Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Logon scripts don't have admin access

• 10-02-2006 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭

any windows admin heads out there that can tell me how to rollout something in logon script that can run 'at' commands etc. (needs administrative rights) or running windows updates or whatever. can this be done by using .vbs for the logon script instead of .bat or something. I just couldn't be arsed searching for this today.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

could you rephrase ?

only admin users have admin rights in their login scripts regardless of what your try to run

the AT command can be scheduled to run on remote machines by an admin

policies can be pushed too, to machines that aren't currently powered on

Or you are determined to have the logon trigger a scheduled job you could setup the logon script to generate a text file in a shared folder. Then a second script looping on a server in an Admin logon could check for the presence of the text file and then parse it and run an AT job then. Very fiddly

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭davil

I think you've answered my question. I've used the at command to schedule remote commands alright. that's been working but it's not hitting as many PCs as I'd like (obviously they have to be on when the script gets to them), also as far as group policies is concerned, the place I work is only just getting around to implementing Active Directory (it's a long story), but for the time being we need a workaround. You have said that the logon script only runs under the privileges of the person who's logging on and that's fair enough. I think I'll go with your text file idea. Fiddly is my middle name.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭davil

Righteo here's what I've done
    1. Wrote a basic file to write a batch file. (if anyone wants the code, it's no problem , in Qbasic or VB it'll do the same job). this basic file takes info on pcs from pcs.txt, which has a list of all the PCs on my network

this is what the batch file looks like
    IF EXIST \\SERVERname\share$\pcson\pcname1.txt CALL \\servername\share\schedon.bat pcname1

and so on and so on for pcname2 and pcname3 etc.
    So then the next thing is schedon.bat - it is as follows:
    @echo off

ECHO ///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
    ECHO.
    ECHO %1 FOUND. SCHEDULING STINGER

AT \\%1 /DELETE /YES
    at \\%1 07:30am /every:M,T,W,Th,F,S,Su c:\STNG260.exe /ADL /GO /LOG /SILENT

DEL \\serv\share$\PCSON\%1.TXT

This is just an example (of scheduling stinger to run on the PC, I already have it copied to the root of C)
    But I have many more entries as we have lots of scheduling to do.
    I mostly use Qbasic because it's fast and we don't have a VB license and I don't want to create a form in Excel or Access and blah-de-blah, you know yourself (it's a pain).

Thanks again to Capt'n Midnight.

Advertisement