Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Outrageous ban for Duncan Ferguson

• 10-02-2006 8:29pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Everton striker Duncan Ferguson has been hit with an additional four-game ban and £5,000 fine by The FA.

The fiery Scot had already been given a three-match suspension after being dismissed against Wigan on January 31.

However, Ferguson clashed with Pascal Chimbonda after seeing red at The JJB and was charged by The FA with violent conduct.

The former Newcastle and Rangers man has been found guilty of the charge and will now miss a total of seven games.

Ferguson, who has already served two matches of the ban, could make his Everton return against local rivals Liverpool on March 25.

The 34-year-old was already set to miss this weekend's clash against Blackburn, but will now miss out against Newcastle, West Ham, Fulham and Aston Villa.

http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=362517&CPID=8&clid=&lid=2&title=Ferguson+blow+for+Toffees

This is just crazy. He was initially given a three game ban for his punch but now he has been given another FOUR game ban for a push on Chimbonda as he left the pitch. It was no worse than what Reina did and I seriously doubt he will be given further punishment. I think this is a case of his reputation working against him.

Ridiculous decision by the FA.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

They probably took his past record into account. Duncan Disorderly is a disgrace - he spends more time suspended that he does on the pitch, how Everton are still paying him to sit on his arse after he decks people is belong me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

he got the double ban because the referee said that he would have sent him off a 2nd time for the punch at chimbonda if he had the power to.

therefore the FA treated him as if he'd been sent off twice...fair enough I would have thought. Otherwise what's to stop some other hot head from hitting a player/manager after being sent off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Duncan Disordly

hahahaha

i enjoy a bit of fire in players but big dunc takes it too far on a regular basis. considering he was involved in two incidents its about right imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

he is a bit of disgrace alright. one of the players i really dislike.

question though, i was reading a book and there was mention of someone that broke into ferguson's house when he was in it....anyone know what happened next? :p
    i can guess of course, but details are fun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

You were reading the Darwin Awards, hardly a book ;)

• Advertisement

:d

edit: smiley refuses to work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

eyerer wrote:
    question though, i was reading a book and there was mention of someone that broke into ferguson's house when he was in it....anyone know what happened next? :p
    i can guess of course, but details are fun

It happened twice, believe it or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    It happened twice, believe it or not.

Didnt we see that on an episode of Englands stupidest burglars ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Ferguson goes about channeling his agression in the wrong ways, and sure his reputation went against him. In saying that, I find this absolute proof of soccers inconsistensies with dangerous play.

IMO the type of 'over the ball' tackles that we've seen this season, e.g. Michael Essien, are far more (a) dangerous & career-threatening, and (b) pre-meditated in a way that some player giving another a quick puck when they're mouthing at each other.

There's far too much hand-bagging and mouthing in the Premiership at the moment, and I was pleasantly shocked to see a player this week (possibly Gallas in Chelsea-Everton on Wed) booked because he was trying to persuade the ref to book another player. Great decision, and the sooner the refs and the powers-that-be stamp this and other types of gamesmanship out the better.

tbh theres a lot to be said about how the game is run atm
    i think the FA need a serious kick in the arse to sort this stuff out

diving, getting other booked and essien's infamous challenges that get less punishment than a taking your shirt off to celebrate
    that said the FA never had a pair of balls between them

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

i'd love if trolling got banned in football,
    i'm sure they wouldn't use the word trolling and a bit of banter is somewhat acceptable but saying things to the opposing team that incites a reaction should be as punishable as the other offence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

mayordenis wrote:
    i'm sure they wouldn't use the word trolling and a bit of banter is somewhat acceptable but saying things to the opposing team that incites a reaction should be as punishable as the other offence.

i dont think so.Soccer/sport is just about being physically very good, you need the mental side to back it up.

ANd if you cant take a big off banter/winding up without having to give someone a slap then your only a knacker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

proper order.
    hes a thug, and his actions were a disgrace. and his actions were not similar to reina's.

proper order.
    hes a thug, and his actions were a disgrace. and his actions were not similar to reina's.

IMO any player who is a dirty tackler/serial diver/cheater is far worse for the game than any player who throws a dig of gets physical when it kicks off.

Do a lot of people here not like him because he used to play for Rangers?

bruachain wrote:

Nonsense, people here don't like Ferguson because he is consistently in trouble. In spite of all the injuries he has picked up over the years, NO PLAYER has been sent off more than him in the Premier League.

Do you not realise he was sent to prison for headbutting an opponent?

I'm not defending him, and I'm fully aware of his violent past. The topic is about his current ban, which seems to be descending into a debate about Ferguson in general. I wondered whether some of the opinions would have been clouded by his past, that's all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

bruachain wrote:
    I'm not defending him, and I'm fully aware of his violent past. The topic is about his current ban, which seems to be descending into a debate about Ferguson in general. I wondered whether some of the opinions would have been clouded by his past, that's all

i am clouded by his past, his past record for being a complete . Dont give a toss about his ranagers connection. In court a criminal sentenced will be judged on his previous convictions. I think its only fair the same should happen in football.

A player who is a diver/cheater isnt causing anyone any physical damage. While i think something should definitly be done about that aswell. I dont think you can compare to giving someone a dig.

bruachain wrote:

that and playing for everton and scoring against liverpool, not winning any favour from me
    but take a look at his behaviour, in this day who else actually punches another player?
    raising hands is one thing, but he fully decked the guy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

mayordenis wrote:
    i'd have to disagree getting under an opponents skin is all part of the game, complaining to a ref is well out of order as is looking for players to be booked, but winding up the chap marking you is part of the head games of football, i know from experience that it can give you an extra yard on you opponent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

They probably took his past record into account. Duncan Disorderly is a disgrace - he spends more time suspended that he does on the pitch,

Yeah I agree with this. I'd say his track record probably had something to do with it. Seems he never learns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Trampas

Most people don't know the otherside to Dunc.

He does alot of work for charity (donations and helping out) but unlike some players he doesn't make a song a dance about it.

He does it in his own time and doesn't put it in the press.

I am coming for a liverpool fan.

Who cares about his other side? Fair play to him and all, but it hardly excuses him.

Are you trying to justify punching or head-butting opponents just because he gives some money/time to charity?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

doesn't count when your told to do it by a judge, its called community service

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

How is this a ridiculous ban? Whatever about his bust-up with Chimbonda after the sending off, the punch to Scharner was worth a 7-match ban anyway, and a charge of assault I think. It's not a once off either, he's always just been something to bring on and make an ass out of himself, his discipline record is a disgrace.

Trampas wrote:
    I am coming for a liverpool fan.

hope its not me you're coming for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭SCULLY

has anybody got footage of the punch?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Lads you re blowing this way out of proportion. the punch was to Scharners stomach which to me is a lesser offence thn an elbow to the face which still only carries a three match ban. To talk about possibly bringing him up on assault charges is just crazy. As for the Chimbonda incident it was a nothing incident really. To geta further 4 match ban for it is ridiculous.

I started this thread to tak about his current ban and not his past bans. It seems that people on this board are just like the FA and have taken his past and used it against him in this case. It was not a 7 match banable offence. 5 games at the most, a further 4 is just too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Kingp35 wrote:
    Lads you re blowing this way out of proportion. the punch was to Scharners stomach which to me is a lesser offence thn an elbow to the face which still only carries a three match ban.
    A lot of elbows happen in a competitive clash to get to the ball in the air, and are unfortunate rather than deliberate (like Mido against Chelsea earlier in the season). Anyway, that's not really the debate, the punch to his stomach got him a 3-match ban.
    Kingp35 wrote:
    To talk about possibly bringing him up on assault charges is just crazy.
    I don't think so. He assaulted him. If Paul Scharner was walking down the street and Big Dunc came along and floored him there, it would lead to assault charges. Is it any less serious because it happened on the football field?
    Kingp35 wrote:
    As for the Chimbonda incident it was a nothing incident really. To geta further 4 match ban for it is ridiculous.
    I do agree with that, I think it was a bit of a nothing incident. But the F.A. are trying to clamp down on players not leaving the field of play after a sending off. Just look at Emile Heskey last week, he got an extended ban as well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

A lot of elbows happen in a competitive clash to get to the ball in the air, and are unfortunate rather than deliberate (like Mido against Chelsea earlier in the season). Anyway, that's not really the debate, the punch to his stomach got him a 3-match ban.

This is true but the ones that are deliberate still carry the same ban. Anyway as you say thats not the debate.
    I don't think so. He assaulted him. If Paul Scharner was walking down the street and Big Dunc came along and floored him there, it would lead to assault charges. Is it any less serious because it happened on the football field?

Sport is passionate and sometimes it can boil over. Sure look at Dublin Tyrone game in GAA. Should 6 or 7 players be brought up on assault charges?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Regardless of who the player is you should all know the rules here on whats acceptable and whats not in regards to labelling people/players.

OT should have been a 6 game ban for raising his fist regardless of where he hit and regardless of previous transgressions.

kdjac

Kingp35 wrote:
    Sport is passionate and sometimes it can boil over. Sure look at Dublin Tyrone game in GAA. Should 6 or 7 players be brought up on assault charges?

tbf, we've come (or at least i have) to expect that kinda thing in our national sports

/feels patriotic and sings the anthem

Advertisement