Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Who

• 11-02-2006 12:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

A bit old I know, but It would be nice to see what people think about the band.

Me? I love them... Pinball Wizard, Boris the Spider, Acid Queen etc.

And of course Townshend's brilliant guitar skills.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Nothing wrong with old at all. Amazing band. One of the most exciting rhythm sections ever seen. Apart from Sell Out I could never really get into the albums, they sound so suppressed and tame, but the live stuff is sold gold, Leeds, Isle Of Wight, the Old Vic. Great, great band.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

The Who? Oh yes. I'll take two, please.

Sodding classic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Arucard

have tour dates been announced yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Flame Weilder

I don't know but I have read in Mojo music mag that Daltrey and Townshend are planning to make a new album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Yeah they're going to be making a new album after they play shows later this year.... they're rumoured to be playing Oxegen but they won't ever top anything by the original four members.

I've only started to get into them recently and they grow and grow on me all the time. My Generation is my favourite song of all time. With regards to the new album in the pipeline I'm a bit concerned over the amount of time since they've released a new album.

Anyway they The Who are true legends of rock n' roll.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Illuvatar

No dount one of the best of the best. Baba O'Riley all the way!!! They helped creat classic rock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,496 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

definitely one of the greats and will have to go see them if and when they tour the next album. but i really wish i could have seen the original 4 in their day, particularly moon the loon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The who's reputation seems the get bigger the longer they hang around. Having got through the 'boring old farts who should all be dead' period when no-one liked them they are now so old they qualify for legend status.

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    The who's reputation seems the get bigger the longer they hang around. Having got through the 'boring old farts who should all be dead' period when no-one liked them they are now so old they qualify for legend status.

Fair comment...lol:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I am a fan btw! :)

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

The DJ on 2fm tonight said it is a very "strong" rumour that they are headlining Oxegen on Saturday night.
    Whos next? is one of the greatest albums made imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Arucard

The Who? at Oxegen? that would be Whotastic!
    still, only a rumour thus far. tho if all rumours came true....twould make for a great festival, The Who & The Smashing Pumpkins, awwwwwwww ja

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Jim_Are_Great

kc66 wrote:
    Whos next? is one of the greatest albums made

I hear that. Amen. Praise the Lord. You get my point...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭doug1970

waited half me life for this...the who in ireland...

nearly wept like a bitch in 97 when i turned the corner to the point depot and saw a sign for gig canncelled.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

Can't wait to hear them at Oxygen! I'm not goin but my mates house it real near to it and we can hear from there!

The Who are great...

Fav songs are Pinball Wizard, Boris the Spider, Substitute, Baba O'Reilly and loads more!

Oldies rock! \m/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Rustar

What's not to like?

Keith Moon - possibly the world's first non-jazz 'lead drummer'
    John Entwistle - 'The Ox' - one of the few bassists in history to which all others are compared
    Roger Daltrey - in my top 5 voices in rock'n'roll - dirty enough for rock yet operatic as well, a la Ian Gillan of Deep Purple and David Byron of Uriah Heep.
    Pete Townshend - his guitar playing, his incredible songwriting, and stage histrionics were like nothing else before him.

I consider them the first real Hard Rock band.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 zombie_jesus

ah yeah. not bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Mr.D.Leprachaun

In my top five of best bands ever. They made Live 8 London in my opinion. I like the later stuff like We Won't Get Fooled Again and Baba O'Riley best but there's absolutely brilliant songs to be found in all periods of their career.

You know, my dad said that I am extremely retro, a.k.a I'll only listen to music that my grandad did... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

Ive enjoyed reading every single post in this thread...Im 24 and Ive loved The Who for the last 6 years. I cant get enough of their Moon,Entwistle era albums, timeless IMO. I love the fact that on those albums you can hear a bum note on the guitar/singing or maybe a missed cymbal! Keeps it human, unlike the albums nowadays where everything is click track,sample and pro-tooled to fcuking death....I play drums myself and Keith Moon is my idle. Theres some great stuff by The Who on www.youtube.com btw. My friends are more Queens Of The Stone Age, Chillis people....just sounds so cardboard in comparison to The Who. Fave album? Wouldnt be fair! Each album caught them at different stages...with My Generation the album they were under control of Shel Talmy who wanted them to do regular R n B covers, but Pete brought tunes like The Kids Are Alright, the title track and A Legal Matter to the table. A Quick One was a pre-cursor to Tommy, Sell Out is a joy...I love the jingles in between songs, feels like Im in 1967! Tommy was a monster, great acoustic guitar work, Live At Leeds? :) Whos Next captured The Who at maybe their creative peak and it captured a lot of their live show on record...closest theyve come! Quadrophenia became a cultural statement with a 2nd wave of mods 10 years after its release, The Who By Numbers I think is a fair reflection of the troubles in Townshends personal life at the time...How Many Friends? is a great track! Who Are You...Keiths swansong but still a great piece of work.

ROLL ON OXEGEN!!!!! WAHOOO!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 dricko

The Who are one of the greatest rock bands ever, oxegen is gonna be brilliant with them there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭fleshmechanic

The who is a joke without keith moon + entwistle. Bit insulting that they are calling themselves the who...at least page and plant said who they really were

Advertisement