Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Putin invites Hames Leaders to Moscow

Options
  • 10-02-2006 11:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭

After all the rest of the western world calling on Hamas to give up its rethoric of Israeli destruction and condemning the group of supporters of terrorism, President of Russia, Vlad Putin, curtailer of free speech and independent media and possibly a leader of an emerging non-democracy (whatever state it may appear left after him) has invited a democratically elected government to talks in Moscow, there by confirming the legitimacy of Hamas as a valid political party and new leaders of the Palestinian People.

Does anyone else find this ironic that a group labeled as terrorists gain the peoples popular support but are legitimized by an almost dictator like figure known to have little or no sympathy for terrorists/freedom fighters?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

President of Russia, Vlad Putin, curtailer of free speech and independent media and possibly a leader of an emerging non-democracy
    :confused:
    hes a what now?

tbh, the real irony is that a democratically elected government in a newly formed state hasn't been invited to talks by the western leaders who are so busily spreading freedom and democracy throughout the middle east.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Putin only cares about what's good for Russia. He doesn't have issues with terrorists/freedom fighters if it's not directly Russia-related.

What I find interesting is how he is so sympathetic with Hamas etc. even though Russia has a large Jewish population. Seems odd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

dublindude wrote:
    Seems odd.

Not totally sure, but based on my watching of "Munich" over the weekend, hasn't Russia traditionally been supportive of the Middle Eastern Arabs (except of course when they are invading Afganistan)?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yea, they were supplying most of them with weapons and advisors for most of the cold war. There were even quite large Marxist parties in some of the ME countries, strangely enough. 50/60s Iraq springs to mind as one.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

dublindude wrote:
    What I find interesting is how he is so sympathetic with Hamas etc. even though Russia has a large Jewish population. Seems odd.
    Maybe, just maybe he's planning to have a talk with them along the lines of
    "you've got your state now, you can lead the way for the middle east or you can keep bitching about Israel until they bomb you back into the stone age"

Just how many western democracies came about peacefully?
    And how many fought wars of independance / uprising against monarchies?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Dylan_James

Russia's new stratagy seems to be divide and conquer.

I bet most western people are against the ideals of Hamas but at the same them they know they must respect a peoples voice and eventually negociate.

Putin wants to see which ones of the western nations will fall off the "No support for Hamas until it gives up terrorism" bandwagon and start talking with Hamas. Putin also knows that if he is the first leader to speak to a terror group more than likey five years ten years later Putin wins noble peace prize.

"No support for Hamas until it gives up terrorism"
    Heres the punchline - Hamas cannot be called a terrorist organization now, any more than the US Republicans. They are a democratically elected government, any violence they carry out now is by definition on behalf of the palistinian people who voted for them.

Somone made a hames of Hamas in the topic title...;)

dublindude wrote:
    Putin only cares about what's good for Russia.

You could say the same thing about any leader of any country

I think its a job requirement.

• Advertisement

Gurgle wrote:
    I think its a job requirement.

Thus all the unpleasantness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I didn't mean this in a bad way. I know it's his job.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,420 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Does anyone else find this ironic that a group labeled as terrorists gain the peoples popular support but are legitimized by an almost dictator like figure known to have little or no sympathy for terrorists/freedom fighters?
    Maybe he's going to have the "now that you've been elected, you have responsibilities" chat?

PS "Would you like to buy some guns"?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Victor wrote:
    Maybe he's going to have the "now that you've been elected, you have responsibilities" chat?

"We're also happy to enrich some uranium for you, if you like.." :)

As with the situation in NI, progress will not come about if people sit on each side of the fence refusing to move until the other does. Someone has to make a move, it won't be Israel, or the US, so there's a chance that this will be a good thing for Hamas, it will give them a hint towards what will happen when they start acting like a government; the fact is that there is a good chance (if Kadima get into power) that Israel will withdraw from the rest of Gaza; Hamas should show that if this happens, they're ready to talk seriously about peace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Pazaz 21

Wibbs wrote:
    Yea, they were supplying most of them with weapons and advisors for most of the cold war. There were even quite large Marxist parties in some of the ME countries, strangely enough. 50/60s Iraq springs to mind as one.

Egypt Before and during the Six Day War ! Syria before and during the Six Day War !

Somone made a hames of Hamas in the topic title...;)

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha , that's a classic !

Victor wrote:

Very good point, and a pretty likely one

Advertisement