Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Poets Are You Doing In Engish?

Options
  • 10-02-2006 7:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭

I'm focusing on -

Longley
    Plath
    Bishop
    Donne

A women poet must come up on the Leaving paper.
    Is this true of false?

I will look over Hardy too just in case.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Aporia wrote:
    A women poet must come up on the Leaving paper.
    Is this true of false?

Not officially no. I also wouldn't put it past the goverment to try to catch people who are being lazy out.

I'm doing:

Bishop
    Plath
    Longley
    Elliot
    Yeats
    GMH

I can see myself doing 4 maybe 5 if I feel really bothered but odds are I won't be.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Lord Oz

Longley, Yeats and Plath is all I've done, and Yeats came up last year :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭abercrombie

Bishop, Longley, Plath, Hardy, Donne, Yeats and i think we're due to start a new poet after the midterm but not too sure who yet!

A female poet has come up every year but it's not a definite thing (even though it may look like that!) my teacher thinks it's so people don't think it's discrimination against females...so hopefully the department of education will keep those people happy again this year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭casanova_kid

we've only done Bishop, Yeats and Longley, we're going way too slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Had my paper1 and 2 today, - longley, bishop, gerard manely hop, and donne.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Bishop, Yeats, Longely and Plath. Did Eliot and Hardy as well, but I'm concentrating on the four

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Muiriosa

We have finished all the serious work on our poets:
    Plath
    Bishop
    Yeats
    Longly
    Hardy

We still have to revise Hardy and Longely but I feel very confident about the poetry in general.

I would tend to believe the theory that a woman will come up. It would almost be seen as sexist if they didn't! Study Plath and Bishop very hard would be my advise!

The same thing goes for Irish poets

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

im just studying Hardy. bishop's handy to study and i did her in 5th year so she's my back up.

Hardy will definately come up, its a waste of time studying anyone else as in like 3+

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

smemon wrote:
    Hardy will definately come up, its a waste of time studying anyone else as in like 3+

I'd be very careful banking on a certain poet to come up. Last year, nearly everything came up as predicted and in general it was a very nice paper, so i'd be expecting a bit of mix up in this years one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭Shelga

Ok, I need to have a big rant...So far in English we've done Hardy, Donne, Longley, a bit of Plath and now we're in the middle of Yeats. But it occured to me yesterday as I sat down the back of the class, reading 'The Wild Swans At Coole'...I simply do not giv a sh*t about this man's poetry. So the swans symbolise his youth- WHO CARES. In general I do not like poetry and in my opinion Yeats is a preachy, sanctimonious git. I'm sure I will now be labelled a philistine or whatever, but I'm just expressing my frustration!! I'm sick to death of reading poems about the passage of time, the transience of time etc. Why doesn't someone ever just put up their hand and say (im not brave enough) "Why the hell are we meant to think these inane ramblings are so important?"

They should put poetry about the hell that is the Leaving Cert on the syllabus, there's something I'd like to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

Shelga wrote:
    Why doesn't someone ever just put up their hand and say (im not brave enough) "Why the hell are we meant to think these inane ramblings are so important?"

people in my class do that.... its not that big a deal if you dont like them.. I don't like the poems on my Irish course, but i get the hell over it - theyre not meant to be "fun". the leaving cert isnt meant to be a laugh y'know..

We're young... we dont understand "the passage of time" as many of these poets felt it.
    Whatever you think about them, remember that something inspired these poets to write these poems, and they wrote them for a reason...

think outside of your narrow-minded self-centred little box, and maybe imagine how other people feel soemtimes.

They should put poetry about the hell that is the Leaving Cert on the syllabus, there's something I'd like to see
    its not that bad for god's sake... stop over-reacting..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 proletarian

Can't imagine the Board of Education being so ironic. On the up side, Yeats' poetry is fairly Junior Cert level stuff - ie- easy to write about. Personally not big into writing about him, not for any particular reason, just don't. Hope this 'a woman has to come up' thing holds true because I've been banking on it, and Plath and Bishop are not difficult to, y'know, talk out your **** about.

If I was the motivated kind, I'd write out sample essays ad stuff about my poets. Unfortunately I'm not and get too easily distracted by drink, TV and sleep. I might fail but at least I'm normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭exiot

Im going to concentrate on Bishop, Plath, Longley and Hardy. Im sure one of those poets will come up, just hope they are good questions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Anto and Moe

I want to do Elliot, but our teacher doesn't like him. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Dagnir Glaurung

I want to do Elliot, but our teacher doesn't like him. :(

Do him yourself then. It's not too difficult, there are loads of notes on the internet for him. We're not doing Hopkins, Eliot or Donne in class but I'm doing them and haven't found them any more difficult than the others. Then again, I do tend to just sleep in class.

Shelga wrote:
    Ok, I need to have a big rant...So far in English we've done Hardy, Donne, Longley, a bit of Plath and now we're in the middle of Yeats. But it occured to me yesterday as I sat down the back of the class, reading 'The Wild Swans At Coole'...I simply do not giv a sh*t about this man's poetry. So the swans symbolise his youth- WHO CARES. In general I do not like poetry and in my opinion Yeats is a preachy, sanctimonious git. I'm sure I will now be labelled a philistine or whatever, but I'm just expressing my frustration!! I'm sick to death of reading poems about the passage of time, the transience of time etc. Why doesn't someone ever just put up their hand and say (im not brave enough) "Why the hell are we meant to think these inane ramblings are so important?"

They should put poetry about the hell that is the Leaving Cert on the syllabus, there's something I'd like to see.

your my new best friend!! dam right there Shelga, thats how it is. a load of waffle from fools that think they're clever. ive a few thoughts on poems:

-all of them should rhyme, all good poems rhyme.
    -all of them should have 1 meaning, not loads.
    -all of them should be 12 lines and 3 verses max.

thats how u rite a good poem. none a this yates rubbish with a million interpretations and 20 3 line stanza's which ryhme every 6.38 lines!! poetry is out of date.

smemon wrote:
    your my new best friend!! dam right there Shelga, thats how it is. a load of waffle from fools that think they're clever. ive a few thoughts on poems:

thats how u rite a good poem. none a this yates rubbish with a million interpretations and 20 3 line stanza's which ryhme every 6.38 lines!! poetry is out of date.

oh lord smemon, if i didnt have a go at you last week, i would be havin it right now...

Seriosuly, with comments like that, you're asking for abuse.... :o

its my opinion on it. don't expect everyone to agree with me. it's blunt, honest and to the point.

i dont see the point of poetry and why we're forced to learn it in the 21st century.

here's a poem i just made up:

the wind quivers beneath the hallowed turf,
    on the ground i see a peanut,
    shaped like a round egg.

such earthly soil clings to the ground,
    a force beneath the withered oak tree,
    the sun's daggers split.

i am old and degenerated,
    feeble and shaken like a lamppost,
    to which my body sticks.

put that in ye're pipe and smoke it.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭:|

smemon wrote:
    its my opinion on it. don't expect everyone to agree with me. it's blunt, honest and to the point.

i dont see the point of poetry and why we're forced to learn it in the 21st century.

shaped like a round egg.

the sun's daggers split.

to which my body sticks.

poetic genius

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭UU

smemon wrote:

shaped like a round egg.

the sun's daggers split.

to which my body sticks.

It doesn't make much sense so I'll stick to Sylvia instead! ;)

I'm doing poetry by Sylvia Plath (who is my favourite poet as she writes about something interesting!), T.S. Eliot (who sucks), Micael Longley (who is ok). We'll be doing Elizabeth Bishop and W.B. Yeats next term.

What annoys me about the LC Higher level English course is that we go through all the trouble of studying around five poets with six poems each and that the prescribed poetry question is only worth a scabby 50 marks and we only answer on one poet! :mad: So unfair!

smemon wrote:

Smenon's quite an idiot
    I swear to god its true
    You needen't take my word for it
    I leave it up to you

He thinks he makes a point at times
    When really he does not
    He thinks his crap is quite inspired
    He thinks it means a lot

He can go to hell for all I care
    That's the meaning of this verse
    And freeze inside the devils lair
    In Cocytus, there's no worse

In the likely chance you don't recognise it, Cocytus is a reference to Dantes Inferno...but that's longer than 12 lines, so you don't recognise its validity, do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Zounds

smemon wrote:

Just when I think I've seen the most ignorant person the internet can produce I'm inevitably proven wrong. Funny, isn't it?

Nice work Raph, btw.

smemon wrote:

shaped like a round egg.

the sun's daggers split.

to which my body sticks.

What? That poem makes no sense.
    shaped like a round egg

That's some weird peanut. Shaped like a round egg? Are you sure?

Wind under the ground?

Earthly soil? What other type do you commonly see?

Why are oak trees in bad poetry always 'withered'? Heck, even calling it an ash would have improved this line.

A lamp post is not feeble or shaken.

It's a pointless poem filled with boring and often senseless imagery that starts nowhere and goes nowhere. What was your point, that great poetry is difficult to write? If so you've certainly proven it.

im just curious smemon - do you see lyricists and songwriters as poets?
    is there no set of song lyrics that ever stand out to you?

cos i often think of music as poetry in motion..

It's a pointless poem filled with boring and often senseless imagery that starts nowhere and goes nowhere.

and thats what i think all the poets & their poems ive studied. im proving it doesnt take a genius to write a poem, any idiot can do it. it doesnt have to rhyme, make sense or have any point. so ive produced a masterpiece which we'll be seeing in a leaving cert book some time in the future.

music has..........music in it. lyrics dont matter so long as the music is good. beethoven, snoop doggy dog for example.

smemon wrote:
    any idiot can do it.
    Well you've proved that, anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Zounds

smemon wrote:
    im proving it doesnt take a genius to write a poem, any idiot can do it. it doesnt have to rhyme, make sense or have any point.

Correct. However, to write a technically proficient (let alone aethestically pleasing or meaningful) poem requires a bit more.
    smemon wrote:
    so ive produced a masterpiece which we'll be seeing in a leaving cert book some time in the future.

No. Just no.

i dont get paid for writing poems, if i did i'd master the 'art'.
    i dont like poetry, maybe you do. big deal, we have different opinions - send me to hell ;)

im not tryna convert people to my thinking, im giving it as i see it. end of.

• Advertisement

smemon wrote:
    im proving it doesnt take a genius to write a poem, any idiot can do it.

No; you're proving that any idiot can't write a poem. I showed exactly why your poem was crap, why not back up your claims that the poetry on the course is crap? You can pontificate about the generalities of why you don't like poems all you like but everyone will think you an idiot for it unless you back your claims up with some specifics.

Advertisement