Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Phone Line Is Suddenly Broadband Capable!!!!

Options
  • 10-02-2006 10:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭

Can anyone shed any light on this? "Imagine" contacted me today, trying to sign me up to their phone package, but by chance [i'm guessing] they ran my line thru their tester for Broadband. Hey presto- pos result- when I checked this against all the other ISP testers the same result comes back- POSITIVE AND GOOD TO GO FOR BROADBAND!! All this from a phone line that was useless for BB a mere month ago.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭MadKevo

cool! dry weather?! [come to think of it: when I moved into my last house the phone line quality was audibly lousy, Eircom technician visited and sorted it out - the cable was literally damp due to it's route into house]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭IT Loser

I doubt it Mate. Interestingly the phone line was ripped up from under the carpet recently and I "dickied" with it so to speak and had some success in improving the phone line quality, vis a vis clarity of the line etc, but unlikely that is the sole reason!!!
    I think it may be that Eircom got the finger out now that the Regional Broadband is going live inside 5 weeks or so. That may be the reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Where are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

If you managed to noticably improve your voice quality by doing something with your internal phone cabling then it's quite possible that this may have been responsible for the test failure. Line tests have been known to be sensitive to wiring issues, extra extensions, etc.

Kilpedder, Wicklow. Are you a serial Killer?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

IT Loser wrote:
    Are you a serial Killer?
    GUBU ;)

If you managed to noticably improve your voice quality by doing something with your internal phone cabling then it's quite possible that this may have been responsible for the test failure. Line tests have been known to be sensitive to wiring issues, extra extensions, etc.

Basically I pulled up the carpet cos I was sick of the crackling and dial up failings. [dial up connects, works for, oh, 5 milliseconds, then signs off] I found a set of brown and blue wires, connected to what i thought was my mainline "white" phone line [contains all the coloured lines etc] and I messed with the "connections" for a bit [they were "meshed together, a real gunther job] and today I get the word that I am BB enabled. It beats out:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

IT Loser wrote:
    Kilpedder, Wicklow. Are you a serial Killer?

Man, That has to be the funniest post I have ever read on this forum :p

P.:cool:

GUBU ;)

"Brian Earl Spilner, sounds like a serial killers name, is that what you are?"

[....Vin Diesels Dominic Torretto to Paul Walkers in The Fast and the Furious, AKA the Greatest Movie of All Time [for under Nines]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

IT Loser wrote:
    Basically I pulled up the carpet cos I was sick of the crackling and dial up failings. [dial up connects, works for, oh, 5 milliseconds, then signs off] I found a set of brown and blue wires, connected to what i thought was my mainline "white" phone line [contains all the coloured lines etc] and I messed with the "connections" for a bit [they were "meshed together, a real gunther job] and today I get the word that I am BB enabled. It beats out:confused:
    I got thick one day and ripped my phone cable in two, i then wanted to use the net so i twisted them back together, i then put the end of the cable(the thing that slots into the modem) into my mouth and got an unpleasant shock... :v:

• Advertisement

I think ITLoser was responding to 'CJhaughey's question ?.:p

P :cool:

I got thick one day and ripped my phone cable in two, i then wanted to use the net so i twisted them back together, i then put the end of the cable(the thing that slots into the modem) into my mouth and got an unpleasant shock... :v:

Yes, that kind of happened to me when I was working on a line, I inadvertently put one of the wires in my mouth so as to hold it [ha ha ha ] and got a wee nip.

If you shove them up your ass I imagine that the result will be the same, unless your with eircom [in which case you might get a wallop, in a week or so. Maybe.]

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Feck! kilpedder is that on the Newtown or Greystones Exchange?

yes, correct. I fear for myself.

Feck! kilpedder is that on the Newtown or Greystones Exchange?

I'd say its Newtown. All Newtown and Kilpedder numbers used be 01 2810 or 2819

IT Loser wrote:
    I'd say its Newtown. All Newtown and Kilpedder numbers used be 01 2810 or 2819

Yeah i say so! im in kilcoole on the Greystones Exchange 287**** :mad: and five mins away from Charlesland which can get Eircom & ibb(shudders)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Just to warn yas, Eircom have qualified my line several times, accepted my request for broadband, and subsequently reneaged the offer.

Pricks. All the neighbours' lines are suitable.

what I'm scared of is that this is a scam to get all the Kilpedder people who were about to sign up with regional to do a u turn and sign with Eircom- this may work as the startup is 150 Euro with Regional and a lot less with traditional ISP's like Eircom. I don't know how long I can trust the line in its current condition.

IT Loser wrote:
    yes, correct. I fear for myself.

Heh, heh, 'Irelandoffitshead' forum, you are all off topic and crazy as well :D

P.:cool:

I ain't off topic! PS Imagine and BT are the ones telling me that my line is good to go- Eircom ain't said sh!t and they aint gonna be saying sh!t cos I ain't gonna be telling them jack sh!t about any of this. They can go to foke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I'll be round to visit sometime soon.....;)

ok, so can anyone say anything concrete on this or what?

CJhaughey wrote:
    I'll be round to visit sometime soon.....;)

lol little lan party

IT Loser wrote:
    ok, so can anyone say anything concrete on this or what?

Irish isp's = NO

IT Loser wrote:
    I ain't off topic! PS Imagine and BT are the ones telling me that my line is good to go- Eircom ain't said sh!t and they aint gonna be saying sh!t cos I ain't gonna be telling them jack sh!t about any of this. They can go to foke.

Glad to hear that, go to: www.utvclicksilver.com/
    and do yourself a good turn ;) .

P. :cool:

Advertisement