Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Plants pigments

• 11-02-2006 12:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

I have to find out what plant pigments to test to see how effective they are as as a acid/base indicator. This is for my Junior Cert. I have thought of some that i could use like rose petals (if you can find them at time of the year), peppers (red/green), red onion/cabbage.

I am wondering if anybody has any other ideas of what else i could use for this experiment.
    The exact instructions that i was given says
    "Investigate a range of plant pigments to evaluate their effectiveness as acid/base indicators"

Thanks if anybody can help

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Here's a nice link I found. There's a nice tip at the end on how to expand the work into a nice overall indicator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 sexy babes

Hey!

i jus read ur post bout ur junior cert investigation.

we wer jus assigned da same ting 2day!

i was jus wonderin av u found any oder useful sites???

do u av 2 do da oder investigation as wel??
    (a gardener suggests that the length of time taken for marrowfat peas to germinate.............)

tanxs.
    Hopefully tlk 2u soon.

Word of warning, you won't receive much help if you continue with the txtspk

ok thanks for the advice. i'm new to the site so i'm not to sure how people operate round here. can i ask why i wont receive much help if text speak or is that a reallly stupid question????

People simply won't have the patience to translate it. I usually tend to ignore any posts in txtspk, and I'm not alone in this view.

• Advertisement

ok thanks for the advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

We're doing that too. Can anyone else help?

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Geg124

Thanks for your help dudara. I found this link which i feel is much more useful and tell you what to use aswell.

http://chemistry.about.com/cs/acidsandbases/a/aa060703a.htm

Also 'beet root' works aswell i have tried that myself in school yesterday.

Yes i have the experiment about the marrowfat peas also and the other one is to investigate if a squash ball bounces higher when heated. I am doing the acid/base indicator and the marrowfat pea one. What about you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

Good for you students for using internet resources to learn, and also for communicating in language we all comprehend rapidly on boards :).
    Here's another link http://www.elmhurst.edu/~chm/vchembook/186indicator.html

We were only given a choice of two so ya I'm doing the same as you!

How did your experiment with the acid/base indicator go????

I'm so confused about the whole thing!
    And my partner isn't exactly the best partner! he just confuses me more!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 i luv 2 shop

yeah i got that to do as well.we extracted the indicator with red cabbage leaves by boiling them. we put 5 drops in an acid(dilute sulfuric acid) in a base(dilute sodium hydroxide) and water. the acid went red the neutral went blue, and the base went a greeny/yellow. so now we have the main frame of our ph scale. now we have to test it on plant pigments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

Just finished the experiments for the chemistry one today! We tested five things. Red tomatoes, red peppers, logan berries, blueberries and beet roots. Surprisingly, the beets weren't great but they did work kind of..the blueberries were the best. But I don't have the results - my stupid partner does and he didn't give them to me today to copy them. And he was the one dropping most of the acids/bases onto the indicators so he didn't do it very accurately or record them accurately. >:(
    PLUS we have to write it up in full in a sample of the real exam booklet in complete silence tomorrow! I haven't a clue what I'm going to do!

Otherwise the chemistry investigation is grand..our school is eliminating the Biology one (my favourite subject..:( ) because it's unpredictable..I think it's one about germinating seeds. But I'm sorta glad cos that sounds boring. The Physics one, we're starting on Thursday.

Thanks for the links everyone I'll chek em out now! I am SO screwed for tomorrow...though I think I'm allowed to bring in sheets and books etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Geg124

I havent done my proper one yet but we just check out how to do it with a beet root to see if it would work and it did. Killaqueen you said that they didnt work to good but i got them to work perfect although i only tried them in 1 acid and 1 base. We ground the beet with a pestle and mortor along with a small but of water. It work grand as far as i can see but that is all i have done so far. We are doing the proper one on thursday so ill let you know how it goes.

What would be the best to use? Red Cabbage, Beet Root etc. We have to let our teacher know so they can be got.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭deise_boi

i did my experiment last week. We used strawberry, red pepper, onion, grape and tomatoes.

Cheers to everyone that posted the links. Really helped me with the write up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 princessS

Hey, This is the first time I'm doing this, so i don't quite know what i'm doing! But anyway! I tried tulip petals and they worked! the acid turns red/pink colour, the water goes a weird brown colour and the base goes kindof a dark green colour! If that helps anyone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭BlueSpiral

Geg124 wrote:
    I havent done my proper one yet but we just check out how to do it with a beet root to see if it would work and it did. Killaqueen you said that they didnt work to good but i got them to work perfect although i only tried them in 1 acid and 1 base. We ground the beet with a pestle and mortor along with a small but of water. It work grand as far as i can see but that is all i have done so far. We are doing the proper one on thursday so ill let you know how it goes.

What would be the best to use? Red Cabbage, Beet Root etc. We have to let our teacher know so they can be got.
    Red cabbage is what i used, and it worked really well. We also used some bleach, baking soda(mixed with water) and a few other things. We compared then to the universal indicator ( the control, water is the other control)and they worked really well.

Advertisement