Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

are you satisfied with UCDSU

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

(2) They should disaffiliate from USI
    Fair 'nuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

No zane there is no one else who has missed executive council thats running in elections,that would be Orla,Dan and Dave that have missed executive council meeting as much as Michelle.
    As I said before she is a lovely girl,I never said she wasnt but it takes more than being 'lovely' to be a good welfare officer.I will admit that at personal cases she will probably be much better than Barry.But She hasnt the experience or knowledge to stand in front of Hugh Brady,Nolan and demand better lighting,to demand free cervical smears for us girls in the health service,to demand at least one cognitival behavioural psychologist for us stdents.This is where I think Barry will have the knowledge and will to do this.
    I appreciate that im in a delicate position in regards to welfare this year as I was a nominated candidate,The fact that I want to be heavily involved in welfae next year means that I want the best person to be elected for welfare.If Michelle wins I will be happy to help her but I just think that Barry is the best for the job.The only person who will loose by me saying this openly is me as it will be embarrassing to work beside michelle next year I suppose.The only people who win from my inside knowlede of the candidates is you,the students of UCD.

Pro-choice is not the same as non -directive counselling.Pro choice means the union wants abortion to become legal in Irealnd.The union have never had a referendum on this so can not speak for the students on wanting abortion to be legalised.

Michele thinks it is not legal to give out information on abortion in Ireland and that the only information available to those is avaibale on the 'internet'.

For a perspective welafre canddidte to say information is available only on the internet is dangerous and shows a sheer lack of knowledge.Information on abortion is of course available legally from the Irish Fanily planning association.I hope no one seeking an abortion would look up information on the internet as Michelle suggested and would seek advivce from the IFPA first.Looking up mediacl information on the internet is extremely dangerous and should not be encourages as was done by Michelle in her observer interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

panda100 wrote:
    But She hasnt the experience or knowledge to stand in front of Hugh Brady,Nolan and demand better lighting,to demand free cervical smears for us girls in the health service,to demand at least one cognitival behavioural psychologist for us stdents.

When the National Cervical Screening Programme rolls out, it's going to cover 25-60 year olds (recommened guidelines). Why are people talking about introducing one in UCD when the vast majority of people are outside those age groups and eligible for the screening?
    panda100 wrote:
    Michele thinks it is not legal to give out information on abortion in Ireland and that the only information available to those is avaibale on the 'internet'.I hope no one seeking an abortion would look up information on the internet as Michelle suggested and would seek advivce from the IFPA first.Looking up mediacl information on the internet is extremely dangerous and should not be encourages as was done by Michelle in her observer interview.

Can't argue with that, it's incredible what gets written by some people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 VenusInFurs

(1) No I am not satisified with USDSU
    Despite the post-feminist myth that women’s liberation has arrived, about 10,000 Irish women travel to England to terminate unwanted pregnancies every year. It is striking to note that although abortion in Ireland doesn't exist more Irish women have abortions per head of population than Dutch or Danish women. Common sense suggests that most of these women are in their late teens and early twenties. When you walk down the concourse, chances are that you have walked by someone who has had an abortion.

Choosing to have an abortion is a very difficult and emotional decision for a woman to make. If anyone reading this is in a crisis pregnancy situation, you should consider all the options available to you - parenting, adoption and abortion. Holding Pro-Choice convictions does not mean advocating that women experiencing unplanned pregnancies should have abortions, as some on these boards imply. Pro-Choice activists are simply providing information that can help ease the stress and emotional strain the Irish government inflicts on Irish women by not making information easily available.

Shame on those who trivialise this issue by using it for political point scoring. For everyone's information, the UCDSU held a referendum in January 1993 which stated that the UCDSU shall provide non-directive counselling and information on all pregnancy options, including abortion, both verbally and in union publications. The motion was overwhelmingly passed, meaning the UCDSU is obliged to inform a pregnant woman of all the options available to her: keeping the baby herself, adoption, or having an abortion. I think this is pretty clear, don't you?

If you, a friend or family member is in a crisis pregnancy situation the following agencies can offer you advice and counselling:

Irish Family Planning Association (IFPA)
    Centres located in Cork, Dublin, Galway and Limerick.
    Phone: 1850 495051

Dublin Well Woman Clinic
    Phone: 01 8728051 (Lower Liffey Street)
    Phone: 01 6609860 (Ballsbridge)
    Phone: 01 8484511 (Coolock)

British Pregnancy Advisory Service (BPAS)
    To contact the BPAS action line from Ireland phone +44 121 450 7700.
    This action line is available, Monday to Friday from 8am to 9pm, Saturday - 8.30 am to 6pm and on Sunday - 9.30am to 2.30pm.
    Or visit their website at http://www.bpas.org

