Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Power steering problem

Options
  • 10-02-2006 6:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭

Hi lads,

I drive a 2001 punto elx.

When I was reversing out of my drive today the steering felt very heavy, and it was a struggle to move the wheel. I noticed the red steering light had come on on the dash. I pulled back into the drive and switched off the ignition. About 10 seconds or so later I restarted it and it was grand, no problems since.

Anyone have any ideas as to what might have happened and if I should bring it back to the garage? (I have 12 months warranty).

Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

this happens if you turn the wheel (even slightly) as you start the car.

The Punto has electric power steering, if there is any movement on the wheel as the ignition is started, it cuts the power to the power steering motor and the steering is really heavy. the solution is to switch the car off and then re-start

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭CrimE

Ok cheers for that.

Can you tell its my first car? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

happened to me, punto was my first car too!

Advertisement