Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What Think Thee ?? Worth a look?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

A 1998 Carina with 15k miles. It's very low - I'd wonder why?

It's also described as "totally unique" - why is that?

I got this info. on it from a source......

Vehicle details
    Manufacturer TOYOTA
    Model CARINA E CD
    Body type 5 DOOR HATCHBACK
    Colour WHITE
    Fuel type PETROL
    Date manufactured 31 December 1997
    Number of previous owners 0
    Last owner change 01 August 1997

It might be kosher, but I'd be suspicious tbh. Get a HPI check and get it inspected thoroughly. Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭fatboypee

A 1998 Carina with 15k miles. It's very low - I'd wonder why?

It's also described as "totally unique" - why is that?

I got this info. on it from a source......

Vehicle details
    Manufacturer TOYOTA
    Model CARINA E CD
    Body type 5 DOOR HATCHBACK
    Colour WHITE
    Fuel type PETROL
    Date manufactured 31 December 1997
    Number of previous owners 0
    Last owner change 01 August 1997

It might be kosher, but I'd be suspicious tbh. Get a HPI check and get it inspected thoroughly. Good luck with it.

Thanks, may check it out allright, reason I'm not soooo suspicious is the last car I brought in was a 1994 Vauxhall Cavailer, ad said geniune 13k, got it HPI'd & garage checked, totally genuine...brought it in for just under 2300..

They are out there...invarialby owned by old chaps (Cavalier was)....

Cheers for the advice..

FBP.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

fatboypee wrote:

Yes 15,000 miles on a 8 year old car is very suspect. More like 150,000 I think.

Have a look at this as an alternative:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=345886
    I know it has 120k miles but if it is checked and is mechanically sound, then it might be worth a look. It should get you to 200k without much trouble if it is mechanically sound and looked after. I would think also you would buy it cheaper than what they are asking for it too. The Mk1 Avensis was a major improvement on the Carina E that it replaced.

Just my 2 cent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭phoenix_nights

I would have to agree.

Also safety should be a major factor in any purchase you make. You might save a few quids buying that car from england but the avensis would serve you better should you ever get into an accident.

I drive a 94 e-class estate so that it puts as much metal between me and any other cars.......
    bazz26 wrote:
    Yes 15,000 miles on a 8 year old car is very suspect. More like 150,000 I think.

Have a look at this as an alternative:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=345886
    I know it has 120k miles but if it is checked and is mechanically sound, then it might be worth a look. It should get you to 200k without much trouble if it is mechanically sound and looked after. I would think also you would buy it cheaper than what they are asking for it too. The Mk1 Avensis was a major improvement on the Carina E that it replaced.

Just my 2 cent.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

It checks out fine too.

Manufacturer MERCEDES
    Model 200E AUTO
    Body type 4 DOOR SALOON
    Colour BLACK
    Fuel type PETROL
    Date manufactured 30 December 1992
    Number of previous owners 1
    Last owner change 17 June 1999

Well mercs of this series are better in autos. I have owned 3 mercs and they have always been autos. The manuals don't quite suit the engine and are never really that desirable.

Only real problem with the car though is that it is '93. It received an update in '94 which apart from some clear indicators (no big deal) and a passenger airbag(very important) came with an newer version of the engine which didnt suffer from the gasket problem of the previous.
    fatboypee wrote:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

fatboypee wrote:
    Guess y'er right, just don't like the thought of 120k up on the clock of any non-diesel before I even go for it.....

I know what you are saying but if the car has been properly maintained and serviced regularly then it should last for another 80 - 100k miles. My father had a 92 Carina II for 4 years, he then sold it to a work collegue who still has today and it now has over 200k miles on the clock, it is still going, it was serviced every 12k.
    fatboypee wrote:

That Merc looks nice if the mileage is genuine but as already mentioned the Merc auto is alot better than the manual and is more sought after by buyers. These cars will do starship miles too.

yeah, half the reason I looked at he Carina in the first place was because my uncle has a Diesel with over 300k on and still going well and a mate of mine also has a 95 carina with over 180k on it...

Thing with the merc is my wife would be driving the new car and has issues with visibility, bollards and anything stationary (hence I want her OUT of my beloved Cavalier (yes, I know, maybe its a fettish :rolleyes: ) before its totally rollicked and into something that will last a while and that I have no such sentimental attachment to...

Peeman.

• Advertisement

I'd look into a mitsubishi spacestar. Great visibility, great economy and cheap too. They are a bit underpowered but i had one for a week and did 1000 miles on it and found it a joy to drive. Would easily buy it myself for a second car.

lawtonfoleymotorsSpaSil889.jpg
    fatboypee wrote:
    yeah, half the reason I looked at he Carina in the first place was because my uncle has a Diesel with over 300k on and still going well and a mate of mine also has a 95 carina with over 180k on it...

Thing with the merc is my wife would be driving the new car and has issues with visibility, bollards and anything stationary (hence I want her OUT of my beloved Cavalier (yes, I know, maybe its a fettish :rolleyes: ) before its totally rollicked and into something that will last a while and that I have no such sentimental attachment to...

Peeman.

mmmm.... good idea in principle but not sure they're that big... Carina is quite roomy and theres always a danger that she who must be obeyed chooses to ignore my pleas to change car and keeps my cavalier, leaving me in the SpaceStar... I'm no macho boy (used to drive an old 1992 Nissan Micra) but the SpaceStar is rather a ladies car...... :confused:

I've a 94 Fiesta Ghia 1.6 that I drive at the moment, Build Quality more than questionable but the engine is the 16v XR2 unit and is a flyer... but being a practical bod I recognise the need for a family waggon replacement and have been scouting for a Passat estate (old one), Golf Estate or even an Astra Estate....pref with a diesel engine and reasonably low miles..

buut my budget is a mere 3 grand stretch to 4 for a long-lasting job...

Its either that or cut my losses and get a nippy runabout similar to the fiesta (1.4 Corsa, Colt, Ibiza..?....).... simple to run, cheap to insure etc etc...

i would put a bet on with you that if she took the spacestar for a test drive around the block she would never go back to a carina. you can even move the back bench further back depending whether you want more leg room or boot space. trust me. has more space than a carina.
    fatboypee wrote:
    mmmm.... good idea in principle but not sure they're that big... Carina is quite roomy and theres always a danger that she who must be obeyed chooses to ignore my pleas to change car and keeps my cavalier, leaving me in the SpaceStar... I'm no macho boy (used to drive an old 1992 Nissan Micra) but the SpaceStar is rather a ladies car...... :confused:

I've a 94 Fiesta Ghia 1.6 that I drive at the moment, Build Quality more than questionable but the engine is the 16v XR2 unit and is a flyer... but being a practical bod I recognise the need for a family waggon replacement and have been scouting for a Passat estate (old one), Golf Estate or even an Astra Estate....pref with a diesel engine and reasonably low miles..

buut my budget is a mere 3 grand stretch to 4 for a long-lasting job...

Its either that or cut my losses and get a nippy runabout similar to the fiesta (1.4 Corsa, Colt, Ibiza..?....).... simple to run, cheap to insure etc etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

if the car has only done 15,000 miles, you'll be able to tell straight away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

sounds very dodgy,

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I've seen loads of trade ins with ridiculously low mileage, some people just don't drive anywhere and change car every 10 or 15 years or so.

Advertisement