Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can I buy a cheap tortoise?

Options
  • 10-02-2006 2:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

I am looking for something cheap but fairly hardy which would live outside at least part of the year.

Any ideas? £100GBP seems to be about the cheapest so far!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭RobEire

Where are you based?

If in Dublin - try Reptile Haven on Fishamble Street, if in London, try the huge petshop in Camden - on exiting the tube station turn left, and right and the first set of lights (as if you were walking up to London Zoo) - the petshop will be on the left hand side of the road, reptiles are upstairs.

Both places have reasonable prices (or used to at least).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Hoops

I live in Cork but am buying for someone based just north of London.

If they can deliver - then I'd talk to Dublin. Otherwise - London.

Any idea of the name of the place in London? Or a website address for either?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Gordon Gekko

If they can deliver - then I'd talk to Dublin. Otherwise - London.

It's not a bunch of flowers you're buying! :eek:

Surely it would be less stressful to the animal if it was bought in London, rather than having to 'ship it' from Dublin to north of London?! :confused:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

My concern is why are you looking for a "cheap" tortoise.

If youre going to have a tortoise for 30+ years then surely you`d consider health,welfare of the animal to be more important than the "price" you pay for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Have a look on here

http://dctortoises.co.uk/

I have bought from him before - buy the biggest you can afford - I bought 2 Russian Horsefields one died but the other is fine - I bought the smallest ones & would get older tortoises next time. But as Hellrazier says they live a long time & you want to be sure you are getting good quality - I would want to see the tortoise before I bought one to see if eyes are ok etc & that its lively & eating well.

DC tortoises are based in Canterbury in Kent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Baffled

I thought you had to have some kind of a licence to own a tortoise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Some tortoise must have a CITES certificate that the seller will give you to say they are captive bred etc. Russian Horsefields do not need a licence. Some others do not need a licence either, it all depends on their rariety - all tortoises bought from Dean Clackitt should have the correct licence - they also have a care guide with them & any good breeder or seller should be able to answer questions etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

Hellrazer wrote:
    My concern is why are you looking for a "cheap" tortoise.

If youre going to have a tortoise for 30+ years then surely you`d consider health,welfare of the animal to be more important than the "price" you pay for it.

total agreement from me

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭garlad

Can you buy them in Ireland? Sister looked into it a while ago, and couldnt find them anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 tonyfelloni

I bought a tortoise (Greek Spur) last May from a petshop in dublin. It is in the inchicore area. Will find out the exact address for anyone interested. Mine is a baby and is doing fine. It has been hibernating in my fridge since the end of november. I would advise thorough research before getting one though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

My two Hermans are also in hibernation in the fridge at the moment too. Research is hugely important. I bought mine from Reptile Haven in Fishamble St. Dublin.
    Both came with papers as they are a Cites appendix II species.
    Research Research Research ...
    Didn't you post the same question here last year Hoops?
    *edit* I dont think you'll get one for 100 sterling, and to be honest, price was not my biggest consideration when I purchased mine.

Hi Tallus
    My tortoise cost 150eur but it did not come with papers. It was bought as a present for me and I was a bit Pissed off that it didnt come with papers, especially if I want to breed them in the future (or try at least). its a Greek Spur. Do you know how old they have to be before they can be sexed?

Cheers

Tony

I gather that that the female plastron is relatively flat whereas the males is concave? it has to arc a bit to make it easier for him to mount the female.
    Tails can be a giveaway too but I dont know how reliable that is. Mine are only 4 years old and have already tried to mate a few times.
    I'm not sure about sexing and age, I mean I'm sure a vet will be able to tell you, but I dont know enough about that to be honest. I know with snakes they can probe the cloaca to check for a hemipenis, but torts appear to be different.
    How old is your tort?

Not sure, I'd hazzard a guess at 3 yrs or so. He is 70mm long app.

Sounds about the right size for that age, tho.... mine were almost identical when I got them and now they are totally different sizes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

Baffled wrote:
    I thought you had to have some kind of a licence to own a tortoise?

Pfff, in Ireland you don't even need a licence to keep a big cat provided you've got adequate space for it

Advertisement