Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online DVD Rental in Ireland

• 11-02-2006 1:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

Would anyone be interested in an online DVD store just for the Irish (Maybe UK) Market that is similar to NetFlix or Amazon's DVD rental system?

How much would you pay per month for a subscription and how many DVD's would you expect to receive?

Is there already such a site?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭shltter

Graham wrote:

Screenclick are absolutely brutal

Customer service is terrible they dont send out DVDs when they are supposed to it is very hard to get any new releases etc

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Easy Rider

Yes there is two, one is www.busybeedvd.com, the other I can't remember but I have seen it advertised...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭branners69

Easy Rider wrote:
    Yes there is two, one is www.busybeedvd.com, the other I can't remember but I have seen it advertised...

I use busybee.. I have the 2 dvds for €19.99 option.. I only really use them for older, classic films which I cant get in Xtravision.. I pretty much exhausted all the 5 for €9 Dvds in my local Xtravision!!

I have never used screenclick so I cant comment on them.. both I believe offer 2 weeks free trial..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Maxwell

I took on both busybeedvd and screenclick at the same time to see if I could compare them.

I received 2 titles off each both at the same time, I sent them back at the same time to see which could handle the turnaround time etc......well by the end of the month I had got about 12 titles from busybee and about 6 from screenclick. Screenclick were a disaster and the customer service was terrible. Everytime you dealt with them, it was by e-mail and they would NOT give their individual name (i.e. instead using "yours, screenclick.com") and therefore there was no accountability. Then when I cancelled, they charged me the next month even though they didn't send out any titles. It took me 3 weeks then to get my money back.

I tried both and in my opinion - busybee where the clear winners.

But the only problem with both is that you are not guaranteed to get the title you want for a good while - i.e. the recent high profile releases, I was waiting weeks for them and usually got my 8th/9th choices.
    Although the major downside, is not their fault - its An Post and remember if you get a title on Thursday, you send it back on Friday, you don't get another title till about Tuesday/Wednesday - that is because your post is collected on the Friday, doesn't get to their offices till Monday, they then send you out another title that eveing and you don't get it till the Wednesday, then you watch it send it back the Thursday/Friday and the whole cycle starts again. You end up only getting to see 1 title or 1 depending on your sign up for the week. Not exactly perfect!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 wolrabp

Thanks i think that answers my question, great response.

Advertisement