Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Sports Council Carding Grants 2006

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

oldzed wrote:
    :confused: Anyone have any clue whats going on here?
    Yes, but I don't appear to be doing a good job of expaining it, it would seem :(
    simply put we dont have the shooters, facilities, funding or intrest to field effective teams in the issf disciplines
    Well.
    We're almost there in Wilkinstown to be able to field two or three people at the 580+/390+ level in air rifle, despite the recent slump during Bisley. That's okay to be starting at for ISSF anyway.

The problem is, why bother with the necessary training and investment when you know that getting selected is a subjective decision made by a committee, not an open competition? Would you invest the thousands of euros, thousands of hours, the time away from home and all the other costs of training only to have to also be well-liked by a committee in order to be chosen to go?
    Pfffft!
    Is it any wonder our best shooters from the past few years have walked away from it in disgust?
    we are sending out individuals who are doing really well considering the circumstances buts thats the way it will stay unless the funding is sorted.
    Hence the rather short tempers regarding the carding grant review in some quarters!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Sparks wrote:
    No, I'm trying to point out that you're treating this as if it were a way to knit the community together. It's not. It's meant to be the way of chosing the best shooter, nothing more. Currently, it's not doing that, it's chosing the shooters the committee thinks the most of. Different ballgame alltogether.
    Now you're trying to anthropomorphise, I never stated anything about knitting. And who said anything about who the committee thinks the most of?
    Did you read my proposal at all?
    Yes, but it seems a bit rich, you asking me did I read something when you have continually misquoted me, or used my quotes in a way that misrepresented what I was saying. Further example below.
    6-8 weeks to shoot three competitions. Nowhere in there does it say which ones, it just says that you shoot three and the decision is made on the basis of your average score. Highest one goes, so long as it's over the cut-off.
    So if there are a possible four interantionals a year, there would have to be at least 12 competitions in the same year in those disciplines, to give everyone a fair chance of qualifying. And those competitions must be laid out conveniently at 15'ish week intervals before the internationals? Which of course won't be conveniently in the same place in the calendar every year. There's a headache I certainly don't want.
    Are you saying that if you shoot a 590 in a match without coaching that you shouldn't be eligible to go?
    Only if you can show me anyone who's got that without coaching :D
    IF. It's a rather large if.
    Thing is, if I train with Matt and Geoff (both ISSF-qualified), but not with Barry, I'm not eligible to go. Even though I get better results with them because I've more time with them training and competing. So how's that fair?
    Well there's a statement! Did all five selectees for the europeans train with Barry?
    So you'll send someone with a lower score because they'll hold the lower score rather than risk sending someone with a higher score who might slip?
    Psh.
    That's not trying to win, it's trying not to lose!
    This is again either you not reading my quote in context or trying to quote it in order to lose it's meaning - It was never my contention that you send someone with lower scores, I originally referred to the need for a selection committee to make decisions on potential competitors based on other criteria taking qualifying scores as a given. I then listed some of the criteria that may be involved. You then took that to be an exhaustive list and one by one, attempted to dismiss them. I then took your dismissals, and showed that there were other possible interpretations of said criteria which would have rendered your dimissals as invalid. You then have taken those interpretations as the original criteria. Circular logic, how are ye...
    Frankly, no. Mind stating what exactly you're trying to say?
    I've done my best to explain how you've got yourself in a knot trying to dsimiss my arguments, but if you want the Dick & Jane version, It'll have to wait.

Got to go... Food!... my favourite!

Advertisement