Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

are you satisfied with UCDSU

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

(2) They should not disaffiliate from USI
    Red Alert wrote:
    it used to be great in engineering. they'd stand there waiting for the hail of paper aeroplanes and balls to stop and then they'd realise it wasn't.....
    ... and that some of the balls were lit....

ah fun days. Very disappointed when female canidates didn't do as we asked and "get their tits out" :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

(2) They should disaffiliate from USI
    irlrobins wrote:
    ... and that some of the balls were lit....

ah fun days. Very disappointed when female canidates didn't do as we asked and "get their tits out" :p
    I remember a couple of years ago gay Séamus had a girl come into the lecture before him to explain to us all that he was a bit nervous and would we please all be on our best behaviour for when he spoke to us.

Needless to say it didn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

(1) No I am not satisified with USDSU
    Incidentally, on the point of being satisfied with the Union, the new website was launched today; it sits at www.ucdsu.net and everyone is welcome to check it out and email Patrick McKay, the SU Design Officer, with any comments or queries at sudesign@ucd.ie.

And Scraggs, the guy is Brian Canny. Auditor of RetroSoc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Incidentally, on the point of being satisfied with the Union, the new website was launched today; it sits at www.ucdsu.net and everyone is welcome to check it out and email Patrick McKay, the SU Design Officer, with any comments or queries at sudesign@ucd.ie.

And Scraggs, the guy is Brian Canny. Auditor of RetroSoc.

As tony would say the new website is grrrrreeeeat!It looks really good-well done lads!Student friendly at last and no longer a poor indymedia rip off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 VenusInFurs

Though not to everbody's taste, I must admit I did like the no-frills model of the old website. But kudos to Patrick McKay for the sterling work he did on the new design for the website. Very impressive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Dan Hayden lecturered us this year.
    Very funny hearing his manifesto about what he'd promise us. Well done Dan, 3rd years aren't here next year.

ahh dan is lovely,he's so cute!you'd like him sangre,you should vote for him.oh no no more sangre next year??!!what will the ucd boardies do?someone else will have to turn into the resident D4 b*stard!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

A tad off-topic je sais, but is there any way of knowing if your class rep is actually attending council meetings? I found out yesterday that 3rd Med has an SU rep, she has not once introduced herself to the class as a rep or asked us about upcoming motions.

Any chance council could mandate someone (Secretary?) to keep a record of which reps actually turn up and stick them up on the website? Does something like that already exist, and if not, who do you talk to to organsie something like that?

A tad off-topic je sais, but is there any way of knowing if your class rep is actually attending council meetings? I found out yesterday that 3rd Med has an SU rep, she has not once introduced herself to the class as a rep or asked us about upcoming motions.

Any chance council could mandate someone (Secretary?) to keep a record of which reps actually turn up and stick them up on the website? Does something like that already exist, and if not, who do you talk to to organsie something like that?

Heya Jim!Amy morgan,u know my friend with the long hair from Drogheda was class rep last year.James Carroll is a friend of her's from Drogheda and he said he needed to write somone down so he just wrote her down.She didnt want to do it and told him, so was it only in name that she was our su rep.This isnt Amy's fault it's the unions fault!We never get told about su elections.I asked somone in the union if we could swap as Amy didnt want to be it and I really did.We hadnt known that the elections were already over as no one had told us.So I went into the union and asked could I be the rep cos I really wanted to get involved and Amy said she didnt mind.I was told the deadline was passed and Amy's name was down so I couldnt.I tried to explain that it was with Amy's blessing but they said all the 'paperwor' had been done!

Also They do keep a record on the website of who turns up for the council executive meeting.Just on a point of information Michelle Kileen running for welfare has only turned up to two of these meetings of council.I think freshers can get sucked in by hearing that she is experienced by being 'womens officer'.Womens officer entails running just one week of events.
    MIhelle's week was just a week of night time events and then self defence class.She had no information on cervical smear testing,helthy eating for women anaemia is rampant on camous.So the fact that she was a 'womens officer' meand very little espacially in light of the fact that she turned up to 2executive council meetings,She also thinks that the welfare office has a 'pro-choice' stance and doesnt even jnow the proper legislation for abortion in Irealnd.Something that really a 'womens officer' should know.She is a nice girl but extremely underprepared,uneducated,adn naive when it comes to the welfare os student in UCD.
    As a former nominnee for welfare,I would be extremely worried if somone like Michelle was voted welfare officer

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

panda100 wrote:
    Heya Jim! <snip> welfare officer

Here! Put a space between sentences will ya! You're starting to write like gamer! :p

• Advertisement

panda100 wrote:
    Heya Jim! <snip> welfare officer

NO, it wasn't Amy I was thinking of, Catherine Foley is our rep apparently! Googled it and came up with this

And on the attendence thing, I was wondering if it was taken at Council rather than Exec meetings.

