Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Traffic and public transport in Dublin

• 10-02-2006 6:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭

had a couple of thoughts, have a go at shooting these down folks......

it seems to me that Dublin Bus services mostly terminate in the city centre...If the routes were all paired up to create cross city routes, wouldnt there be nearly twice as many stops in the city centre ( ie coming in and going back out again) and therefore many more journey opportunities, (as well as actual suburb to suburb journey possibilities...).

If all the conflicting movements on the north and south quays were removed by making all the roads on to them left turn only and the intermediate bridges shut (thus creating a giant roundabout...) would this perchance help the traffic flow? (it seems to me it is conflicts and blocked yellow boxes that cause a lot of problems....and traffic lights , but these would need to stay in some form to allow pedestrians across....)

Probably totally impractical I guess on both counts.....too simple probably....:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭stag39

i think what ur trying to say is this...

what would ease travelling on the buses is to leave most of the routes heading into the city and to have other ones going in a circle around the city at different distances say at 1 km gap between the circular routes...;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

stag39 wrote:
    i think what ur trying to say is this...

what would ease travelling on the buses is to leave most of the routes heading into the city and to have other ones going in a circle around the city at different distances say at 1 km gap between the circular routes...;)
    did i mean to say that? well i never!.....:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DerekP11

In my opinion.

Corktina is heading in the right direction with his thinking. The whole concept of terminating buses in the city centre is outdated. I think DB are about to propose an overhaul of this as its high on their agenda. But they will obviously need more buses to provide through running and maintain current or improved schedules. I believe they'll have a plan ready for the minister in the near future. It was this "lack of a plan" that cullen referred to in the aftermath of Transport21, hence the lack of DB material in the plan. It should change and its one of the changes that can happen quickly.

As regards road traffic...as a seasoned driver around Dublin city centre and aprat from the obvious rail projects needed, the Pearse street fiasco must be addressed asap. Funnelling cross city traffic down one street between Georges st and the east link, is pure madness. The DTO and city council should make better use of their crayons. Macken st bridge (if ever) would help, but I feel that a serious traffic flow analysis and retrospect look should be applied to decisions taken a few years ago

Like me Corktina, I bet you prefer the open roads and laneways, where it takes people years to discover the rat run, rather than weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Andrew Duffy

The most ridiculous aspect of Pearse St. is that buses have to fight with each other, taxis, bikes, motorcycles and law-breakers in the one-and-a-half lanes going straight ahead, and the vast amount of traffic turning to Tara St., while there is a full three lanes' worth of space used for the parking of private cars owned by the staff of Pearse St. Garda station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

yes i like rat runs, but most of them are limited to 3 tons, so I have to be careful in a 7 1/2 tonner.....:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭SickCert

it seems to me that Dublin Bus services mostly terminate in the city centre...If the routes were all paired up to create cross city routes

I remember some years ago timing a possible merger with the 14's and 20b's.
    The complete running time in total was 2hr 30mins plus in the crush hour. Something needs to be done but what i dont know.
    If any more buses go up O'connel then the street is going to just stop and cease moving. That area is bused to the limit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

I know this is a bit off topic but does anyone happen to know when the Maken St bridge is meant to be built/finished?

Advertisement