Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Recommend a GPS for car?

Options
  • 11-02-2006 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭

Well its only today ive noticed how a load of the times i get directions and fail to find them and end up lost, now i know Dublin faily well but there are parts that are in a void to me :D

So was planning on getting a GPS for the car at some stage and today i decided i should go ahead and get one, now heres where you lot come in. If anyone here has a GPS in their car what type do you have and where is the best place either in bricks and mortar or online to get one.
    Ive seen a few in taximens cars that look like PDA's but would rather see what the boardies point of view and recommendations would be on what type to get etc.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Bam Bam

I got a garmin streetpilot c 320 from merlin motor city off the kylemore road.

It's brilliant! It can take you to any address in any city in Ireland and software is provided for maps of all of Europe.

But they ain't cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Omnipresence

Yeah would like to know the same myself... garmin are defo the best you can buy... tom tom and the rest are uselsess for all of ireland....

Just deciding on whether to spend the cash on a Garmin or get a PDA with a gps plugin...

-Alan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chicken_food

if at all possible try and get one in uk. Garmin i3 streetpilot is going for 144 in woolworths and 112(or something close to that) in kwiksave. Both prices in sterling.
    Im looking for a gps system for my car too.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

someone said to get a navman, are these any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

The navman's are a little more useable than the garmins. Can't comment on the navman maps.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Bam Bam wrote:
    I got a garmin streetpilot c 320 from merlin motor city off the kylemore road.

It's brilliant! It can take you to any address in any city in Ireland and software is provided for maps of all of Europe.

But they ain't cheap.
    When you say the whole of europe, does it include poland and other eastern bloc countries. All the ones I looked at stop as soon as you pass the old iron curtain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

Fifth gear did a review of a few of them in Series 8 Episode 10, they liked one called a tomtom.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭kevmac

There is one major thread allof us GPS owners pitched into a while back - do a search on Sat Nav.

But here's a round up for newbies.

You can get in-built SatNav when you buy a car - I have it in my Subaru.

You can buy a standalone portable unit like Navman or TomTom.

You can buy a Pocket PC, a GPS receiver and software like CoPilot 6 (I own an older version) or TomTom.

But the one thing you must do is make sure that whatever system you opt for that it has NavTeq maps for Ireland and not, repeat not, TeleAtlas maps as they are dreadful for Ireland.

After that you just buy yearly issued NavTeq maps priced anywhere €150 to €600 depending on the system.

NavTeq have now mapped Ireland 100% and these newest maps will be filtering into different systems from the middle of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I got one for my Dads car on ebay. The VW dealer wnated €3500 to fit one but I got one on eBay (genuine VW) for €400 complete with disc and wiring. It's the business! As the car is a VW I got it on eBay.de.

Give it a go.

• Advertisement

would anybody think that this system is any good
    http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfullop.asp?productcode=ECE1072353

ive looked at that ebay item of the garmin system but it looks dodgy.

but i found this one, should i go for this?
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/GARMIN-STREET-PILOT-C310-GPS-SAT-NAV-STREETPILOT_W0QQitemZ5865960360QQcategoryZ75327QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

i saw ones for the i3 streetpilot fot 130 buy it now with another 8 for recorded delivery. keep looking, and check the .co.uk site for more. If you wana try before you buy, head into halfords.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Sparky-s wrote:
    Well its only today ive noticed how a load of the times i get directions and fail to find them and end up lost, now i know Dublin faily well but there are parts that are in a void to me :D

So was planning on getting a GPS for the car at some stage and today i decided i should go ahead and get one, now heres where you lot come in. If anyone here has a GPS in their car what type do you have and where is the best place either in bricks and mortar or online to get one.
    Ive seen a few in taximens cars that look like PDA's but would rather see what the boardies point of view and recommendations would be on what type to get etc.

Thanks in advance.
    Just bought a Navman 520.
    Check out:
    http://www.satnavhire.ie/manuf.asp?x=Ex-Rental and
    www.expansys.ie
    It covers all of Dublin and major Irish cities as well as great UK coverage. You can get Europe as well as an extra.
    When I started it up, my address suddenly appeared on the screen. When I used it and took a wrong turn, instead of shouting at me to do a U turn, it just recalculated and told me to take the next turn.
    I bought it for a UK trip and did not expect good Irish coverage. As I said the cities and towns are great. The rural areas do not have good coverage. I bought from Expansys.ie and it was delivered within 24 hours.
    Jim.

JamesM wrote:
    Just bought a Navman 520.
    Check out:
    http://www.satnavhire.ie/manuf.asp?x=Ex-Rental and
    www.expansys.ie
    It covers all of Dublin and major Irish cities as well as great UK coverage. You can get Europe as well as an extra.
    When I started it up, my address suddenly appeared on the screen. When I used it and took a wrong turn, instead of shouting at me to do a U turn, it just recalculated and told me to take the next turn.
    I bought it for a UK trip and did not expect good Irish coverage. As I said the cities and towns are great. The rural areas do not have good coverage. I bought from Expansys.ie and it was delivered within 24 hours.
    Jim.

Ive read the reviews on that model and tbh id only be using it in dublin, no where outside, but as people have said it uses teleatlas maps which as i take isnt good, garmin seem to be good but i would be swayed to go for a pda type gps system like the navman.

Advertisement