Marie Stopes International
    To contact Marie Stopes from Ireland phone +44 (0) 845 300 8090
    Or visit their website at http://www.mariestopesorg.uk

Regards,
    Darren Cogavin

Yes,Darren students voted on no-directive counselling.If michelle wants a pro-chioce union though,she will have to hold another referendum next year.Something I think which would be welcomed by many students in UCD but until there is a referendum the union does not hold a pro-choice sevice.
    Also just to clarify my earlier points,michelle has informed me that she was grossly misquoted by the paper.Somthing I find difficult to believe as the editors of the observer are very fair and wouldnt do something like that.Michelle doesnt believe that the internt is good for medical information and thought that pro-choice and non directive were the same thing,So just to clarify that for her.

• Advertisement

Non-directive and Pro-choice are the exact same thing. It's really not that difficult to comprehend. Both support the dissemination of information on all options available to a woman dealing with a crisis pregnancy- including abortion. I'm in danger of getting permanent scar tissue from repeatedly banging my head against the wall when it comes to discussing these issues with you.

Non-directive and Pro-choice are the exact same thing. It's really not that difficult to comprehend. Both support the dissemination of information on all options available to a woman dealing with a crisis pregnancy- including abortion. I'm in danger of getting permanent scar tissue from repeatedly banging my head against the wall when it comes to discussing these issues with you.

Well dont discuss issues anymore with me!thats grand by me,darren!:rolleyes:

Anywho on this topic I'm planning on doing a survey to see if outside our cosy little boards forum what the gneral students think of the su!
    These are the questions I'm thinking of asking.If theres anymore you can think of let me know!

Can you name the 5 sabbatical officers?
    Can u name your classs rep?
    Does you class rep represnt you well,with night outs and keeping u informed of student council motions etc
    Do you think the student union places to much time and effort on 'non student' issues i.e paying up to 500 euro for an anti deportation protestor's court fee's?
    Are you actively involved in the union?
    Would you like to be actively involved in the union?

This will sort the issue out once and for all.Maybe we will all be shocked by the results!Any other questions write them here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

panda100 wrote:
    Do you think the student union places to much time and effort on 'non student' issues i.e paying up to 500 euro for an anti deportation protestor's court fee's?

A biased question will give a biased answer.

ok will leave out the ie bit

Good girl yourself L'il Lisa! Make sure now to commission the Economic and Social Research Institute to conduct the survey and provide comprehensive answers.

10 quid plus dinner (on you, naturally) says you have no chance of producing a credible survey covering a representational cross section of UCD's populace. I think a sample size of 1,000 people should suffice. You game!?

• Advertisement

Good girl yourself L'il Lisa! Make sure now to commission the Economic and Social Research Institute to conduct the survey and provide comprehensive answers.

10 quid plus dinner (on you, naturally) says you have no chance of producing a credible survey covering a representational cross section of UCD's populace. I think a sample size of 1,000 people should suffice. You game!?

well we might as well make this intresting,

If by the end of March I have not produced a credible survey of a large cross section of the student body then you will have to do a dare of my choosing

Oh I'm looking forward to surveying your class venusinfurs!will you take down your signature picture-its scary!

A dare of you're choosing!? Ooooh, how mysterious!

Put out your palm and we'll spit on it. Done and done.

You're going to have to develop a set of specific research questions, then identify and describe the kinds of variables you have selected for your data analysis as well as having to painstakingly collect the data. And all before the end of March? Good luck to ya! I might as well book a reservation now. You like Indian?

PS: No deal on taking down the signature picture, such is my reverance for the finest exponent of minimal techno. Hail Richie Hawtin!

A dare of you're choosing!? Ooooh, how mysterious!

Put out your palm and we'll spit on it. Done and done.

You're going to have to develop a set of specific research questions, then identify and describe the kinds of variables you have selected for your data analysis as well as having to painstakingly collect the data. And all before the end of March? Good luck to ya! I might as well book a reservation now. You like Indian?

ok-thats a deal then.Believe me,after what you showed Michelle there is no way I am loosing this dare.:cool:

on a completly unrelated note,anyone know anything about doing surveys,pleases pm me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

I think a sample size of 1,000 people should suffice. You game!?
    A sample size of 1,000 is often used in national political surveys and would probably be excessive for UCD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

100, taken in the proportion from each faculty/school/college/whatever-the-fcuk-they're-called-now, should suffice for a population of 20,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

(2) They should not disaffiliate from USI
    panda100 wrote:
    ok-thats a deal then.Believe me,after what you showed Michelle there is no way I am loosing this dare.:cool:

on a completly unrelated note,anyone know anything about doing surveys,pleases pm me.

