Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Differences in taste US v IRL

• 10-02-2006 10:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭

Any Americans on here will know this and anyone who has been to US will also have noticed. Our tastes are different.

For instance stuff over here is a lot sweeter. Even something as basic as a salad dressing or good example.. Dill pickles here are sweet compared to the ones you mostly get in the US. Caeser dressing is sweeter (salatfix american caeser is an exception).

However on the other hand, American products use more sugar but is less sweed and far far less rich.
    Chocolate is the best example.. Unless you go to a proper chocolate shop in the US and pay a lot of money for premium chocolate you will only get very cheap tasting chocolate.. Hell even the chocolate we use on mars bars in Uk and Ireland is way better. Americans cant believe the difference when they taste stuff i bring over.

Oh and i noticed.. 7up over there is horrible.. has no flavour. ours is way sweeter and much nicer.. I had a can over here from holland i think, it was not in english and it tasted the same as the US.. bland and disgusting.

Strange how same brands manufactured in different countries taste completely different :D

Anyway no real point to this thread.. just bored :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

I'd disagree on one point- I thought the bread over there was unreal it was so sweet. It was loaded with high fructose corn syrup, aswell as most other things. Yeuch. I don't know about salad dressing as I don't think I've ever had a ready made one.

But yes- it's amazing the difference in tastes between things like soft drinks from country to country, Fanta for example, it's horrible and watery over here, but much fruitier and zingier in Spain. It's strange to think that some test at some stage must have shown a tendency for Irish people to prefer the bland one. :confused:

Also, regarding the Dill pickles, if you don't like them to sweet, you can also find them in brine, or unsweetened vinegar over here. I have a GORGEOUS jar of tiny little vinegary ones that I use for finishing off Stroganoff. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

shabadu wrote:
    It was loaded with hiogh fructose corn syrup

I think that may be the difference, Corn syrup seems to be the US sweetener of choice.
    GM anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

actually yes the bread.. yes... i got some cheapo bread over there and it was brittle.. the taste was like the taste of burger buns only sweeter.. actually i loved it toasted with cream cheese :D Wish we could get it here.

Hey anyone tried corn bread? Its yum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Look at the slow cooker thread.
    The cornbread that the recipe makes is great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Saruman wrote:
    Oh and i noticed.. 7up over there is horrible.. has no flavour. ours is way sweeter and much nicer.. I had a can over here from holland i think, it was not in english and it tasted the same as the US.. bland and disgusting.

Yeah I noticed that about 7up too. Some shops or chippers seem to stock Dutch 7up and it's not half as nice. More like carbonated water with hint of lemon and lime. I wonder do they get it cheaper or what. Got a bottle of it that was made in Morocco too. Not as bad as the Dutch but definitely not the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Fanta tastes different in England even. It's also yellow rather than orange coloured. Not as nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Ridire_Dubh

Yes, your right about the chocolate they have over there. The quality is poor. Furthermore, the bier in the States leaves much to be desired (But I was really shocked how Bud sold so well in Dub...the Americans don't even believe that it's the "King of Beers" as claimed on the label).

Yes american beer sucks.. escept Sam Adams which is so good its not considered "domestic" beer so costs imported prices over there :D

I remember thanksgiving gone, my brother in law almost had a hernia when i made a shandy out of his precious Sam adams :D He was about to cry...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

They have peanut butter in nearly ever chocolate bar. Weirdos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Never badmouth Peanut butter bars.
    Except peanut Lions. They suck.

• Advertisement

peanut butter cups are great!!! Chocolate is cheap but the taste of the peanut butter style filling is lovely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Inisin

Peanut? I thought it tastes more like vomit. I could have just had the cheap bars though. M&M's have a hint of the same taste. The peanut cups are nice, very nice, at least they're supposed to, and do, taste of peanut. The chocolate on them.... tastes more like chocolate flavoured stuff.

As for Sam Adams.... three of us decided to try it one day. Three quarter drunk bottles later we moved swiftly on to cans of Amstel, which weren't too bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Peanut butter style filling? Is that like the chocoloate flavoured coating you get on cheapo choc ices?

Started reading on the internet about making my own chocolate recently... there are massive resources on the web as regards making your own - but damn does it look messy!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

My American flatmate's mum sent her over a care package of american candy and stuff recently. It was foul! There were Hershey's Kisses which taste like dirt. I am the biggest chocolate addict in the world and I refuse to eat them. She sent over Reeces peanut butter hearts and mini cups, but after I ate about 5 of them (about the equivilant in size to one normal reece's peanut butter cut), I felt unbearably nauseaus and couldn't sleep. And then she sent over these "candy" things, a bit like lovehearts but I'm scared to even try them because they just look like chemicals. Peanut butter M&M's are the be all and end all of good chocolate though. Nothing beats them. Yum...

Apparently the peanut butter in the states is way better than what we have here.

The nicest Fanta I've ever tasted was in Italy. It was DIVINE!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Lirange

Some things do taste vastly different. Then again there are plenty of brands that taste basically the same. I detected no difference whatsoever in the taste of Snickers bars,Twix, or M&Ms.

I can never get used to the milk. Their soups are too salty. OTT, brekkie in America is always more enjoyable because I think the eggs taste much better (as does the orange juice).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Thing i have found to be most different is definately the bread here. For one, you cant spread any kind of butter on it before it splitting in two:mad: its also much sweeter than Irish stuff. Its hard to get some decent spreadable butter also, theres all different kinds, just give me some Flora damnit and be done with it! You cant get soda bread... where i am anyway, so i had to bake some of me own, yummy :)

Fizzy drinks are different, 7up isnt as nice and they made a mess of Fanta..its not the normal orange colour, its a more of a red-orange. Always have to go get some club orange ($1.50! but worth it) at the international food store down the street.

Advertisement