NO, it wasn't Amy I was thinking of, Catherine Foley is our rep apparently! Googled it and came up with this

And on the attendence thing, I was wondering if it was taken at Council rather than Exec meetings.

Odd catherine foley?Maybe thats cathy?must ask-her name isnt down in the official listings of the class reps anyways.
    Yeah thats a good idea they should definatly do attendance for council meetings.I've heared though that its the same people every week,darren cogavin,conor mc gowna,enda duffy,chris bond ,alllt eh extreme lefties just running their own little show so no wonder all those mad motions get passes.

Oh are u running for med soc,Jim.I can honestly,hand on heart say that you would do a brill job-v.approachable and sweet!

panda100 wrote:
    Odd catherine foley?Maybe thats cathy?must ask-her name isnt down in the official listings of the class reps anyways.
    Yeah thats a good idea they should definatly do attendance for council meetings.I've heared though that its the same people every week,darren cogavin,conor mc gowna,enda duffy,chris bond ,alllt eh extreme lefties just running their own little show so no wonder all those mad motions get passes.

Oh are u running for med soc,Jim.I can honestly,hand on heart say that you would do a brill job-v.approachable and sweet!

Attendence should really be taken at every council and published - that's what would happen at any councilesque meeting anywhere in the world. If people stop showing for no good reason their constituents should know about it. It would put a stop to people doing it for the good of their CVs.
    panda100 wrote:

Ha! Thanks for the kind words, was thinking of going for the top job but I decided not to in the end, 2 of my good friends are on the present committee (well till the elections tomorrow) and they said it was a LOT of work. Might see about a committee position, so you may yet have a contact in yet another society!

I think this is a great idea Jim.I'll ask Vainglory to propose a motion and Im sure colm Bryrne will second it.It should be a motion that attendance willl be taken at all council meetings and if a class rep misses more than three without a valid reaon then he/she will have to step down from their position.

I will definatly be up for presenting this motion with u Jim in front of council as long as vainglory proposes it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

panda100 wrote:
    Heya Jim!Amy morgan,u know my friend with the long hair from Drogheda was class rep last year.James Carroll is a friend of her's from Drogheda and he said he needed to write somone down so he just wrote her down.She didnt want to do it and told him, so was it only in name that she was our su rep.This isnt Amy's fault it's the unions fault!We never get told about su elections.I asked somone in the union if we could swap as Amy didnt want to be it and I really did.We hadnt known that the elections were already over as no one had told us.So I went into the union and asked could I be the rep cos I really wanted to get involved and Amy said she didnt mind.I was told the deadline was passed and Amy's name was down so I couldnt.I tried to explain that it was with Amy's blessing but they said all the 'paperwor' had been done!

Also They do keep a record on the website of who turns up for the council executive meeting.Just on a point of information Michelle Kileen running for welfare has only turned up to two of these meetings of council.I think freshers can get sucked in by hearing that she is experienced by being 'womens officer'.Womens officer entails running just one week of events.
    MIhelle's week was just a week of night time events and then self defence class.She had no information on cervical smear testing,helthy eating for women anaemia is rampant on camous.So the fact that she was a 'womens officer' meand very little espacially in light of the fact that she turned up to 2executive council meetings,She also thinks that the welfare office has a 'pro-choice' stance and doesnt even jnow the proper legislation for abortion in Irealnd.Something that really a 'womens officer' should know.She is a nice girl but extremely underprepared,uneducated,adn naive when it comes to the welfare os student in UCD.
    As a former nominnee for welfare,I would be extremely worried if somone like Michelle was voted welfare officer
    TBH, every time I hear "women's officer", I cringe, and think, what a lame-ass unnecessary post, and then stop listening to whatever else she says :v:

panda100 wrote:
    I think this is a great idea Jim.I'll ask Vainglory to propose a motion and Im sure colm Bryrne will second it.It should be a motion that attendance willl be taken at all council meetings and if a class rep misses more than three without a valid reaon then he/she will have to step down from their position.

I will definatly be up for presenting this motion with u Jim in front of council as long as vainglory proposes it?

Not sure about the presenting bit, might leave that one to you ;). Sending you a PM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

are there other options for welfare panda? dont see why you didnt run, with that record she wouldnt take much beating by the sounds of it.

RON is a bit of a joke isnt it, was there just nobody interested in running for almighty chancellor ultimatum, or wha'?

InFront wrote:
    are there other options for welfare panda? dont see why you didnt run, with that record she wouldnt take much beating by the sounds of it.

RON is a bit of a joke isnt it, was there just nobody interested in running for almighty chancellor ultimatum, or wha'?

