Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless Keyboard

• 11-02-2006 9:29am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Has anyone ever used a wireless keyboard during a complete re-install of XP? I assume you borrow a normal plug in usb/ps keyboard until you get xp installed and then install the drivers for the wireless keyboard from there on? Just curious to know if you know different....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

I'm not sure about a keyboard, but I've used a wireless mouse through 2 or 3 reformats without trouble. Normally the drivers are for using the extra/programable keys.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Manaris

I did this exact thing only last week... My wireless keyboard's base station plugs in to pc via ps2 onnection, so as far as windows is concerned, it is a standard ps2 keyboard.. As said below, the drivers are usually only for extra keys/media buttons etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

I'm not sure about a keyboard, but I've used a wireless mouse through 2 or 3 reformats without trouble. Normally the drivers are for using the extra/programable keys.

Hi HomeofDub,

Are you sure? I have a Belkin model that came waith a wireless dongle which transmits to the keyboard and mouse. I only use the keyboard now as I found the response time sometimes lagged when using both. I understand about the extra features like the new buttons would be driver related... but in a reinstall situation / pure dos / linux setup enviornment did you find a wireless usb keyboard a hassle? Just curious! Thanks!

Actually meant to mention that my motherboard bios would be several years old - so maybe modern boards would have wireless usb support from the word go... although I honestly don't know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

hamster wrote:
    Hi HomeofDub,

Are you sure? I have a Belkin model that came waith a wireless dongle which transmits to the keyboard and mouse. I only use the keyboard now as I found the response time sometimes lagged when using both. I understand about the extra features like the new buttons would be driver related... but in a reinstall situation / pure dos / linux setup enviornment did you find a wireless usb keyboard a hassle? Just curious! Thanks!

Hamster is the keyboard & mouse using bluetooth or RF to connect, sounds like bluetooth so would suggest swapping the two while you reinstall OS then reinstall drivers. Have heard but not confirmed that the belkin bluetooth donglw has compatability probs with SP2, anyone?:confused:

• Advertisement

Hamster is the keyboard & mouse using bluetooth or RF to connect, sounds like bluetooth so would suggest swapping the two while you reinstall OS then reinstall drivers. Have heard but not confirmed that the belkin bluetooth donglw has compatability probs with SP2, anyone?:confused:

Hi MunsterCycling, It's RF.

hamster wrote:
    Hi MunsterCycling, It's RF.

Mmmm... Good that its RF... better than the blueface sorry bluetooth versions. Does it work when you boot into the bios? If so then I suspect that it will work fine, if not then beg borrow or steal (ok not the last one) a wired keyboard for the re-install.

Good luck with the instal.

Reactivating, had to do it the other day for the desktop, speaking with a nice chap from India, sounded like I was having a conversation with a friend of mine who just by conincidence is also from India!!!:D

Mmmm... Good that its RF... better than the blueface sorry bluetooth versions. Does it work when you boot into the bios? If so then I suspect that it will work fine, if not then beg borrow or steal (ok not the last one) a wired keyboard for the re-install.

Good luck with the instal.

Reactivating, had to do it the other day for the desktop, speaking with a nice chap from India, sounded like I was having a conversation with a friend of mine who just by conincidence is also from India!!!:D

Thanks MunsterCycling....

Actually it does work in the bios. It will probably work so. The yearly reinstall sigh! I install some much just to try stuff and uninstall later but the residue builds up no matter how careful one is with the registry or file cleanup. My P3 probably got the biggest slow bump when that xp2 service pack came out.

Indians? Yep, work with 'em every day in my Oracle PL/SQL job. Sridhar, Sarma, Dinesh, Ganesh... you name it! :D They are really nice folk though, know a good laugh, have a good time and work hard. I get on with them great.

Yep, worked fine. Wireless detected from the word Go.

hamster wrote:
    Yep, worked fine. Wireless detected from the word Go.

Ahhhh another happy camper!!! /Does a little shuffle dance...:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement