Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

more than 2,000 gardai driving on provisional licences

Options
  • 10-02-2006 4:15pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭

was in todays Independant, of these 17 are in the traffic corps,

I think that rubbishes the general idea of most gardai getting "advanced" driving courses IMHO

I also think the government may want to solve that little problem before "tackling" the issue of provisional drivers on the road as it smacks ALOT of hypocrisy

UPDATE: turns out this article in the indo is a result of half assed journalism and ain't strictly true

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Surely you (or the Indo) jest ???

That simply cannot be true !

Ahh ...I forgot ...this is Ireland we're talking about...:D :D:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

alas i tell a lie, it's actually 2,013 gardai

but it OK for them to do it once they have the permission of the superintendant, hellooo???? pot calling kettle???

So now the argument can be if gardai on provisional licenses are permitted to speed quite excessivley in built up areas why do ordinary provisional license holders have to be accompanied by a fully licensed driver???

that kinda puts paid to AT LEAST 2 of the new penalty points offences brought in

• Moderators Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭Spocker

I think you'll find that's a little incorrect. The same article is in the Times and the headline is "More than 2,000 Garda drivers on road without basic training".

The nib of the article is that they all have full licences, but have not been on the advanced drivers course. They are allowed to drive offical vehicles on a "chiefs permission" - the requirement is that they have a full licence.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

ah so the indo got it wrong so

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

miju wrote:
    ah so the indo got it wrong so
    Wow, there's a surprise

</sarcasm>

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Exactly so its mearly bad practice not catastrophic!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

I've really got to find new toilet paper for the budgie!! (see my previous rant about the Indo) :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

imagine that. ****in journalists putting a good story before the facts. :rolleyes:

go on OP name and shame - who got the byline for that particular classic ?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The gardai are given a licence at some stage during their training and don't need to sit the same test as us riff raff civilians

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

It's the advanced driving and pursuit drving course the the Gaurds don't have. They can do over 700 a year at the training centre.
    So all the Gaurds, mainly in Dublin, aren't trained for high speed driving or pursuit driving.

Which may explian why most of the time they drive with a phone to their ear

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

kbannon wrote:
    The gardai are given a licence at some stage during their training and don't need to sit the same test as us riff raff civilians

and they get better insurance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

I'd say a moderator should lock this thread and put the last post saying that the indo article is rubbish, because before long we'll have the people coming in who read the first post and not the rest saying how appalling it is, etc. And then they'll go and tell their friends and family about it, even though it's untrue.

God, I hate the indo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

God, I hate the Gardai :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭rondeco

kbannon wrote:

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Horsesh1t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

rondeco wrote:

Horsesh1t.

Seconded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

The licencing system is such a fcking joke anyway that it really doesn't matter.

What the hell does having a full licence do for your driving? You don't hit curbs on a 3 point turn?

Boll*x.

rondeco wrote:

Horsesh1t.
    Big Balls wrote:
    Seconded.
    I checked it out and I was indeed incorrect. However, I do recall reading it somewhere in the last while - maybe it was in the Indo!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The system still is bad :mad:

No garda should drive on the chief-super's permission. All Gardai should have completed an advanced driving course

Worst by far is the safety of garda cars. The Gardai buy the cars cheaply, wihout VAR or VRT. The cars should be serviced to the standard of the manufacturer

When I contacted them about the above I was tolda that the gardai recieve no basic training at all, never mind advanced training!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

kbannon wrote:
    When I contacted them about the above I was tolda that the gardai recieve no basic training at all, never mind advanced training!

This would explain the female Garda who nearly run me over this morning while making an illegal right turn into Herbert Place...:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Gardai driving under 'Chiefs Permission' are risking their own civillian driving license for any mistakes they may make. To be honest, the only way to bring about a change in the situation is for them to refuse to do driving duties until they get the proper training. Those who've completed the garda driver training will not have any offences they may commit during the course of duty recorded against their civillian driving license.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Boggle

Those who've completed the garda driver training will not have any offences they may commit during the course of duty recorded against their civillian driving license.
    So your saynig they're unaccountable for their actions with one of these licenses? Is that a good thing...??

Boggle wrote:
    So your saynig they're unaccountable for their actions with one of these licenses? Is that a good thing...??

Be realistic - they not really accountable anyhow!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Boggle wrote:

They're not unaccountable, they're professionally accountable for all of their actions, but their civillian driving record is not affected by incidents occurring during the course of their duty. If someone is expected to perform high speed persuits, which by their very nature are more likely to result in collisions even if they have had advanced driving training, as part of their job, it would be somewhat unfair to penalise their civillian driving record, which never includes high speed persuits, for incidents occuring during those persuits.

Advertisement