Barry colfer is running.A lot of people is saying he doesnt have enough union experience but I can only see this as a good thing.He really knows his stuff whenever i've been talking to him.He's clued in to exactly what needs to be done on campus.He's been invoved in a lot of societies and sat on the welfare commitee this year.He really wants the welfare job whereas michelle only expressed an intrest a week before the election.As I said before from what I know of michelle she is very nice but I think welfare is way out of her depth.
    I would really like to see Barry winning beacuse he has his head well screwed on ,knows what the job entails and is willing to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭LovelyHurling

Damn! Just for the record ive just ticked the wrong button, i accidently said i was satisfied with the work of the union (although they are nice folks). silly me, and im not even drinking! yet. i have to go now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

TBH panda I don't think it's exactly fair for you to be lets say ''promoting'' a candidate over another candidate.

I don't offically know who's been attending council meetings and yeah I would be concerned about people not showing up at them but I don't like to see one candidate been blatantly promoted over another esp. considering the candidate in question is an absolutely smashing and trustworthy girl who is been singled out in your post when I'm certain there are many other reps supposedly not showing up. Would also like to discuss other members of council not showing up who don't have to be running for welfare by any chance?

At the end of the day it's down to both candidates through their manifestos and their lecture addresses to convince students to vote for them. I'm sure most students will form their own individual opinions on each candidate through these methods and not other external sources.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Samos

As far as I know, attendences are taken at the start of every council session. Those who cannot make it for a genuine reason are asked to submit a written apology to the secretary before the meeting commences. Any representative who fails to attend two consecutive meetings and fails to provide an excuse on each occassion is liable to be expelled from their position. Maybe singingstranger can confirm this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Vainglory

The Students' Union position on abortion is in fact pro-choice. Non-directive is another way of saying pro-choice. So Michelle was right there.

And Barry didn't get all the questions about the legal situation around abortion in Ireland right either.

Samos wrote:
    As far as I know, attendences are taken at the start of every council session. Those who cannot make it for a genuine reason are asked to submit a written apology to the secretary before the meeting commences. Any representative who fails to attend two consecutive meetings and fails to provide an excuse on each occassion is liable to be expelled from their position. Maybe singingstranger can confirm this.

On the button, Samos; this is exactly it.

On that other point - people at Council this year have expressed opinion/worry/annoyment (delete as appropriate) about mandating things when it could just be asked for. ;) The last Chair of Council stepped down after the last meeting but when the new Chair is elected (and it's them that takes attendance at Council) I'll definitely consult with them about having the roll call put online for Council meetings, seems like a good idea and can't see any reason why it's not already done. In a loose sense it's already done for Executive meetings because if there's only a maximum attendance of 15 then it's easier to list the absentees who have apologised in the minutes, rather than in Council minutes where there could be a dozen or so who have sent apologies. The minutes, incidentally, will be added to a seperate section of the website in the very near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Posters are up...

Pythia wrote:
    Posters are up...
    Christ, don't I know... what an evening! I was thinking I'd love to be one of the 1st Arts students who's never seen an election before, and had left the Arts Block relatively 'clean' at 6pm!... they're going to get a shock in the morning!

Vainglory wrote:
    The Students' Union position on abortion is in fact pro-choice. Non-directive is another way of saying pro-choice. So Michelle was right there.

And Barry didn't get all the questions about the legal situation around abortion in Ireland right either.

While it's true that Barry didn't get the legal questions right, I'm not sure if non-directive really translates as pro-choice. Given that the Union can't put the opinion into any personal case, really the Union doesn't have an opinion but merely gives information on the four possibilties available to pregnant mothers. While in practice this DOES mean pro-choice (in that the mother literally has the decision) it's not to say that the Union is not pro-life, which is a stance the Union can't take a policy on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

You saying the Union is unofficially pro-choice, but (for obvious reasons) can't declare itself as such officialy?

Well, non-directive would (I think) literally stand for doesn't-have-an-opinion. All the Union can do is provide information but it doesn't recommend anything so the thought of having even the name "non-directive" is daft.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Oh ok. Fair enough. Good idea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Vainglory

People who are "pro-choice" don't inflict their opinion on others. They advocate the giving of information to people in crisis pregancy situation and for the CHOICE then to be made. This is exactly what UCDSU does.

Nobody "pro-choice" actively encourages abortion. However, pro-lifers actively encourage the continuation of the pregnancy. This is why we cannot be said to be "pro-life".

Non-directive adovocates information and choice. Pro-choice advocates information and choice. There really is no difference. Pro-life, on the other hand, advocates a withholding of information and a reccomendation to keep the pregnancy. Nothing like what the UCDSU position is.

Non-directive also doesn't mean that we don't have an opinion. It is quite clear that our opinion is that people should have all the information available to them and then make the choice, aka pro-choice.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement