Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed Camera Locations

Options
  • 10-02-2006 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Does anyone have a list of fixed speed camera locations? Saw urls for a site with this info, but it seems to be down now..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

I know of 1 on the m50 before the exit to the airport.its marked on the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 signs

Some Dublin Based Cameras.

Overhead digital cameras on locations below:

N7 Naas Road, after CityWest Hotel, southbound.
    Opposite side at Seat/Saab Ireland etc northbound/City Centre. Both set at 62Mph/100Kmph, covering 2/3 lanes respectively.

N7 Naas Road, outside Bill Griffin Motors/old Statiol garage Naas Road, (Kylemore End), south bound.
    Opposite side outside Mitsubishi Ireland/Irish Farm Centre, Northbound/City Centre. Both set at 31Mph/50Kmph, covering 3 lanes.

Lucan N4 Just after the signage for 50Mph/80Kmph, just before the fixed Gatso camera northbound/City Centre.
    Opposite side westbound/Leixlip direction, both set at 50Mph/80Kmph, covering 2 lanes.

Terenure Village heading for Tallaght Bypass/Spawell Roundabout, just outside village, both sides set at 31Mph/50Kmph, covering 2 lanes.

Fixed Gatso Cameras:

Fixed Gatso camera on M50, just at end of northbound lanes, approaching the M1, also on otherside between Ballymun/Finglas, obviously both fixed at 75Mph/125Kmph.

N4 Lucan as above on northbound/City Centre lanes.

N4 approaching Heuston Station at two positions, (1) just before Kilmainham/Island Bridge crossroads (2) in centre of road, alongside Heuston railway sidings. Both set at 31Mph/50Kmph.

Santry, at end of M1/N1 at Port Tunnel, roadworks, possibly on both sides. Set at 31Mph/50kmph.

N11 Stillorgan Road, outside RTÉ, on northbound lanes, set at 38Mph/60Kmph.

White/green Ford Transit vans:

Positioned occationally at:

N4 westbound lanes at Liffey Valley.
    Naas Road outside Coca-Cola on grass at side of road, northbound/City Centre.

Please note that these overhead cameras do work, they have a direct feed system, were you will get points/fines within weeks of getting caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

The overhead digital cameras at Lucan- are they the ones that look like CCTV cameras on poles? Iv passed these going slightly above 80kmph but nothing happened.

Are they not something to do with measuring traffic flow or something like that?

kc66 wrote:
    The overhead digital cameras at Lucan- are they the ones that look like CCTV cameras on poles? Iv passed these going slightly above 80kmph but nothing happened.

Are they not something to do with measuring traffic flow or something like that?

Thats what I thought, until two guys from work got caught.

Person 1 got caught twice at the Bill Griffin/Naas Road cameras.
    Person 2 got caught once at the Lucan one, and at Citywest once.

The reason why you don't see anything is that they work digitally, and supposedly there are multiple points on the road were the cameras pick up the speed.

You get sent two penalty points, a fine of €80 and a cropped photo of the reg area of your car per offence. This has been verified by family members of An Garda, at GHQ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Puff Puff Pass

Ye, The Naas Rd is a real money maker for them - seems to be where most people get done.

There's a fixed Gatso on the southbound lanes of the M1 a couple of km's before the Boyne Cable Bridge

• Advertisement

guys has anyone got caught at the rte camera on the n11 as i am always over the speed limit there and never even caught and have passed there alot over the years.what are you experiences

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

drdre wrote:
    guys has anyone got caught at the rte camera on the n11 as i am always over the speed limit there and never even caught and have passed there alot over the years.what are you experiences

Thats a bus lane enforcemnt camera afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

signs wrote:
    Overhead digital cameras on locations below:

N7 Naas Road, after CityWest Hotel, southbound.
    Opposite side at Seat/Saab Ireland etc northbound/City Centre. Both set at 62Mph/100Kmph, covering 2/3 lanes respectively.

N7 Naas Road, outside Bill Griffin Motors/old Statiol garage Naas Road, (Kylemore End), south bound.
    Opposite side outside Mitsubishi Ireland/Irish Farm Centre, Northbound/City Centre. Both set at 31Mph/50Kmph, covering 3 lanes.

Lucan N4 Just after the signage for 50Mph/80Kmph, just before the fixed Gatso camera northbound/City Centre.
    Opposite side westbound/Leixlip direction, both set at 50Mph/80Kmph, covering 2 lanes.

Terenure Village heading for Tallaght Bypass/Spawell Roundabout, just outside village, both sides set at 31Mph/50Kmph, covering 2 lanes.

These are not speed cameras. They are cameras for measuring traffic flow and times along the N7. There used to be another set further towards Naas, but these are gone now, seeing as the road is all over the place out there. They are used for generating the times on the Digital Signs that used to be on the N7 - i.e. M50 5-8 minutes etc...

They were also put online on http://www.n7.ie/ etc

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

There's a fixed Gatso on the southbound lanes of the M1 a couple of km's before the Boyne Cable Bridge

I am not sure that this has worked in a long time but enough time to see the lines on the road and slow down.

Onkle51Quote:
    Originally Posted by drdre

does that mean it will only catch people using bus lane

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭69 mustang

testicle wrote:
    These are not speed cameras. They are cameras for measuring traffic flow and times along the N7. There used to be another set further towards Naas, but these are gone now, seeing as the road is all over the place out there. They are used for generating the times on the Digital Signs that used to be on the N7 - i.e. M50 5-8 minutes etc...

Thats what I thought too.

testicle wrote:

I have seen the issued fine/point notices, first hand and all the photos have come from these locations.

There is a speed camera (the ones at the side) only 100 metres from these overhead cameras at Lucan. Would that be where people are getting caught? I have been driving past the overhead ones nearly every day since last August and cant guarantee I was always under the speed limit. Haven't heard anything. Could amount to a big fine but I doubt it somehow.

I don't want to keep going on about this camera issue, but the camera placements on the website http://www.n7.ie are not the ones i've mentioned. The ones in the website are the high ones ie CCTV cameras for traffic management, the ones on the locations mentioned are different. These cameras are low and too low for managing traffic. The type of speed they were caught at was 70+ and 80+ kmph on Naas Road in 50kmph zones, and approx 120kmph in Lucan inbound one.

PS - Don't shoot the messanger, as I originally only posted trying to be helpful.

Not shooting the messenger. Just clarifying which cameras do what for my own information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

There are two fixed cameras north of Swords on the N1 (within 2 km of each other) but they don't seem to have been operational for some time:

Blakes Cross (southbound) just north of the junction.

Lissenhall (southbound) between Statoil station and junction with the M1.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Onkle51 wrote:
    drdre wrote:
    Originally Posted by drdre

It's a red light camera as is the one at Islandbridge inbound on the N4.

There is one near fairyhouse cross on the Dunshaughlin side, heading east.
    Another on the same road between Dunshaughlin and Navan (closer to Dunshaughlin) heading towards Navan.
    Another on the same road near Garlow cross heading towards to Dublin (this one was burnt down so not sure if has been fixed).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭69 mustang

signs wrote:
    I don't want to keep going on about this camera issue, but the camera placements on the website http://www.n7.ie are not the ones i've mentioned. The ones in the website are the high ones ie CCTV cameras for traffic management, the ones on the locations mentioned are different. These cameras are low and too low for managing traffic. The type of speed they were caught at was 70+ and 80+ kmph on Naas Road in 50kmph zones, and approx 120kmph in Lucan inbound one.

PS - Don't shoot the messanger, as I originally only posted trying to be helpful.

They spoke of those over head cameras on the traffic station and they said they count cars to see how long it takes to get from one to another so maybe on average the speed from town to Lucan was above norm and they used the info for that.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Automan

69 mustang wrote:
    They spoke of those over head cameras on the traffic station and they said they count cars to see how long it takes to get from one to another so maybe on average the speed from town to Lucan was above norm and they used the info for that.:)

Sounds like it is doing what this system is doing:

http://www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk/specs.htm

But with different cameras.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

signs wrote:
    Thats what I thought, until two guys from work got caught.

Naas Road cameras.
    and at Citywest once.

The reason why you don't see anything is that they work digitally, and supposedly there are multiple points on the road were the cameras pick up the speed.

Were exactly are the cameras placed do you know?

Isnt there normally line markings on the road that the camera used to judge the speed over the distance covered?ive never noticed them at either of these stretchs of road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

http://www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk/specs.htm

They judge your speed over a distance of up to 0.5 mile. So no road marking. They simply measure the amount of time it takes you to travel between the 2 fixed points which is a known distance. From this the average speed is calculated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

Actually just reading over that does that mean that the signs that hsow your speed on the longmile road beside drimnagh castle would have the capability to do you for speeding if you were over the limit?

eireal wrote:
    Actually just reading over that does that mean that the signs that hsow your speed on the longmile road beside drimnagh castle would have the capability to do you for speeding if you were over the limit?

Probably not, as the Garda are always on that stretch (both sides) with their speed guns. Also the signs in question don't be working half the time.

Advertisement