Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

93 astra dead!

Options
  • 10-02-2006 3:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭

Ok i have a 93 astra 1.4GL.

I drove to work in it yesterday and only noticed i was pretty much out of petrol on entering the car park, but all was good.

When i went to start the car again later in the day to get petrol, nothing.

Absolutely dead, not a light or a stir. It's like i'm not even turning the key.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Left the lights on?

= empty battery, will need jump start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Bartonprince

peasant wrote:
    Left the lights on?

= empty battery, will need jump start.

No it's not even making the ignition sound or anything, nothing at all is happening.

We tried jumper cables and the cables melted. Stil nothing.

What now?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

We tried jumper cables and the cables melted

That should never happen. Are you sure they were connected correctly?

the fella said they were. You mean they may have been on backwards? There was sparks coming from them and they heated up pretty bad before melting.

Maybe they were on the wrong ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

If you connected them the wrong way then you ghet plenty of sparks and if you left them attached you would damage something, most likely on the car with the charged battery !

Black to black and red to red, and in case these arent clearly marked earth/neg "-" to earth/neg "-" and Pos "+" to Pos "+" !

Now if you turn the key and get nothing even when correctly connected you have some othet problem. Check to see if the headlights shine brightly. If they do and you still dont get dash lights or even a click then its most likely the ignitions switch, ex-stock at most dealers for about €20 quid !

• Advertisement

ok nothing comes on. the dash lighs don't come on, neither do the headlights.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Doolittle51

You might wanna check your fuses.....

Cool ok , i'll have a look.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

The cables melted! Sounds like you had them on the wrong way or something.

Buy a new battery see if that works.

Make sure the connections to the battery are not covered in a white dusty powder over the connections.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

No it's not even making the ignition sound or anything, nothing at all is happening.

We tried jumper cables and the cables melted. Stil nothing.

What now?

Something similar happed to me years ago,the battery leads in the car started to smoke.Turned out the starter was fcuked.(IIRC the starter solenoid stuck on/operated)

Had to get it rewound.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Doolittle51

Any result yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

Sounds like the starter solenoid has jammed on, right 'nuff. You should still get red lights on the dash though - does your radio work in the ACC position ? Just trying to determine if your electrics are *completely* shot, or just on the "start" position.

If the solenoid is jammed, give it a crack with a hammer - your Astra wants to be an MGBGT or something :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Cheap / low quality jump leads can cause problems like you described. They can overheat / melt.
    :):)

Might be just the Jump leads

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

My mom's car died a few wks ago, 02 Xsara, it didn't even peep for about 5 mins after we connected the jump leads. It can take ages and you need to put power through the alternator of the good car by revving it to ensure you don't kill it too

Advertisement