Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to calm a cat in heat?

• 10-02-2006 8:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 72 ✭✭

My kitten has just turned cat! She is 7 months old and just gone in to heat for the first time. I have her booked in to the vets to be spayed, but vet says he can't do this until her current heat cycle is over.

Basically, she is driving me mad with the crying and moaning and I need some advice on what I can do to calm her (without sending her out to the Toms of course!!). We are on day 3 now of this. How long should it last for?

Any suggestions for a quieter life? :o

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

We are on day 3 now of this. How long should it last for?
    ~1 week (Every 3 weeks. Get is sorted!)

http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=737861
    :eek: Um........... erm................ erk.
    I'd personally just keep a steady supply of catnip :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 caracal

neuter it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

My vet neutered my 16 week old kitten who went into heat. Other than that - lock her into a room & turn the telly up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 caracal

sorry i did not read the whole post, my bad

OP has to wait another few days..
    I have her booked in to the vets to be spayed, but vet says he can't do this until her current heat cycle is over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 72 ✭✭MrMagoo

Karoma wrote:

http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=737861
    :eek: Um........... erm................ erk.

Emmm...thanks for that, but I think I'd rather drug her or something than start playing with her bits! LOL. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

My vet neutered jasmin when she was in full heat & shes soooooo good now she was done on monday.

MrMagoo wrote:
    Emmm...thanks for that, but I think I'd rather drug her or something than start playing with her bits! LOL. :confused:
    Perhaps you could do both.. ahem. :v:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

if it is really bad I would suggest phoning around a couple of other vets to get her spayed now (plenty of vets will spay a cat when she is in heat) otherwise grin & bear it & keep telling yourself that she'll be spayed soon & you'll never have to go through it again ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭bakedbean

I'm not quite sure why your vet would say to leave her. Unlike dogs a cat tends to carry on cycling (not the two wheeled variety) until she is mated, especially a this time of year. Neutering during a heat is slightly riskier as the blood vessels to the uterus and ovaries are more pronounced but certainly this increased risk is small.

• Advertisement
Advertisement