Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multiple telephone sockets but only 1 works

Options
  • 11-02-2006 12:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Got a house built within the last 3 years. When it was being built, I asked for phone sockets in each room. Trouble is, the only socket every to work is in the corridor. The 3 other sockets are dead. I opened one up of them and it is wired up (but to god know what!).

Now, I'd like to change the location of the phone / internet connection point, to one of the 'dead' sockets. Basically, I rather not have a wireless network, and I don't want to run an ethernet cable from the corridor to the room I work in. What can I do to activate the addition phone sockets in my house?

I rang eircom, wondering if an engineer needed to come out and fix it. Was told an electrican could do it

Is it a problem with the internal wiring, are the sockets daisy chained or are they completely different telephone lines? Can an electrian fix it or do I need and Eircom engineer?

Any help appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Without knowing your own capabilities I would suggest that any sparks worth his salt could sort it out in minutes.

Before that though, can you identify where the main cable enters the house ? It's probably at the master socket if it exists, the extension sockets may be taken from here, perhaps incorrectly. Try to find the main cable and get back to us or call a sparks, 40 or 50 quid should sort it out.

ZEN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭themole

tomurchu wrote:
    Got a house built within the last 3 years. When it was being built, I asked for phone sockets in each room. Trouble is, the only socket every to work is in the corridor. The 3 other sockets are dead. I opened one up of them and it is wired up (but to god know what!).
    its a pity you left it go so longs, because you could have got the contractors, or whoever sis the original work to fix it for free.
    tomurchu wrote:
    Can an electrian fix it or do I need and Eircom engineer?
    as said already, an electrician can do it no hastle.

eircom only deal with the line coming into the house and don't deal with internal wiring. so they won't look at it as long as one of your phones works.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Eircom will do internal wiring, but expect a charge of over €50 last time I checked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 tomurchu

thanks folks. help appreciated. will get a lectrican on the job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 tomurchu

tomurchu wrote:
    thanks folks. help appreciated. will get a lectrican on the job

Electrican sorted it out today for me. He opened telephone socket in hall, he got the loose wires out and conected them in minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

how much did he charge you ... :confused:

Advertisement