*gets out Stats book*

100 is MORE than enough for UCD.

Sangre wrote:
    100 is MORE than enough for UCD.
    Yeah, but we don't want to face accusations that the survey wasn't extensive enough would we?

It's a nice round #. It'll do.

Oh no no dont worry it will be the number suggested by venusinfurs-1000
    Im not gonna lose out to him on technicalities!

Any question suggestion?

panda100 wrote:
    Oh no no dont worry it will be the number suggested by venusinfurs-1000
    Im not gonna lose out to him on technicalities!

Any question suggestion?
    You'll never get 1,000 to take part. That's just silly futility.

I mean jesus that'd be 1/20th of the whole campus.

Not gonna happen.

• Advertisement

Accepting/suggesting 1,000 as the number to use shows a fundamental lack of knowledge with regard to sample sizes.
    100 is enough.

SebtheBum wrote:
    You'll never get 1,000 to take part. That's just silly futility.

I mean jesus that'd be 1/20th of the whole campus.

Not gonna happen.

I got 200signatures for my nomination form in 3hours.
    1000 people to take part in a survey over a month will be fine.
    It just means getting class timetables-getting about 50/40 from each class to fill in the survey.I want this to be extensive so it will include evening,postgrads etc.I think a survey of this calibre will finally answer a lot of questions about the su.I remember the tribune did one not so long ago and 66% of people couldnt name Fergal Scully,the then president.Considering there are 20000 students in UCD 1,000 will be enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

Membership of the Union: 21,626.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

panda100 wrote:
    I got 200signatures for my nomination form in 3hours.
    1000 people to take part in a survey over a month will be fine.
    It just means getting class timetables-getting about 50/40 from each class to fill in the survey.I want this to be extensive so it will include evening,postgrads etc.I think a survey of this calibre will finally answer a lot of questions about the su.I remember the tribune did one not so long ago and 66% of people couldnt name Fergal Scully,the then president.Considering there are 20000 students in UCD 1,000 will be enough.
    First off you need to know the break down of the population.
    How many students in each college (or school if that’s how precise venus needs, but college would be fine and course would be far to anal)
    The gender divide within the colleges.
    The number of students in each year.

This info should be available from the admin building.
    So the first page of the questionnaire would be
    College

Second you need to decide the style of the questionnaire. Id definitely run it by Darren to be sure he wont object to the partiality of it.
    What I would do is have a brief paragraph, 3 lines for (written by someone for the union, not you obviously - maybe Darren) and 3 against the union as an introduction.
    Then one question, are you satisfied with the union; rate you’re satisfaction between 1 and 5. It’s the easiest and quickest way to do it if you want to win this bet.
    I wouldn’t do a yes or no option.

If you want to ask other questions and tally the results later for your own benefit, coola boola but just saying the above would have an answer in time to win the bet and you're format of how well you know the sabbats etc is totally lacking objectivity and hard to anylise.

You should definitely formalize the rules of this bet with Darren.

Then basic controls to insure impartiality.
    All questionnaires should be preprinted, numbered and initialed by Darren. Very important - shows no questionaires were discarded.
    An impartial observer should accompany you to ensure you don’t say anything to the sample than would bias the result. Ie if you follow my suggested format, there is an agreed, balanced intro. After that neither side can say anything.
    The person taken the survey make some sort of mark, sign the word "University" in their own handwriting, to show that a different person took each questionnaire.

btw, my idea of a mini census was to see how representive boards is and was done really because of this thread

sebthebum wrote:
    100, taken in the proportion from each faculty/school/college/whatever-the-fcuk-they're-called-now, should suffice for a population of 20,000.
    Sangre wrote:
    Accepting/suggesting 1,000 as the number to use shows a fundamental lack of knowledge with regard to sample sizes.
    100 is enough.
    There are 35 schools.
    not all are the same size
    all have more than one year
    all have more than one gender

I dont believe it fair to assume that opinions are unaffected by age, gender or field of study, so 100 would not be an accurate or representative survey

Dint worry kaptaninredeye i'm not gonna do anything dodgy!
    I really want myself to see a impartial survey,so thats why I think it's good I'm doing it and not somone overtly involved with the union.Id be glad to see the union getting an overwhelming satisfactory response.

I will email the survey to mrcogavin before I release it-am just writing it up in the terrace as we speak!
    Then heading home to Limerick for some well earned home made grub!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 plumlover

FirstLy USI are crap, and only prevent you going in the direction your college SU want you to.

Secondly I attended UCD last year btw sept-nov and didnt know that they even had an SU...so I think that answers the original question!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Thats a really old poll so my vote changes to satisfied.

And request that its deleted or put on private or somthing

• Advertisement

FFS can we get a lock please

oldposts.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement