Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Poets Are You Doing In Engish?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

No; you're proving that any idiot can't write a poem. I showed exactly why your poem was crap, why not back up your claims that the poetry on the course is crap? You can pontificate about the generalities of why you don't like poems all you like but everyone will think you an idiot for it unless you back your claims up with some specifics.

im not going to reduce myself to analysing poetry just to please you! meaningless description, stupid subjects, overuse of thesaurus are all things which spring to my mind when poetry is mentioned.

im not going to go into huge detail on why i dont like poetry or poets, tbh i couldnt be bothered as it's not worth the time. my opinion won't change, as ive said before, im simply expressing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 proletarian

Hahaha, lads, knickers getting in twists over poetry here! Leave the twisting til you get the papers in June and chillax about it until, yeah?

I'm more inclined to believe the people saying they don't like poetry than the ones rhapsodising about it. I like some poetry, and some doesn't work for me. It's like prose, I mean you don't just like 'books' you like genres, you like writers, you don't like them ALL.

And, come on, doing LC poetry is a pill. The overanalysing sucks any pleasure out of it. There's no point in twirling and sighing about how much you love it, we're not the examiners and you're not getting A's from us.

So like I said, chillax! I won't say nothin' if people are honest and just say, it'd be nice to genuinely like poetry, but, in accordance with the honesty, I have to say most of it is a bit take or leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

i see where you're coming from proletarian, but im not raving about poetry here, just for the sake of it...

of course theres people who dislike it.. of course theres people who thinks its "ok" or grand.. or whatever, theyre not fussed either way... but believe it or not, theres is some people who geuinely do love it.....!

its not like i just love the poetry on the LC course, hell no, i read a lot of others too... not trying to impress anyone, or get an A... i just enjoy reading it.

so yeah, each to their own....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 proletarian

Hey, I'm sorry, it's cool if you actually do really like lots of poetry. Its just that usually if the topic of poetry comes up amongst people of my age, which I cna't say it often does, you get your people who overemphasise a certain poetry-hatred because naturally everyone judges people who show remote fondness for anything school-related with contempt (ok, slight sarcasm, but yeah), and then you get the other extreme, who try and make out that they're the newest members of the intelligentsia brigade, and sound like utter pills talking about poetry that you know they have only ever studied in a school setting.

But yes, my point, I shouldn't have judged. Fair dues if you really like the stuff, I'd like to like it but I'd only be kidding myself if I said I did. The medium is not my favourite.

But so as not to digress form the topic, yeah, I'm doing, er, Plath and Bishop, Hardy, Yeats....ah, you get the gist.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭Shelga

The overanalysing sucks any pleasure out of it.

That's my whole point! I think that English classes cause people who love literature to love it even more, and completely turns off those who are only semi-interested in it. What constitutes a good poem anyway?? Maybe I could appreciate poetry a bit more if someone explained to me why it's so damn important. It's the same with Shakespeare- generations of people think he's great because that's what they've been told to think.

Now, enough of my angry ranting at the faults of the education system...where's that chocolate??

• Advertisement

Shelga wrote:
    Now, enough of my angry ranting at the faults of the education system...where's that chocolate??

no, keep the angry ranting going! i like to slam the education system whilst also slamming anyone that defends it.

shakespeare couldnt speak english, he's not great, he's a fool. he's no better than anyone else so stop putting him up on a pedestol along with the poets.

ahhh... it's like shooting those discs as they fly out of that machine thing.

smemon wrote:
    shakespeare couldnt speak english

that smemon, is possibly your finest quote....

Rockerette wrote:
    that smemon, is possibly your finest quote....

he's past his sell by date and lived in the stone age. why we study his ancient language is beyond me as it has no relevence to today's modern english language.

tell me how i benefit from reading shakespeare?? go on. if i spoke like him i'd be labelled gay and a wierdo. i'd be pushed out of society and everyone would point and laugh. so why don't we do it to shakespeare now??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

shakespeare couldnt speak english
    You != shakespeare.

Oh, and what Shakespeare is writing is essentially modern english. Try reading Chaucer if you want some really awkward language, and that's only Middle English.

smemon wrote:
    he's past his sell by date and lived in the stone age. why we study his ancient language is beyond me as it has no relevence to today's modern english language.

tell me how i benefit from reading shakespeare?? go on. if i spoke like him i'd be labelled gay and a wierdo. i'd be pushed out of society and everyone would point and laugh. so why don't we do it to shakespeare now??

thats not my point...

i was merely highlighting your statement of saying how Shakespeare "couldn't speak english" - i said nothing about why you should read him or not... i can understadn if people dont like him..

but he "couldn't speak english"?? - jees smemon, thats like me claiming not to be able to speak english.
    hhmmm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Johnner111

I've got seven poets done. Just T.S Eliot left to do. I plan on studyin every one of them except Yeats because he was up last year. I like all the poets really... I've got a great english teacher so it helps...

Advertisement