Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiscali HELP NEEDED!!!!

• 11-02-2006 12:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭

Ok im over in the uk for the weekend, and im using someones internet connection... but there only getting around 300kbps on a 1meg line here are the stats from the sagem modem... anyone any idea what could be wrong? should i get him to ring them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Its synched at 2m/256k(BT allow extra for overheads!..unlike eircom) but can be throttled down by their telco.

What were you testing the connection with?
    Dont use speed tests remember as they are no very reliable....try sites with fat pipes like heanets British equiv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

Ive tried everything! torrents and everything! never go's above 30kb/s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Don't test with Torrents. They could be restricted. Get a nice big FTP or web site and start a big download. For a 2Mb line, you should be reaching speeds close to 200KB/s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I get usually the max on my connection on torrents

They are not restricted, im not stupid! the max speed i can get is 30kb/s on anything! torrents,ftp,irc! but the ping is very good around 15-20ms to jolt.co.uk

• Advertisement

They are not restricted, im not stupid! the max speed i can get is 30kb/s on anything! torrents,ftp,irc! but the ping is very good around 15-20ms to jolt.co.uk

No shock over the pings to a UK server.

What proof have you that they have a 1Mb line and not a 2Mb line as I though all lines in the UK now have a min connection of 2Mb these days?

RADSL might be in use....how far from the exchange and such?
    They are not restricted, im not stupid! the max speed i can get is 30kb/s on anything!
    You...so...funny!

Yeah i know im gas! ok so heres the story, just rang them there! and guess what? they where charging him 16 pound for 256kbps!!! bloody ****! and i got them to upgrade him to 1mb and that costs 15 pound, so they have been overcharging him for a package they dont even offer anymore is that allowed?!?!?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

zuma wrote:

What proof have you that they have a 1Mb line and not a 2Mb line as I though all lines in the UK now have a min connection of 2Mb these days?

Just because the lines are provisioned as a 2meg line doesn't mean they get 2meg speeds. They are capped at 1meg, so they will only get 1meg speeds.

As far as the connection goes, 30KB/s is too slow for a one meg line. They will need to escalate this matter - Give the ISP a call and tell them this. I work for a UK ISP, anything under 60KB/s on a 1meg line is considered a fault and we'd need to get an engineer to have it looked at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Yeah i know im gas! ok so heres the story, just rang them there! and guess what? they where charging him 16 pound for 256kbps!!! bloody ****! and i got them to upgrade him to 1mb and that costs 15 pound, so they have been overcharging him for a package they dont even offer anymore is that allowed?!?!?!

There ya go. Problem solved. Tiscali's billing system is somewhat of a joke from what I've read anyways.

dlofnep wrote:
    I work for a UK ISP, anything under 60KB/s on a 1meg line is considered a fault and we'd need to get an engineer to have it looked at.

AOL?

I thought the UK were going/had gone to 8Mbit nationwide but after looking at BT's website I was shocked to see that they still only offer 1Mbit and 2Mbit lines???

Have you any news as it appears odd that Ireland has faster nationwide* home DSL than the UK these days?

*=Im not talking about LLU exchanges here

• Advertisement
Advertisement