over the height of the wall.
    Oh and be very careful slabbing!

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭lastbuilders

It is a waste pipe from our ensuite. The only other option is to bring it out into the roof space in the adjoining sunroom which is not what we would like to do.
    Lastbuilders

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Corkey123

It the case of the main waste you will get unwanted noise, I would be inclined to surround it with insulation such as rockwook and double slab it. As CJ mentioned be careful while slabbing

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭lastbuilders

I am going to put insulation around it within the stud and I then am going to have an airtight membrane followed by a 2" service cavity which is going on all external walls which will be insulated too followed by the slab so hopefully sound will not be an issue. I think sound would be a bigger issue if I have it running in the roof space above the sunroom.

Lastbuilders

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

FWIW it's the norm in many countries on the continent to run waste pipes internally. In fact one question I get quite often from visitors here is what all these big fat ugly pipes are for on the outside of houses :)

Anyway, I lived there for 20+ years with internal waste pipes, and never heard a thing. I know for a fact also that the internal waste pipes in my house in Holland weren't sound insulated. They just ran up a boxed in corner in the hallway.

Advertisement