Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gilmore or Waters???

• 11-02-2006 12:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

I'm curious to know how many people prefer Roger Waters over Dave Gilmore and vice versa especially since 1984 when they started to play the Floyd stuff as individuals (even though Gilmore had Mason and Wright for alot of it)!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Dave Gilmore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

waters is an arrogant bastard. he's so irritating. he thinks he is pink floyd

Syd Barrett is Pink Floyd, they wrote good songs once after he left/kicked out he was a genius.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Crazy Diamond

I agree,Dave Gilmore is a legend as is Syd.Waters is an arrogant pr**k!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

Waters wrote all the good songs, Gilmour while a great guitarists proved that without Waters the Floyd were muck. Only one good song (high hopes) recorded by them after the court case with Roger Waters says it all really

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Mr. Nice Guy

gilmour is my hero..... favourite guitarist of all time

and as for the user who said they've only had one good album since syd left......thats bollocks.

piper at the gates of dawn was a fantastic album but it doesn't compare to darkside of the moon. the division bell, obscured by clouds and momentery lapse of reason are all fantastic.... not to mention the wall..... pink floyd evolved over time like all other great bands..... a more recent example being radiohead.

anyway waters is an ignorant ****er and if it wasn't for him floyd would still be recording

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Gilmour. Waters is just too pretentious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Floyd with Waters were better but then Waters solo stuff is'nt great either. Floyds sound was underpined by Gilmours guitar so without him they simply would'nt have sounded nearly so good.

Mike

gilmour is my hero..... favourite guitarist of all time

and as for the user who said they've only had one good album since syd left......thats bollocks.

piper at the gates of dawn was a fantastic album but it doesn't compare to darkside of the moon. the division bell, obscured by clouds and momentery lapse of reason are all fantastic.... not to mention the wall..... pink floyd evolved over time like all other great bands..... a more recent example being radiohead.

anyway waters is an ignorant ****er and if it wasn't for him floyd would still be recording

Read my post, I said they still wrote good songs after Barrett left, but that Barrett was a genius. Course they had good albums after Barrett left, where did I say they didn't?

(Actually fairs fair, I've no idea why I've the word "once" in in that sentence, I think I might have edited "They still wrote good songs once Barrett left" into the above sentence)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

i prefer Waters solo stuff to Gilmores, Waters music progressed a lot since the breakup and I think Amused to Death is far better than A Momentary Lapse of Reason or About Face or indeed The Division Bell. Rogers stuff is cynical but theres a lot more wit and depth to be found in the lyrics and the music is very imaginative, helped a lot by the likes of Jeff Beck playing on a few tracks. Who cares whether hes arrogant aszhole, so was jim morrison!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭booth

Gilmour is unbelievable. As far as I'm concerned he shaped the sound of Floyd more than Waters although I have to admit without Waters' lyrics it just wouldn't be the same either.

Throughout the years I've realised that if anything had been different it wouldn't have been Floyd. I mean Mason isn't the best drummer but it wouldn't have been Floyd without him.

But yeah, much prefer Gilmour over Waters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭toffo

The stuff since Waters left wasn't great, they could still put on one hell of a live show though.
    Gilmour, what a player, has to be one of the best ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

Roger Waters has some amazing solo albums. Gilmour's albums were alright, but nothing too special. Waters were really top quality stuff. And his live show is outstanding.

The post Waters Floyd albums are both pretty good though.

Who do I prefer? I love them both. They represent two sides of the Pink Floyd coin and since I loved every aspect of Pink Floyd I have found things to enjoy in both men's solo careers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭dimerocks

apparently roger waters is doing a 15date european tour this summer and will be hitting cork, playing the marquee. i would love that. it was in some free newspaper in cork today. ill pick it up on the way home and read it properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

The main point seems to have been missed
    that pink floyd always have and will always be one of the mostoverated bland bands of all time

*awaits backlash*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

The main point seems to have been missed
    that pink floyd always have and will always be one of the mostoverated bland bands of all time

*awaits backlash*

I agree with you to some extent. There's a few Pink Floyd tracks/albums I like (Meddle is a great album) but as I said recently on another thread, they're no Can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Waters over Gilmore. Waters wrote the lyrics, and that's probably the main thing I love about em.

Oh, someone said "Waters is an arrogant b*stard, he thinks he IS Pink Floyd"

Well... Tbh, without him they were pretty damn average.

Advertisement