Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to find the spelling for an Irish phrase which means something like "wet-black

Options
  • 10-02-2006 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

A friend says he thinks it's "Dubh ur cu o duibhecan", but i was hoping someone could give me a definitive answer? Ring a bell for anyone?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

Wet-black? :confused: Sorry I'm completely lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 kev23f

very sorry, the full sentence was cut off - it should be: omething like "wet-black hounds from the abyss."

I'm still a bit lost TBH. What does wet-black mean? Do you mean jet-black? Or are they wet and black hounds?

If it is 'jet black' it would be 'ciardhubh'.

'Cúanna Ciardhubha ón Duibheagán'

• Registered Users Posts: 38 kev23f

Thanks Gael, i was told "wet and black", but to be honest jet black seems to make more sense as you suggest.

In any case, the phrase was supposed to be an established irish phrase/saying; still not ringing a bell for anyone then?

Thanks.

kev23f wrote:
    Thanks Gael, i was told "wet and black", but to be honest jet black seems to make more sense as you suggest.

In any case, the phrase was supposed to be an established irish phrase/saying; still not ringing a bell for anyone then?

Thanks.

What you wrote looks like Old-Irish from the spelling so I'd suggest checking this site out:

www.sengoidelc.com

If you can't find it there you might e-mail the fella who runs the site. He's knows a lot on the subject.

• Advertisement
Advertisement