Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony KDFE50A12 50 in. HDTV-Ready Television

• 11-02-2006 12:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭

heh,

im moving into my new house and looking to buy new television at best price. i came across this one shown on the link below:

http://www.dealtime.co.uk/xPF-Sony_KDFE50A12

currys.co.uk have it for - £1,219.99

i was just looking for advice as i dont know much about televisions would the picture quality in this tv be picture perfect?

if anyone else can recommend a television i would appreciate it.

brendan.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I find that these TV's have quite a good picture, but as with most RP TV's, the viewing angle is rather restricted.

That said though, there has been quite a demand on these sets.

It also has a digital terrestrial tuner, which just might be useful if/when RTE start DTT transmissions (of course these transmissions woudl need to be compatible with the builtin DTT tuner).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I have a Sharp Aquos 32" (€1299). It has the widest viewing angle of any TV I looked at. It's HD ready with plenty of AV inputs.

I'd have to recommend it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Supposed to be a fantastic set. Friend is waiting for his to be delivered. Checked them out tonight on avforums where there is loads of pics and info and the general feeling is they are fantastic. Viewing angle is supposedly 130 degrees so shouldnt be a problem at all from anywhere in a room

Here is the cheapest I found:

http://www.technikdirekt.de/main/en/lcd-plasma-tv/rueckprojektionsfs/821616/-/Article.html?fillspace=1

After what I've read tonight, I'm buying one in about 4-6 weeks. The resolution is very handy and not that awkward res that the lcds have. Nice and even 1280 x 720 so seems to be great for both xbox360 usage but most importantly it is an even pc resolution. With lcds its hard to get a 1:1 pixel mapping resolution. Usually you'd have to mess around with Powerstrip to get a decent resolution with an lcd but this should be perfect

My friend paid €1750 incl delivery for his and it came with a glass stand. If you dont need the stand you might be able to pick it up over here in a shop for around €1550 as well. Worth checking around a few places

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭brendan86

thanks for all reply's

stormcrow can i ask where your mate ordered it from at 1750euro? I seen the actual tv in currys the other day and hopfully towards the end of the week I order it.

Currys.co.uk have it for 1800euro including stand

I seen same model in local shop for 2000euro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

GStormcrow wrote:
    . Nice and even 1280 x 720 so seems to be great for both xbox360 usage but most importantly it is an even pc resolution. With lcds its hard to get a 1:1 pixel mapping resolution. Usually you'd have to mess around with Powerstrip to get a decent resolution with an lcd but this should be perfect

My friend paid €1750 incl delivery for his and it came with a glass stand. If you dont need the stand you might be able to pick it up over here in a shop for around €1550 as well. Worth checking around a few places

stormcrow, i thought you were not supoosed to play games on rear projection (screen burn on static images and all that stuff) ..have they fixed this issue or was it BS to start with?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭brendan86

I was also looking at - http://www.comet.co.uk/comet/html/cache/648_260851.html

Anyone have any idea which one is better?

fallscrim thats the first i heard about it :eek:

Brendan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

A lot of people over on avforums are using their 360 on this screen. Doesnt seem to be a problem. He ordered it in clondalkin village in GMTV. Sony centre do it for €1850 incl delivery and a stand

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

For the record, my Sony rep has informed me that there is a difference between the UK set and the set sold in Ireland.

THe UK set has a DVB DTT receiver integrated, but this has been removed in Irish sets, and replaced with a hyperband TV tuner (despite saying DVB on the box).

So, UK sets are supposedly UHF only and DTT, while Irish boxes will handle VHF signals that are used by cablecos and some RTE transmitters.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I just bought one on sale in Sony Centre in limerick. 1699 with the stand. They sold 12 of them in 24 hours. I'm not watching any more DVD's til it comes! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭xanthor

Thinking about getting one myself -

....but i've read that the response time is 16MS - what do you reckon?? will that cause noticeable flicker??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Have a look here. Should answer. all your questions. Don't think it mentioned response time specifically, but I do remember someone saying no flicker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭xanthor

MarkR wrote:
    Have a look here. Should answer. all your questions. Don't think it mentioned response time specifically, but I do remember someone saying no flicker.

Cool. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

I have one of these sets and they are the bomb. Only thing is the warm up time you will notice buit to be honest, its a great set.

Hooked up to a pc and it display fine... Think i paid 1800 all in for mine including the stand (which btw comes with the best set of instructions ever!)

Advertisement