Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Never paying VRT

Options
  • 10-02-2006 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭

Not too sure of the practicalities of this but thought i'd throw it out there anyway.

With an address in the North what would happen if i buy a car up there, tax and insure it up there and then drive it down here?

What if i don't actually live down here but instead commute down each day from just across the border?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Residency for taxation purposes is defined as being in the country at 12 midnight for a defined number of days. I think there are also some clauses regarding time periods outside the state. An address up north does not confer residency on one if you know what I mean. Living up north on the other hand does.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Bluehair wrote:
    Not too sure of the practicalities of this but thought i'd throw it out there anyway.

With an address in the North what would happen if i buy a car up there, tax and insure it up there and then drive it down here?

What if i don't actually live down here but instead commute down each day from just across the border?

If you live in the north there's nothing wrong with that idea.

If you get caught, you may loose your car. They (Revenue) will look for a N.I. driving license/evidence of address/business, and bank accounts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

You might get away with it.... for a while. But in the long run, it's very unlikely.

If you are really living down here and you have a UK reg car parked outside the door for a considerable amount of time, eventually the cops or the revenue will come knocking.

Now, I know some gombeen will come on here with a story about how he had a UK reg car in the driveway for 15 years an no-one ever said a word to him... blah...blah...blah..... Yes you could be lucky and get away with it, but you would definately be the exception.

The laws around VRT are pretty water tight at this stage. They want their pound of flesh and by jobe....they'll get it out of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Theres nothing wrong with that.

You have a northern address a northern car a northern tax and insurance, you use the vehicle to commute to work grand.

Q: Have you got a GB License, if you get pulled and produce an Irish License your fcuk!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

BnA wrote:
    Now, I know some gombeen will come on here with a story about how he had a UK reg car in the driveway for 15 years an no-one ever said a word to him... blah...blah...blah..... Yes you could be lucky and get away with it, but you would definately be the exception.

Well actually now that you have said that, this is true.

This gentleman obvious lives near the border as i do and i tell you now theres the number of irish residents driving Ni regs as there is driving Irish Regs.

I know lots of ppl that have NI reg cars living in Dundalk. Drive up and drive around and spot the NI reg cars sitting outside houses in estates etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

kluivert wrote:

Q: Have you got a GB License, if you get pulled and produce an Irish License your fcuk!

that is not quite true, the missus was living in the UK and quite regularly took her car over here (yellow plates) with an irish license. Was stopped at checkpoints on a few occasions and just explained that she was home visiting .. which was the truth.

On the note of getting caught, all it takes is one disgruntled neighbour to make one phone call.

It is very difficult to exploit any loophole in the leglislation. AFAIK the onus is on you to proove that you live up north, not on them to proove that you live in the south.

Advertisement