Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reading -v- Southampton (19.45, SS3)

• 10-02-2006 8:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭

A game of no little interest to myself, should be a good occasion. Saints new signings will find it tough to gel, and I fully expect Reading to stick a few past us.

That said, I can only be optimistic! Just kicked off. I'll try post some highlights later.
    George Burley gave debuts to all three of his new loan signings with Grzegorz Rasiak taking over from Kenwyne Jones up front while Richard chaplow and Jermaine Wright came into midfield. Matthew Oakley was ruled out by an ankle injury and andrew surman dropped to the bench.

Nathan Dyer was recalled on the right in place of Kamil Kosowski who picked up an injury in the 0-0 draw with Derby while Darren Powell was restored to the centre of defence. Danny Higginbotham moved to left-back in place of Jim Brennan.

After resting several key players for the midweek FA Cup tie at Birmingham, champions-elect Reading were at full strength with Steve Coppell having to perm two from three free-scoring strikers. He opted for Doyle and Lita with Kitson the unlucky man to be left on the bench as the runaway Royals aimed to extend their 31-match unbeaten run in the Coca-Cola Championship.

Reading: Hahnemann, Murty, Sonko, Ingimarsson, Shorey, Little, Sidwell, Coney, Lita, Doyle. Subs: Gunnarsson, Hunt, Oster, Kitson, Stack.

Saints: Bialkowski, Ostlund, Lundekvam, Powell, Higginbotham, Dyer, Chaplow, Wright, Potter, Rasiak, Madsen. Subs: Blackstock, Surman, Jones, Baird, Smith.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Ahh its like having your own reminder set.

Thanks.

kdjac

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I notice all three Southampton signings have gone straight into the starting lineup. I expect Reading to win this one fairly easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Kingp35 wrote:
    I notice all three Southampton signings have gone straight into the starting lineup. I expect Reading to win this one fairly easily.

We had no choice really. Sold 15 players last month alone.

1-0 Lita.

2-0 Doyle.

What a hero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Oh my word , im going to start supporting reading , seen as i dont follow english football. he really has a great affect on me love watching him play. feels like it's one of our own if you get me !

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

that set of clips sure makes reading look real good!

It ain't just the clips... average sides don't go 32 games unbeaten (in any division). Think they only need two more wins after tonight to guarantee promotion or something mad like that.

What month is it???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Sucks watching your team get thrashed joe, doesnt it joe?

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

KdjaC wrote:
    Sucks watching your team get thrashed joe, doesnt it joe?

kdjac

HAHAHHA , do i sense some sacasm

• Advertisement

Sure does! We've actually been a bit better than I expected though.

Rasiak and Dyer are rubbish, but Chaplow has been great and Potter has been our best player so far. Don't know what to make of Ostlund and Madsen, their attitudes are slightly questionable at the moment. Bialkowski has impressed too, I've high hopes for him (in other words, he'll do well and realise the Conference just isn't for him, so he'll move on! :D)

How good has Potter been? Every cross has been a peach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

reading have been excellent this year, very good group of players. interesting to see how they fair in the premiership. I think they will do well with the strikers they have but i wouldnt be confident of the centre backs being able to cut it.

Glad to see potter is doing well. Still think liverpool will get rid of him in the summer, but hopefully from an irish point view he will find another premiership club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Only comment I can make on this game is that Southampton were woefully poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭3greenrizla's

gimmick wrote:
    Only comment I can make on this game is that Southampton were woefully poor.

that's a bit harsh, we gave "runaway leaders" Reading a good game of it.
    http://home.skysports.com/matchreport.asp?fxid=290744&channel=championship&cpid=10

fair enough we are at our lowest point in 30 years (or should that be LOWEst) & the team was playing its first game together. what you seen was the team thats going to win the championship season next year..:)

the futures bright its RED & WHITE

COYR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Did Potter play on the right or in the centre?

On the right, it was all about the crossing on Friday night. He put in some beautiful crosses, one is on the clip I linked above (hopefully) from which Ostlund hit the angle of the bar and post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

I thought Potter had an excellent game. As for the saints playing as poorly as some people are saying, i didnt think we were that bad. We were up against unquesationably the best side in the championship and we acquitted ourselves fairly well for a side boasting so many new players.

Aye, a result would have been nice but 2-0 was realistically all we could have hoped for. Luckily for me I will be at the next game we actually win ;), Sheffield Wednesday on Saturday week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Aye, a result would have been nice but 2-0 was realistically all we could have hoped for. Luckily for me I will be at the next game we actually win ;), Sheffield Wednesday on Saturday week!

I dont think so, Wednesday getting a bit of form together in last while and not losing every game. I can see a draw at best for the Saints, the Owls will hammer them!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Big Nelly wrote:
    I dont think so, Wednesday getting a bit of form together in last while and not losing every game. I can see a draw at best for the Saints, the Owls will hammer them!

Draw written all over it lads!

Its gonna be a 9 goal thriller with Claus Lundekvam sealing it in the 95th minute to clinch his hat-trick. Don't take the dream away from me lads!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Its gonna be a 9 goal thriller with Claus Lundekvam sealing it in the 95th minute to clinch his hat-trick. Don't take the dream away from me lads!

Keep dreaming mate! MacLean is back so expect the hat-trick from him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

MrJoeSoap wrote:

Here's hoping!!!!

Advertisement