Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Substitute teaching?

• 11-02-2006 3:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

This may have been asked already, but I was wondering how exactly do you go about getting a position subbing?

I'm currently have a BSc Degree in Chemistry and Microbiology and am studying for a BSc (Hons) in Chemistry. So maybe after this summer I could try to get a position somewhere, but I haven't done much research yet.
    I'm grateful for any help anyone can offer.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Its a case of going around and handing in CVs.

Without the Higher Diploma in teaching, you'll be paid an hourly rate that stands at around €38 an hour at the moment. That only includes time spent in the classrooom. You could be in from 9am to 4pm but only have 4 classes during the day. Say the classes are 35 mins each, that'd work out at around €88 for that day. You could also be lucky and get a 9 class day..

You cant be appointed as a fulltimer without that dip. I make a living from subbing because Im in the same school every day. Ive worked my way from 1 or 2 days a week, up to 4 or 5 now.. but it has taken 2 years.

Depending on where you're from, there may be a teaching centre somewhere in your county that holds a list of available subs. The principals often consult that list so get your name on it.

Remember that getting the H.Dip depends on you're final degree mark and the total number of subbing hours you've worked up.. So battle hard for that final degree mark, and best of luck clocking up some hours!

Theres more info here..
    http://www.careerdirections.ie/CD/DBAllCareerFrame.jsp?id=618

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭silenoz

Trotter wrote:

Remember that getting the H.Dip depends on you're final degree mark and the total number of subbing hours you've worked up.. So battle hard for that final degree mark...

Thanks for the info. Since you pointed out the significance of the final mark in the final degree, I was wondering how likely I am to get accepted for the H.Dip. if I only get a "pass" grade, as things seem to be heading that way at the moment... I'm guessing this would also affect my chances of getting a job as substitute too. (?)

It wont effect your ability to get a sub job, the principals are either more worried about your previous subbing experience or, who's going to mind the 28 little wonders in the back of the class while their teacher is out having caught the flu.

Its all about how lucky you are really. You're first CV could be handed into a school where the science teacher is sitting with a lempsip considering a 3 day weekend.. or you might never hear from them.

Here's the Bible for anyone considering the H.Dip.
    http://www.pac.ie/hdip/downloads/hb06hdip.pdf

You need to be looking at P17.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭silenoz

Thanks for the help... I have a bit of reading to do now.
    I really don't know the first thing about going into teaching, so I really appreciate any info I can get.

Of course, I'm gonna get back when I have more questions!!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I've read most of the links ye posted there. Thanks for them. All I can say is yikes!

Do any of you know if an undergrad with a 2.1 second year mark in a double honours (only one teachable) has any chance of getting this? Oh, and with no subbing?

• Advertisement

dory wrote:
    I've read most of the links ye posted there. Thanks for them. All I can say is yikes!

Do any of you know if an undergrad with a 2.1 second year mark in a double honours (only one teachable) has any chance of getting this? Oh, and with no subbing?

Have a read of the CAO manual, page 17 onwards. That'll tell you exactly what chance you have. I think the cutoff in recent years was around the 44 points mark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 xbridinix

Hi,

I was wondering could anyone help me,

I currently hold a 2.2 Arts degree (subjects English and History) and I am about to start the H-Dip for Post-Primary Level with Hibernia College in October, my question is, Am I able to do subbing while completing the course? and how do I go about getting into schools?

Any help would be appreciated,

Brid :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

xbridinix wrote: »
    Hi,

I was wondering could anyone help me,

I currently hold a 2.2 Arts degree (subjects English and History) and I am about to start the H-Dip for Post-Primary Level with Hibernia College in October, my question is, Am I able to do subbing while completing the course? and how do I go about getting into schools?

Any help would be appreciated,

Brid :)

You can try, but it would be very difficult to get subbing when there are so many qualified teachers out of work. Especially teachers with English and History.
    To be honest, I think you should talk to a principal about your prospects after the course. Just for your own sake. I'm doing the Dip now but only because some principals told me they had trouble finding Irish teachers. They all told me that they would have told me not to bother if I had common subject like English, Geography and History.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 ldoll

It really does depend on finding a school. Have you found a school to do your teaching practice in? I'd start with that and then let them know you're available to cover any classes. Try and pick a big school because there's more chance of cover becoming available :)

Advertisement